Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made some breakfast burritos this morning. Just a few ingredients. Scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, breakfast sassage. Drizzled a little tabasco green pepper sauce on it. Fabulous. I’m sure this is a plug for the co. But they deserve it as it is one fine sauce. You can pick up a couple ounce bottle for 2 bucks and if you like hot sauce you’ll love this stuff. Hot and flavorful. Mcilhenny co. Avery island Louisiana brand. Also has milder jalapeño Tabasco on the neck. Try it...

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I just noticed my bottle of green tobasco expired in 2015. Still using a few shakes for eggs. Need to hurry up and finish it off before it's 10 years beyond the expiration date.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
For sure, not all hot sauces are created equally! I know many folks really appreciate Tabasco brand...but I am not one of them. I don't know how it works for others, but when I use Tabasco...I have a remaining hot sauce taste after the food is consumed.

My favorite brand is Frank's hot sauce. When I'm done eating it..I'm done tasting it.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just noticed my bottle of green tobasco expired in 2015. Still using a few shakes for eggs. Need to hurry up and finish it off before it's 10 years beyond the expiration date.
It’s jalapeño and vinegar. Pretty sure it will last forever.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For sure, not all hot sauces are created equally! I know many folks really appreciate Tabasco brand...but I am not one of them. I don't know how it works for others, but when I use Tabasco...I have a remaining hot sauce taste after the food is consumed.

My favorite brand is Frank's hot sauce. When I'm done eating it..I'm done tasting it.

You are missing the mark my friend. I’m not recommending the red variety here...

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
You are missing the mark my friend. I’m not recommending the red variety here...
I could stand corrected, since I was addressing the red product in both cases. Yes; hot sauce seems to last a long time... I believe I am using a date expired bottle right now.

I normally store a once-opened bottle in the refrigerator..do you guys do so ?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I like Frank's too. But the green jalapeno tobasco is unique. Not as hot as the regular tobasco and very good flavor.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could stand corrected, since I was addressing the red product in both cases. Yes; hot sauce seems to last a long time... I believe I am using a date expired bottle right now.

I normally store a once-opened bottle in the refrigerator..do you guys do so ?

Once opened I put it in the fridge.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like Frank's too. But the green jalapeno tobasco is unique. Not as hot as the regular tobasco and very good flavor.
It really shines when you cook with it and cook off the vinegar. It becomes thicker and intensifies the flavor. Fantastic...

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am a Cholula user. Very recently I discovered Valentina at Walmart because there was no Cholula to be had. I think I may very well have changed my brand allegiances. Valentina is thicker than Cholula; stays where you place it on your scrambled eggs. Also has a richer, deeper color to it.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I really don't like the super hot sauces. I guess because I like to taste the food.. ..But that's just my preference..

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I've always been an original Tabasco fan, dont care for the other varieties. Frank's, cholula, crystal are all kinda bland in my opinion

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am a Cholula user. Very recently I discovered Valentina at Walmart because there was no Cholula to be had. I think I may very well have changed my brand allegiances. Valentina is thicker than Cholula; stays where you place it on your scrambled eggs. Also has a richer, deeper color to it.
That Valentina is some great stuff! My wife picked up a 34oz bottle (yes, just over a quart!) maybe 6-8 months ago and I've got it halfway gone.

We probably have at least 3 or 4 different types of hot sauce in the house right now. Red Tabasco for certain things (I will get some green now too) and good old Pete's travels with me on most of my hunting trips.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I make my own and that is about all that I use since I created it based on my taste. It's hotter than most would like, but it is scalable. It' fermented similarly to tabasco, but all of the zing is from the fermentation and not vinegar. The sauces (which are most) that add vinegar cover the flavors of the peppers and spices imo. They add the vinegar to make it more shelf stable.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I make my own and that is about all that I use since I created it based on my taste. It's hotter than most would like, but it is scalable. It' fermented similarly to tabasco, but all of the zing is from the fermentation and not vinegar. The sauces (which are most) that add vinegar cover the flavors of the peppers and spices imo. They add the vinegar to make it more shelf stable.
Since this section is for recipes? Being a smart guy I think ya know where I’m goin with this:tango_face_glasses:

·
Registered
346 Posts

That sounds pretty good. The thing I don't like about Tabasco is all of the vinegar. I like Franks much better than Tabasco.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts