Graybeard Outdoors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got it through a trade with a guy that has built a few. I just had a few questions and concerns about it that I wanted to square away before I try and sell it to someone, or I may just keep it.

The it was said to have been milled from round stock material. The bore is 3 7/8", cannon length is 78", total length is 11'.

These pictures aren't the best, but from what you can see and the information that I have provided can you give me your overall opinions on this piece, any advice, its limitations/ durability, or any concerns that you may have as well. Also an estimated value? What is the best material to mill a cannon out of? I dont know much about this area, thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,005 Posts
Re: Looking for advice on this cannon that I just got

rla005 said:
Thanks, I am looking forward to all the positive comments.
I'm sorry this is going to be a difficult request to fulfill. I can see very little positive about this gun.

From what little information you have given and from what I can see, in order to meet the minimum safety requirements we recommend here, the minimum diameter of your barrel over the chamber should be 11 5/8 inches. Any thing less should be considered unsafe.

I have never heard of a material called Grade A, perhaps some one else has.

Absent any additional credible information on the construction of this "gun" I can not recommend you fire it at all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Looking for advice on this cannon that I just got

From the photos it looks like it has a breach plug, does it? How well do you know the person that built it and would he give you a honest description on how it was built? Just asking cause it also doesn't look like it was built from solid round stock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.