Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
Speaking of "chemicals", they are ever so much MORE tasty when killed DRT and they never knew what hit them, than the alternative of poking a hole in them and then chasing them down to either dispatch or find dead somewhere else. The "primordial soup" of fight or flight chemicals in the blood and muscle tissue does not marinate the meat to any palatable liking of which I am aware. It can be masked to a degree, but is wholly better to dispatch a hog DRT - lights out - from the get-go without the chemicals and kill them without their faintest knowledge of what hit them. Oh yeah. Pork - it's what's for dinner!

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
LO,

I agree a .22LR to the brain when they don't have a clue you are around is definitely the best way. I have a friend in Okeechobee that will catch them in his trap and cut them and throw them in a pen behind his barn for three weeks. He puts the corn, sweet feed grain and cotton seed meal to them and the results after three weeks is pretty dang good. I like for the meat to still have the faintest hint of wild to it.

Clifford

·
Registered
214 Posts
The largest caliber that I can remember shooting a hog with is a 223 placed right behind the ear or neck region. They drop where they stood. I have friends that use everything from a 308 to a 338 mag., to me it's overkill while tearing up a lot of good meat and I've seen hogs even run off after being blasted my these calibers. I do still use my 7mm mag. for deer hunting because at my age I selective hunt for good bucks and I don't want them to get away.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts