Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this gun as a family heirloom. I am the 4th generation who has owned this gun. It has a problem with a random misfire, meaning it's not always the same chamber that misfires. Doesn't matter so far with ammunition manufacturers. I've tried both Winchester and Magtech. Would really like to see this gun functioning the way that it should. My Gunsmith has it right now making a new mainspring thinking that might be the problem. Anyone got any ideas about it?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could this be a problem with more modern cartridges having a harder primer? All the primers that were on the misfires were dented but apparently not enough to fire the round? If this is the problem, is there a center fire small hand gun primer available if I could find someone to reload?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has also been suggested that this gun should probably be loaded with ammo similar to what would be a Cowboy Action Shooting. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have one & have problems firing double action. The barrels in bad shape and it's probably only good for parts. Think it would cost more than it's worth to have it fixed but I keep it around since my neighbor gave it to me right before he passed.
Hopefully the new mainspring will cure yours.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I have had that problem with my IJ Cadet .32 S&W Long. Fortunately it has an adjustable (coil) spring. Had to set it quite stiff befor it was reliable.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess that's why my Gunsmith is thinking that it needs a new mainspring. Like I told him, I know the gun isn't worth much but it has a lot of sentimental value but I sure would like to see it working the way it is supposed to. I remember my great grandpaw carrying it in the zippered upper pocket of his bibbed overalls. My grandmother carried it in her pocketbook. Don't remember Dad carrying it. Just remember him dragging it out and shooting it every so often. I've shot it myself too but the more I shot it, the worse the misfire got.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully I will find out something soon.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Could be that replacing the spring will do the trick. I have two F&W pistols - one in .32 S&W and one in .38 S&W. My reloads and modern primers. No Problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well hopefully soon I can share if this fixed my problem. My gunsmith is back at work now and he says mine is one of the first projects he's doing now. Hopefully soon I can get to where I can reload for mine as well. If you don't mind me asking, what reload data are you using in your 32?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
On my IJ Cadet 32 S&W long, I load 5 gr Unique under a .311-.315 thumb pressed round ball. With my friend's break action IJ 32 S&W (short) I load 1.6 gr Unique under the same ball.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay. Is it a preference thing for you guys or something else? I've heard that these guns aren't really designed for the factory loads that are available today. That's all that I have for mine right now. I've got some from Winchester and some from MagTech. I've heard that I probably should shoot something in it comparable to a Cowboy Action Shooter load.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Can't find any for sale, so I reload. Light loads are fun and once in a while I even pot the old stump across the driveway without much noise. Mine is a solid frame and my rifle is a single shot. My neighbor has a break action so I load it really light since it's for BP.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess maybe I got lucky on finding some factory loads. I'm keeping all the brass in hopes of one day being able to do some reloading. Haven't checked on all the components lately but the last time I checked the primers were the most difficult thing to find.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Okay. Is it a preference thing for you guys or something else? I've heard that these guns aren't really designed for the factory loads that are available today. That's all that I have for mine right now. I've got some from Winchester and some from MagTech. I've heard that I probably should shoot something in it comparable to a Cowboy Action Shooter load.
They were designed for black powder loads. Even light smokeless loadings have different burning characteristics.
In my earlier post I wrote that I used a 93 grain lead bullet. NOT. I loaded a 70 grain lead bullet.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay. I will be changing it's diet when I get it back home.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found some small pistol primers a few minutes ago at Zinc Point. 160 and some change for 1000 primers.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
OUCH! on the primer cost. If you load those little S&Ws just load them with starting charges or use something like trail boss. I'm not a fan of black in a double action, too hard to clean. I load the 32 S&W long for a small pistol and use tiny charges of unique under a little round nose lead bullet. The only worry is making absolute sure I don't double charge a case.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the little gun gets dirty pretty quick even with modern powder. Got it back from my gunsmith today. I haven't got to do any test firing with it but he did. He says the new hammer spring was exactly what it needed. Maybe I can shoot it some in the next day or two and find out for sure myself. I don't want to shoot it alot though cause I remember reading somewhere that modern powder in this gun may have contributed to the weakening spring. Has anybody else ever heard this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts