Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ought to be fun! Curious how your came up with your userid/handle?
Mine is stewmagoo. Derived from a friend of mines dad. Of course Stew is my first name and he was in the "chrome cans" that day and he called me that, and it has stuck in my circles for 20 plus years.

·
Administrator
26,133 Posts
I'm an old man with a gray beard. Since I started this site every name in the world was available to me and that's the one I chose cuz folks were calling me that already. Of course way back 24 years ago when I started this site I wasn't as old as I am now but even then the beard was already gray not the original red it started out as. Before I was called graybeard I was called redbeard.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Being a journeyman carpenter for many years i have worked around many apprentices. About 20 years ago i was on a job making special cuts with a circular saw and a young man, after I finished a cut said "wow senior sawyer can do it".
It became a handle on that job so when I joined GBO I chose that as my handle only to shorten to sr sawyer.

Ken

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had a sweet 76 Toyota Land Cruiser...Put these plates on it...

So when I joined Colt Forum years ago, I went with 1BadColt. Then I joined the Smith & Wesson Forum and went with 1BadSmith, so this weekend when I found this place and heard it was the place to go for T/C information, I went with 1BadContender. That's it!

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
Here is a "predictable" handle...I purchased my own "Piece of Paradise". A mixed riverine savannah with hammocks of saw palmetto, white and red oaks, slash pine, sable palms, wax myrtle, wild Cattley Guava (Psidium cattleianum), wild grape, persimmon, deer, hogs, turkey, and a lot more hogs. It is a piece of original Florida Real Estate, which has been my food plotting for wild life, hunting, shooting, "cherry picking" (guava), and outdoor "sanity" for more than 30 years. The deer hate me when I eat "their" guava. This was post 10,999...now the wait for that roll over.

·
Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Almost 20 years ago I was teasing one of my teachers about turning 50 and being over the "hill". She said that she wasn't "over the Hill"; but, that she was an "Ex 49er". It seemed appropriate, so I borrowed it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Almost 20 years ago I was teasing one of my teachers about turning 50 and being over the "hill". She said that she wasn't "over the Hill"; but, that she was an "Ex 49er". It seemed appropriate, so I borrowed it.
and here all this time... i thought you were a former Alaskan.

Reactions: Ex 49er

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have a last name that is difficult for some to say, so they just took to calling me SGT O., all good until another guy joined our unit with the same nick, so since I was taller, and in charge, I was Big O. We started playing Call of Duty at lunch and had to come up with a handle, so I thought of Big O, but instead I chose O-Mega,, which became just Omega on the boards that still have it available.

Reactions: stewmagoo

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm not that imaginative, so I just use my name for email addresses and forum posts. In places where I was the first Brian, I'm brian1. In others I use brianNH cuz, well, I'm in NH. I can't imagine any nickname that would be pertinent to my wide range of interests. I've never been big on handles or nicknames. I think the only nickname I've ever had was in the Marine Corps, in one unit they called me "Norman", cuz they said I looked like Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I started up a graphic design business. My wife and I were thinking of naming it "Design Company" but shortened it to "DesignCo". Then figgured what the heck, make it "Dezynco" and it stuck. I made signs, tshirts, and personalized gifts. I've been using the same email address and handle for over 20 years.

·
Super Moderator
51,195 Posts
I was a member of the Durango Owner's Club (Dodge Durango) 20 some yrs ago, lots of performance mod talk, another member's username was QuickD, we'd made some of the same modifications, I don't remember what specifically we were discussing, but I made the comment that it made me a QuickD too and the name stuck, been using it since on the net. Names usually happen due to some kind of incident or event, my mountain man name is Bartooth which I come by after a chainsaw accident while cutting firewood before a mountain man rendezvous weekend about 30 yrs ago.

Tim

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Handle "Fyrstyk" came to me when on a muzzle loading trail walk target shoot. It was mid fall, probably late October. I took my shot at a gong target and was starting to walk off the shooting position when smoke was observed in the leaves about 20' in front of the firing position. The patch from my flintlock muzzleloader was smoldering enough to start a small leaf fire. Called a cease fire and proceeded to stomp out the fire. The other shooters started calling me Fyrstyk, and the handle kinda stuck. Been using it ever since.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Picked up my first 45/70, a Handi, and found this site shortly after. Grabbed a box of Remington 405's and my first group was barely over an inch, it had my attention. Picked up some RL7 and Remington 300 gr jhp bullets after studying loading books. A max level 2 load, 50.0 gr, I think Alliant lowered it since, would touch 3 shots when I did my part, I was hooked. My brother and brother in law also have Handi 45/70's and theirs love the same load.

Reactions: stewmagoo

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have been shooting recurves and longbows sence the early 1960s. I left the US Army in 1982 and had saved up enough money to buy a custom recurve bow. Bob Thompson built some of the fastest recurves so I went to Ridley, WV. and bought a beautiful curly maple bow he had just finished.
All that was written on it was “ZIPPER 55#” At the time it would shoot over 225 FPS. I took a lot of deer with that bow and loved shooting it.so that’s
the name I took.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts