Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my feeder going again last Tuesday. I thought I might take a hog with my muzzleloader. Wednesday evening I was sitting in the stand as two young hogs came out of the pines and started grazing on the rye grass and oats I had planted last fall. I thought for sure they would come on down to the feeder and I'd have about a 50 yard shot at one of them. As they grazed down toward the feeder, suddenly one looked up and saw the feeder! She stopped dead still for a few seconds looking at the feeder. Then she turned an ran back into the pines with the other little sow right behind her. I guess that was the first time they had seen a feeder and neither of them knew what it was. I think I'll go back down there tomorrow and see if they have found the corn yet. :grin: I took this photo of them before they saw the feeder. They were really "piggen out" on that rye grass!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Longwinters...... There's no closed season on hogs in Texas. The only thing that might stop you from hunting hogs would be the hot weather. And yes there are lots of trees in Texas. :D Timber is one of the main industries in East Texas. Here's a couple of photos from my hunting lease.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Were you waiting for one with more meat on his ribs to step out ?
Johnny Oinker Black or Red , delicious I like em both
Those guys look like they are in range to me. For us folks that aren't blessed with hog hunting opportunities it is very hard to let one walk. As my hunting buddy would say when describing his theory of trophy hog hunting, " I'm holding out for the first one" . It don't matter if the first one to step out is a "bread box" pig with milk on his nose, or big ol' boar, he's gettin a free ride to Nebraska. If I could get a mess of baby pigs and 5 gal jar I could make some pickled pigs. Not feet, pigs.

Great Photos, Any body have photos of their hog camps.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm with JeffG... It sure would be nice to live in an area like that. And, with my loss of ability to chase after hogs with dogs, having a set-up like that sure would be sweet. It would even get me away from my wife "YELLING"[/color] at me...

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Hey Ironwood

where in the great state of Texas are you located? You place looks alot like my lease, 10 miles from the house. Do you plant anything in your plots during the summer too? Have you tried peas in the sandy soil? My place has been logged 5 years back and some of it is so incrediblly thick now. I have trapped a good number of hogs already this year. They are really active right now.
markc

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shb, Ironknees........ The photo was taken with a digital camera @ 10X so the hogs are a little out of range for me. I had my .50 cal. Hawken Muzzleloader with fiber optic sights. Had they gotten up to the feeder one of them would have been toast! :D

markc... I'm just up the road a ways in Lufkin. I also have a lease just out of Corrigan. You, Howie, and I need to get together for coffee one of these days.

I threw out a few blackeyes last fall and the deer worked on them pretty good. Other than that it's just a mixture of rye grass and oats in the fall. I'm thinking about some crimson clover this fall along with the rye grass and oats.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zachary.....I haven't had a chance to get back down there, but I'm sure those, or some others are gobbling up that corn by now. Maybe I can get down there in the morning. I can be in that stand in 25 minutes from my home. :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
ironwood

Yes we do need to get together soon do ya still have my home #### I will be hog hunting tomorrow was supposed to go today but i slept 13 hrs i have some work to do tomorrow filling up feeders oving feeders for Mr.Tolar then i will stroll down the creek and look for a good eating size piggy. about 125 lbs or so What kind of Hawkens do you have as i am wanting to hunt hogs with black powder and some big heavy conicals i went and bought me COONSKIN HAT THE OTHER DAY and will wear it the first day of squirrel season

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Get together

Yes ironwood, we should try n get together atleast for some coffee and story telling. Howie I am still wanting to take my wife to hunt some axis does. I will have her new rifle in hand in a week, then after a sightin, we should be ready to arrange a trip to the wilds of Woodville.
markc

·
Registered
582 Posts
Picket house is a great meeting place

The pickett house would be a great meeting place as it has some great food contact Bill at 409-283-3909 about axis as some have been having babies so how many pigs have ya trapped this yr???? i am thinking o doing a little trapping also

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Howie... The Picket House sounds good to me. You and Mark set the date. I can make it almost anytime.

I don't do any trapping but a friend of mine does, at times. I think he has trapped 11 since deer season started. Another fellow has a really good trap down near the stand where I took this photo. Again, I don't think he keeps it going. I only heard him mention one big sow. Trapping them sounds like a little too much work for me! :grin:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ironwood

i think you are right about trapping being alot of work, i dont have acces to a 4 wheeler so manual labor is how id get them out i just talked to the guy where i hog hunt at and there is another big one I am going thursday to look for him the creeks are swollen now as we are getting alot of rain. I have a few good leads on other hogs also people hate them around here as they are getting in eoples yards and all so i may have more opportunties to hunt just trying to work deals with people as i am not rich luckily i am a worker as i mow for people and willl be doing hay for Mr. Tolar. what about squirrel season??? would like to meet up with you and mark for some squrrel hunting then we could eat at puickett huse after sound intereting???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.