Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
drilling ?????

First of all why....... I just use a deburing tool that cleans up the inside of the hole. The outside was stamped to a specificsize size and should not need to be debured. LOL

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why not?

actually, indoor, reduced, target and many specialty loads require no powder and an enlarged flash hole, R

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Boneguru,
If you don't have the chuck that holds the case by the rim you can make a jig by cuttin two pieces of hardwood (1x2) to the same length, clamp them together and drill a hole between them that is just under the diameter of your case at the rim end, then while you have a case in the hole (that is half in each block) align what will be the bottom and drill 1/4 inch holes on either sid of the case for 1/4 inch bolts and nuts.

To use it just put the case in the jig, tighten the bolts, put the jig in the drill press and drill the flash hole to the proper diameter.

PaulS

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
flash holes

Another way. if you have access, is to use a lathe. Chuck the case, and mount the drill in the tailstock.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Flash hole enlargement

For wax bullets I use CCI Lawman aluminum cases and drill away the Berdan flash holes. That way I don't mix them up with good brass.

Loader 3009

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could hold the case with a Lee case trimmer lockstud or the Multiuse chuck system, and drill from the mouth of the case, if using a drill press this would be easy.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I sometimes drill out primer pockets to use shotgun primers to fire air rifle pellets. The decapped pocket will center the drill well enough for this job. Clamp it in a vise and run her on through.

There are better ways to do it. Lathe or compound vise in a drill press. Even a simple drill press vise that you locate with the first case under the drill and then clamp, but they ain't really necessary.

And if he is talking about flash hole uniforming like the bench rest boys do, there are special tools for that.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
have new vise inserts

found a way that works for me, I purchased two hard rubber vise plates and cut a small v notch in both plates. now just chuck brass in v notch tighten and drill. Raymond

·
Registered
39 Posts
Drilling vents

I chuck a drill into a drill press, run fairly fast, and feed the case to the drill in bare fingers. This allows the case to float and center on the drill and produce a more uniform hole.
Someone will surely chime in with Wolfe's finding on drill size; I forget.
To prevent mixing cases, I mark my modified .45-70 cases by rolling them under a mill ******* file to knurl the rims.
Cheers from Grayest California,
Ross

1 - 13 of 13 Posts