Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious how our fellow members did in the Handi world with white tails. In WV we are entering the 2nd and final week of buck season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Trying to tag one with Frankengun but haven’t seen a deer all November. We have a month left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I have my handi with the 50-70 barrel on it for the tomorrow morning opener. As the week goes on I will switch guns as I have a lot of strait walled handis that are legal in OH.

jedman

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Took a doe with my Henry all weather 44 mag last Sunday. Our gun season runs through December 12th. The Handi 35 Rem will get the trigger time the rest of the season.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Muzzleloading opened on Nov. 9th. Weather has not been the best and haven't seen much close enough to shoot.

Gun season opened November 23rd.
Got this little button buck Thanksgiving morning with the tried and true Handi-Rifle in 30-06.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Got an 8 pt and a doe early in the season.
Deer have been scarce this year. Lots of wind and lots of rain on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I hunted the first day with the 50-70 handi and didn't see anything. Shot this small 8 point this morning with my 1867 Austrian Werndl rifle that I rebarreled to 45-70 and added a extended eye relief scope to. The rifle is 150 + years old.

jedman

Attachments

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
one in a row so far. . . . .

SANY0794.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All some nice harvests! Ranger99 what caliber was yours killed with?

·
Registered
256 Posts
My 45/70 dropped a 7pt 82 yds going away ,almost straight away and held to the left of ham to miss meat .Ended up behind shoulder ans scooted out brisket /lower neck .No meat lost and still looking for a big doe/Ed

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 45/70 dropped a 7pt 82 yds going away ,almost straight away and held to the left of ham to miss meat .Ended up behind shoulder ans scooted out brisket /lower neck .No meat lost and still looking for a big doe/Ed
Ed, nice job. Did you bring any blood with my old 357 Maxi?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Bravo Zulu

I hunted the first day with the 50-70 handi and didn't see anything. Shot this small 8 point this morning with my 1867 Austrian Werndl rifle that I rebarreled to 45-70 and added a extended eye relief scope to. The rifle is 150 + years old.

jedman
Awesome Jedman. Nice deer.

I will have to look that rifle up just to know what it is.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have carried my Topper 44-40 on a couple of long walks but only saw some small does. Jedman- you are winning on cool points!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
All some nice harvests! Ranger99 what caliber was yours killed with?

that would be the 444 Marlin with meticulously applied custom krylon job. :tango_face_wink:

·
11,227 Posts
Stew,
How many did you pile up with all those Handis you got this year?

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stew,
How many did you pile up with all those Handis you got this year?

Thanks, Dinny
Well Dinny,
I got to go one day, black Friday. Saw some but no shooters so I passed. So no deer this yr. Next yr different story I hope. Well with new baby being here in April, that may consume alot of my time. But I will always be prepared just in case.
But I just keep gaining deer firearms just in case. Now a 20 USH.

Stew

·
11,227 Posts
I've killed 2 deer and 1 bear this year and have spent 2+ weeks in the woods. Unfortunately the Handis have not gotten the kills this year and likely won't. I just got a new crossbow and look forward to the Holiday break to take my son out and hunt from a ground blind. The crossbow is more noisy that I imagined but it's still hearing safe. I can't trust my little rug rat to wear his ear muffs correctly or talk quietly while wearing them. With any luck we'll throw one or two more in the truck together.

Thanks, Dinny

1 - 20 of 28 Posts