Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
After Woodbridge Ferris that started the technical school in Michigan 100+ years ago, pretty amazing guy. I just always liked the name Woodbridge, it's kind of old timey... love for a 30-30 speaks for itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
Years ago It seemed like every name I liked was taken. So I decided to use this one, knowing it would be available on all the site I post on. It’s my old main frame ID and certainly easy for me to remember.

DST = Distribution
EG = Engineering
JAS = My initials

I worked for a utility company on the distribution side, in the engineering group. Someone having the same ID as mine are pretty slim.

Reactions: stewmagoo

·
Registered
432 Posts
When my dad got out of the Army he decided to grow long hair and a long beard. He went to work, in the WV coal mines...his first day on the job he was taught that his looks weren’t acceptable in an Appalachian coal mine...he was given the nickname “mop head” and a good roughing up. Needless to say when he went to work the next day he was sporting a nice crew cut and fresh shave. Most of the other guys still wanted to give the hippie a hard time; the most senior miner in the hole was a mountain of a man, up in years but strong as an ox and afraid of neither man nor beast. This fine old guy took a liking to my dad and declared that if “mop head” was a hippie - he was too; so he declared that he wouldn’t be called “Hoss” any longer, his hippie name was “Hoss Cat” and it was, until the day that he died. No one gave my clean cut dad anything, in the way, of a hard time again.

Most folks that know me call me Big Hoss or Hoss (6’3” & 225lbs). Since those names usually get gobbled up fast, I use Hosscat as a tribute to a lifelong family friend and hero.

·
Registered
704 Posts
just the same one i use on any group. dad actually started calling me that in the 90s, he was sitting on the landing and said trees were going down like a buncher was in there, he called me treeslayer. i aint 20 sumthin any more, a whole lot slower, but the nickname sticks in some circles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used to have a bunch of venomous reptiles. The big rattlesnakes always got called buzz tails. When folks wanted to come by and see the snakes they’d say “Let’s go to Buzztail’s” and it’s just stuck with me.

·
Registered
758 Posts
We have a cabin east of Cedarville off M134 but live in mid Michigan, below the bridge (Mackinac Bridge). A college roommate from the upper peninsula ( a yooper) said that I was a troll because I lived below the bridge. A greybeard knowledgeable in yooper lore said having a camp in the UP got me out of troll status, but I never troubled to figure out how to change the moniker.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
I was a newbie to H&R/NEF. My son had just gotten his first deer. A SpikeHorn. My first deer was a SpikeHorn. So it seemed right.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
This ought to be fun! Curious how your came up with your userid/handle?
Mine is stewmagoo. Derived from a friend of mines dad. Of course Stew is my first name and he was in the "chrome cans" that day and he called me that, and it has stuck in my circles for 20 plus years.
Cat Whisperer - given to me by a neighbor (of American Indian descent). They had an only-inside cat that got out in the rain. I found it under the garage. The next time I was over at their house the cat came right up to me - which it NEVER did with other people. SO, it is my INDIAN name.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I've worked on and around a few reservations and they have some good names. Worked with a Smoking Gun and a Last Star and knew a lady named Bucks Come Running. Couldn't top those if I tried.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Mine was from two dogs I had named yukondog one a golden retriever and another German Shepperd.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine is just first initial and name, didn't think about it years ago when I first started using the internet.
Would have come up with something else if I had put a little more thought into it.

·
Super Moderator
11,072 Posts
A "handle" is personal, like lloyd's real name. It becomes how we refer to one another. It sheds a modicum of light on your personality and grants those who know you the least a nickname to call you of your own choosing.

A handle though, no matter how well contrived, is not quite as insightful as the extent of our postings, which are each in their own way a tiny piece of our legacy here. We get to know one another pretty well over the years of leaving these messages.

I am thinking hard about adding "...'s Legacy" to my handle...then I will be "Land Owner's Legacy" or "LOL" for short!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally from Oklahoma, got out of the Navy Dec 31 1970 and back to OKC. I left there in 1979 for N. Louisiana due to plant closing, left there in 89 for Arkansas due to plant closing, left Ark for much better job offer in Lawton, OK April of 90(turned into hot payroll checks)., left Lawton for job in northern Indiana in 1990 (it was Indiana or move in with the in-laws), back to arkansas in 95 (much closer to home, back to central Indiana in 96...Lost Oki just seem to be the right handle. 2007 plant downsized from 300 to 27 and I ended up in North Carolina, got a promotion and job transfer to Texas, Company downsized and it was back to Arkansas. Retired in NW Arkansas but who knows what the future holds. If you think this is hard to follow, you should have been there.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My screen name is from my business name in Alaska, Flying Moose Woodworks.
When I got my first computer they told me to shorten the name, Flynmoose it is.
FM

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been a fanatical duck hunter since the age of 12. I'm 50 now. When I got my 1st email account way back in the early 90's I was trying to come up with a good email address and my ex mother-in-law who knew I loved duck hunting said you should call yourself "duckboy". I did, and then added on a-5, which you guessed, is my favorite shotgun of all time to hunt with. Can't say much good about my ex wife, but my ex mother-in-law was an absolute sweetheart. My ex wife was one apple that fell far from the tree.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Went to Virginia Tech. When I came home from college to visit my parents, my Mom would always say, “The Brat’s Home!” Never really put much thought into a screenname back in the beginning, just used VTBrat and it stuck. Great thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worked in the meltshop of a steel mill for many years as an electrician. As time went by my specialty was all things pertaining to the use of the 24"X110" DC electrodes used in the electric arc furnace which reduced 20 scrape cars to a puddle of molten metal in about 40 minutes. In 1995 we had to come up with a moniker for the company computer system.
Naturally my friend the electrode and my year of birth kinda made sense.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I use to be on a company golf league and one of the guys stated calling me jedman and it isn’t a name anyone else calls me but when I registered my GBO account it just came to me ?

jedman

21 - 40 of 63 Posts