Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Well the little gun gets dirty pretty quick even with modern powder. Got it back from my gunsmith today. I haven't got to do any test firing with it but he did. He says the new hammer spring was exactly what it needed. Maybe I can shoot it some in the next day or two and find out for sure myself. I don't want to shoot it alot though cause I remember reading somewhere that modern powder in this gun may have contributed to the weakening spring. Has anybody else ever heard this?
Probably not the spring, but maybe the frame. 50+ years ago I had a large frame IJ in 38 S&W that, in hindsight, stretched the latch. Had that fixed by a LGS, but the next time I shot it the latch stretched again. So I sold it. Didn't know then they were for black powder, that is, very light loads if you are going to use smokeless powder.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've had a couple of good suggestions on black powder loads but nothing on a light smokeless yet. Wish I had something for it now other than the ones that I recently purchased. Thinking on keeping those and pull 'em apart then load back with black powder or a light smokeless. I don't have any way to reload myself right now though so just keeping those ideas rolling around in my head for now.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I've had a couple of good suggestions on black powder loads but nothing on a light smokeless yet. Wish I had something for it now other than the ones that I recently purchased. Thinking on keeping those and pull 'em apart then load back with black powder or a light smokeless. I don't have any way to reload myself right now though so just keeping those ideas rolling around in my head for now.
See post #11 for a light load. There are also some postings and utube posts loading round balls over light loads. There are also some articles in the Rifleman over the years that might help.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
At long last! Finally! This family heirloom has returned home and functioning the way that it should.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Brown Wood Tints and shades Hardwood Font
Wood Door Body jewelry Jewellery Button

21 - 24 of 24 Posts