Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wink: I'm thinking about buying a Hogue rubber grip for my Super Redhawk for hunting. In your opinion, do they help with the recoil & control?

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Now I like the look of the wooden grips, but the hogue grips have a better grip and it make's for better control in my opinion. You will also have less felt recoil. :D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
On the used Redhawk I got it had the standard pacmyer grip, these using a fairly warm load ate into my hand. Got a set of Hogue and can spend the whole afternoon shooting the same load and not wear a hole in my hand.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
570 Posts
got hogues on my srh so far i like them

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Gun Runner said:
On the used Redhawk I got it had the standard pacmyer grip, these using a fairly warm load ate into my hand. Got a set of Hogue and can spend the whole afternoon shooting the same load and not wear a hole in my hand.

Gun Runner
I have never liked the pacmyer grip. Just to hard.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
I agree with the above posters only wish they made their 500 X frame grips for the Redhawk.

·
1,876 Posts
I agree with Redhawk 1...I had a slight issue with consistency when shooting my Super Blackhawk Hunter with hunting gloves on with the stock black laminate grip. I switched to the Hogue rubber grip and never looked back...I love the feel and the finger grooves make is easy to gain a consistent grip. Check out the pic...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just took the Hogue rubber grips off my .44 and put on a Hogue smooth wood grip. The rubber ones started rubbing a sore spot in my palm after a half box or so of full house loads. The wood ones slip just enough not to do that. Both are the finger groove type. Those goncalo alves grips sure look good with stainless steel.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I agree with Redhawk 1...I had a slight issue with consistency when shooting my Super Blackhawk Hunter with hunting gloves on with the stock black laminate grip. I switched to the Hogue rubber grip and never looked back...I love the feel and the finger grooves make is easy to gain a consistent grip. Check out the pic...

Good looking gun there WNY_Whitetailer. 8)

·
1,876 Posts
Thanks for the compliment...I like the look of the laminate wood better but you got to go with what works...I choose function over fashion.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
WNY_Whitetailer said:
Thanks for the compliment...I like the look of the laminate wood better but you got to go with what works...I choose function over fashion.
I also like the look of wood grips. But like you said, go with what works. :D When I had my BFR in 500MAG I could not keep a set of wooden Hogue grips on it. The recoil kept splitting the grip. I had to switch to the rubber grip, it also felt better when shooting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
whitetailer that is a fine looking rig alright. I looked hard at the RSBH Bisley Hunter before settling on the Dan Wesson.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I just received a set of rubber Hogue grips yesterday for my 454 Super Redhawk. I like the finger groves also the Hogue has. :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a pretty good sized set of hands on me, and the stock grips on my redhawk were just a bit too small. I went lookin for some new grips, and the local sporting goods had some Hogue rubber.

I like em.

·
1,876 Posts
John said:
I have a pretty good sized set of hands on me, and the stock grips on my redhawk were just a bit too small. I went lookin for some new grips, and the local sporting goods had some Hogue rubber.

I like em.
Good point John...The rubber grips do fill larger hands nicely. I had the same problem with my SBHH. The rubber grips are the perfect size for me now.

·
22,475 Posts
I HATE RUBBER GRIPS but i have to say that on a smith anyway those figergrove houges are good feeling grips just dont tell anyone i have a few sets of them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I tried the Pachmyer's on my 480 SRH and the recoil twisted the gun up. I went back to the factory grip. Just my two cents.

Hcliff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not a fingergroove guy myself, but them Hogues do feel nice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts