Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparing for my Manysodas hunting trip I just put the finishing touches on sighting in another 30-30 Topper barrel I mated to an SB2 receiver. This is the third such minor Topper 30-30 project I finished. This rifle has the newer NEF (Choate)synthetic buttstock with the older wooden thin barrel channel Topper style forend painted with black "truck bedliner" paint to give it the same texture as the buttstock. Larry cut and recrowned the barrel to 20" for this project and he did very nice work. I have two more such Topper barrels to complete, hopefully this winter. I proceed as funds become available.

What I again noticed today is that these 30-30's are just plain fun to shoot and accuracy is outstanding. While these rifles have shot excellent with various Barnes-Hornady-Sierra 125-135 grain bullets, my latest loading and my new hunting loads consist of the new LeverEvolution propellant and 170 grain Sierra FN bullets. I use the max charge and the loading data exactly published on the Hodgdon website for the LE powder and I couldn't be happier with the consistency of velocity(2300+fps) and the superb accuracy this loading has produced. This rifle shot 1/2" two shots groups all morning.
H&R has in the past and still is producing some very accurate 30-30 barrels. Life is good..

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Did you know it is against GBO rules to hoard 30-30 barrels? The rules say you must offer up excess barrels to the classifieds within 30 days of acquiring the barrel that put you over the hoarding line. One man 2 barrels is OK. One man three barrels exceeds the rules.

I'll be keeping my eye on the classifieds to make sure you are in compliance. A moderator will send you a written violation form within 10 days.

Also, bragging without pictures is another rule breaker.

;D

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
briannmilewis said:
Did you know it is against GBO rules to hoard 30-30 barrels? The rules say you must offer up excess barrels to the classifieds within 30 days of acquiring the barrel that put you over the hoarding line. One man 2 barrels is OK. One man three barrels exceeds the rules.

I'll be keeping my eye on the classifieds to make sure you are in compliance. A moderator will send you a written violation form within 10 days.

Also, bragging without pictures is another rule breaker.

;D
Hoarding, Heck I'm still one short as I'm trying to pass one onto each of my six grandsons.
I would still have to have even another as I might want to use one myself now and then. To top it off (pun intended)Topper barrels are hard to find. Been at this quite a few years to get the ones I have. ;)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
carbineman said:
Hoarding, Heck I'm still one short as I'm trying to pass one onto each of my six grandsons.
I would still have to have even another as I might want to use one myself now and then. To top it off (pun intended)Topper barrels are hard to find. Been at this quite a few years to get the ones I have. ;)
FWIW, I saw a 30-30/12Ga Topper on sale in Gun Broker, about two days ago. It looked like a stainless or nickle barrel.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
I've had two. a 30-30/20ga H&R nickle plated combo and a NEF handi.
both went to nephews and are still in use in Oregon.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
That is very interesting carbineman. I am just finishing up a Topper, in .30-30, skinny barrel, synthetic butt, truck bed liner on the splinter forearm. :)

I've mounted peep sights and a scout scope on mine. I just need to sight it in.

And you're right, them skinny 30-30s are darn hard to find, but well worth the looking.

Cat

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I have run across exactly 2 of the Topper 30-30 guns. They both now live at my house. One has the original stock set, short forearm style, and peeps off a BC. It loves cast bullets and much less than max loads. The other is on a SB-2 receiver, Monte Carlo stock, skinny forend off of a 410 topper, and a 4X32 Nikon. It shoots anything well. I had 2 of the newer style 30-30's as well, they don't live there anymore. They shot as well as the old ones, just weighed a lot more, and not as much fun.

·
Premium Member
11,226 Posts
I love my newer 30-30 barrel! Gonna have to try to find one of the older Topper barrels to see what all the excitement is about. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-Dinny said:
I love my newer 30-30 barrel! Gonna have to try to find one of the older Topper barrels to see what all the excitement is about. ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Soon, the whole worlds supply of 30-30 Topper barrels will reside right here on the forums. ;D Must be a cure for this but I don't see anything in the near future, except to get a fix with another Topper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.