Graybeard Outdoors banner

What size 3 shot groups does your Handi shoot at 100yds?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post your average group size. Lots of us have more than one Handi, if you do, please post your group sizes by caliber.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I never shoot at 100 Tim, I've no idea. Weird part is I cleaned an area up and put a bench at 100, I've just not shot it. Based o what I get a t 50, the 357 and 44 probably shoot 3 shot groups of 1.5" and the 38-55 shoots into half that.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
i would say after tweeking all of mine will shoot under a inch or they wont be mine very long

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mines a 223. Most of the time it will shoot one inch or less if I do my job. Thats with Winchester white box. It shoots 3/4 inch groups with my blue dot loads.

Ron

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Every Handi I own and have owned save but 1 have averaged under 1"...most even smaller...I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...I know a-lot of guys say their won't shoot worth a hoot...but...then you never know what they are puting into it,or what the specs on the barrel and chamber is. There has just been way to much inconsistancies on them in the past.....For some of us...we go to great lenghts on every rifle we own and shoot...to try to make it a 1 holer...others grab the cheapest ammo and blaze away and wonder why it doesn't shoot all that good...I can say I spend a heck of a-lot more time than most prepping my barrels ...before ever firing that first shot...depending on how gunked up it is or how rough the rifling feels to me when pushing a patch thru it...up to 3.5hrs on each...some...even longer...

Mac

·
Registered
903 Posts
Quick,

You can only vote one time.

I put less than 2" thinking of the aggregate that includes the .45-70 and the .357 and even they will give close to 1", just not all the time. The 30-30, Hornet and .223 will shoot 1" or less depending on the ammunition.

A wise man once told me to never sell a gun, regardless of how bad it is, it's better than a sharp stick! :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a .223 handi and cant seem to get it to shoot a good 5-shot grouping. The first three are under an inch though usually. I have got to try something different. However, I'm not quite sure what. :?

·
Registered
678 Posts
204 ruger 22" plain handi

.72" 32 gr hornady 29.5 blc2 winchester case
.8 40 gr hornady 29.3 blc2 winchester case

32 grain hornady factory not measured but all well insde the 1" square of the target

·
Registered
64 Posts
My .223 Handi seems to average a 5 shot group about 1 1/4 " with my best group being about 3/4". I usually shoot 5 shot groups and have on several occasions put 3-4 shots in a cloverleaf but then I end up ruining the group with the next 1-2 shots.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I've had over 10 Handi's or Model 058's. Most accurate? The 1st one (30/30 SB2 I bought for $150.00 out-the-door) and the 25.06 I bought used and abused for $125.00 at a pawnshop.

The 30/30 prints under an inch @ 100 yards all day long with 150 gr. Win silver box ammo. And I've never done a trigger job on that one either - it still breaks at about 5 lbs...

The 25.06 prints well under an inch at 100 but more important, with my 117 gr. handloads, Aetec 2.8x10x44 scope and (tuned) 2.75 lb trigger, it shoots about a 2.5" group at 225 yards. That's as far as we can shoot at my friends farm. I'd have to try it at 300 yards with that load if I ever get the notion to chase pronghorns out west!

- perklo :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
with 165gr Noslers and a sanded fore-end 43.8grs came out at 1.012" in my .308 Ultra. It's gonna get better once i tune that load :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
My .243 standard barrel will shoot .75 to 1 inch with reloads. My .223 will shoot dime size groups when dirty and under 1 inch clean with reloads. For some reason it didnt shoot well with the barrel free floated.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Honestly don't know. Did not answer the survey since it only addresses 100 yards. Seldom shoot that close in, never tried to shoot for grouping at that range. Got my 30-06 sighted in for 300 yards. Can maintain a 3" group at 300 yards all day. Can hit a 4" clay target at 500 yards 4 out of 5 times, pretty reguler. Shooting a Sierria 165gr Boat Tail, in front of IMR 3031. Can do the same thing with Speer's 125gr TNT if the wind is not bad.

Most of my hunting is in the mountains above tree line. Usually by the time you see something, it has already seen or smelled you and is running. If it is unaware of your presence there is nothing to hide behind taller than 4 to 6 inches. Stalking closer is usually not an option. So long shots are the order of the day, and you will only get one shot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My new .223 won't shoot less than about 3" and I'm pretty frustrated. Have put over 200 rounds through it already - lots of different kinds of ammo. I can shoot a 1.25" group with my barrel banded Marlin carbine so I don't think it's all me. I'm going to try polishing the barrel with JB Bore Paste and then the O-ring trick on the forearm. Hope that improves things. Really, the thing is so far out of whack I can't believe these little tricks to tighten up the groups are goind to make much of a difference. I mean come on - 3" at 100 yds? That STINKS[/color] Heck, my smoothbore 12ga? will do that.

Maybe a different scope is called for. I've got a cheap $60 Bushnell Sportview on it. But, I've got other guns with cheap scopes that work pretty good. Maybe I just got a lemon.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts