Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Legion post is in the process of forming a chapter of the "Legion Riders", which is an American Legion sponsored MC club. Membership requires that one own & ride a motorcycle. I do not own/ride a motorcycle but am chaplain for the local post. The riders asked me if I would be an "honorary" member and act as chaplain for them, which would of course require another meeting each month..one in which I would have little interest. I don't wish to turn my back on them however, since they are fellow veterans, legionaires and good guys.
THey brought up a thing called "blessing of the bikes"..and I had to tell them flat out..I don't try to bless bikes ..or any other mechanical device, however I would pray for the safety and well being of the riders. They seemed pleased with that..so what would you do?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Gosh ig,

My advice is that if your hearts not in it - Stay out of it.

As Gene says "opportunity to do some outreach, looks like you have it."

So pray about it - If God wants you to do some "outreach", He'll get your heart into it!

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
ironglow said:
. . . they brought up a thing called "blessing of the bikes"..and I had to tell them flat out..I don't try to bless bikes ..or any other mechanical device, however I would pray for the safety and well being of the riders. They seemed pleased with that..so what would you do?

that should be sufficient. i don't blame you about "blessing" any object.

if your plate is already full don't feel obligated to take on any more than you can handle

·
Registered
661 Posts
"Bike Blessings" are common for Christian MCs and Christian riders. I agree with going on Gods leading. If not Blessing the bike with Gods speed and mechanical soundness, Bless the rider with Gods speed and saftey, and their Ministry, whatever it would be, being used as a 'Biker' that he/she would let their light shine Bright in dark places as a child of God.

Just a thought... it seems to me if James and John were around today they would be Bikers. Jesus gave those brothers the title "Boanerges", meaning 'Sons of thunder' because of their misplaced zeal. They were ready to raise a little more than dust in the name of God. lol

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I've been asked to bless vehicles, weapons, canteens of water, bibles, crosses ... I always say how bout I bless the wearer/bearer/driver instead?

But never feel bad for saying no if you don't feel called to it. Sometimes our presence is someone else's excuse to not follow through on Gods call, and our absence takes away their excuse.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Be true to your beliefs. There are all sorts of pastors doing bike blessings. How about a biker baptism? Most could use a good bath.

I personally don't bless bikes. I usually curse them. Too damn loud.

What's the difference between a Hoover and a Harley?

Hoover's have their dirt bag mounted below the handlebar.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys..I will pray for the safety and well being of the riders, whether as their chaplain or as my duties as Legion chaplain.
Lt Dave..you're rather rough..although the quip was funny. I want to point out though, that these riders sren't what many picture as the unsavory bikers...they are either American Legion members or members of the Sons of the American Legion...much like the wholesome, family type clubs.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
They probably got it from this:

[sup]38 [/sup]saying, `blessed [is] he who is coming, a king in the name of the Lord; peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.'
[sup]39 [/sup]And certain of the Pharisees from the multitude said unto him, `Teacher, rebuke thy disciples;'
[sup]40 [/sup]and he answering said to them, `I say to you, that, if these shall be silent, the stones will cry out!'[/color]​

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
IG, I read this yesterday and did not want to shoot from the hip on something as important as that kind of advice.

Blessing the bikers is good...............bikes not so much.

Prayer is the answer, I think. out reach is good but don't reach out too far. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
..At last night's Legion meeting, I told the riders I would serve their chaplain needs for a reasonable time, until they get a member who is willing to take the job. I really am not qualified to join their organization, since membership requires a motorcycle license and their intention to buy a bike if they do not presently own one. That leaves me out.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
It is an honor (don't let this go to your head though) that those of your little community recognize you as a faithful Christian.
Hope you and yours are good---I remember our visit with great fondness.
Blessings

1 - 18 of 18 Posts