Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gerber knife with a hook that skins a whitetail with ease if I can get the knife started. Once it gets going it goes from tail to neck with no problems. Think I need to sharpen it. Hate to use a round file and my round kitchen steel is to fat. The gut hook is beveled from both sides.

I am referring to opening the hide, not the belly meat. I hang my deer but the feet before gutting and open the hide on the under side and down the back side. That way I only have to skin one side at a time and do not have to keep circling the deer while fighting the hide.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i don't use guthooks, but i would think you'd
be able to find one of those ceramic rods
of the correct size to fit your g.h. and
maintain it. i've seen 'em from just over
toothpick sized, to a little over an inch,
so finding the right one shouldn't be too hard.
you could snap off a short length to fit
your pocket and carry it with your g.h.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
A fordom grinder with cone shaped stone works ok but I can never get them as sharp as a new blade. I use it on lineolium
knife, never on a gut hook as I don't own a knife with a gut hook. casull is right, go slow and don't heat it up.
Hope this helps
HM

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
charles said:
. . . with a hook that skins a whitetail with ease if I can get the knife started. . . .
the way i understand it, you're supposed to start a hole with a regular
pointy knife blade, then switch over to the g.h.

·
Registered
414 Posts
No offense, but you could give me a 100 used scalpels and I would dispose of them all. No telling what pathogens may still be on them to contaminate what you are cutting. Even cleaning with soap and water would not clean them enough. That is why non-disposable scalpels require cleaning in an enclave for sterilization. :)

Unless you mean, unused disposables, then yes, I would use them.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Ranger99 said:
charles said:
. . . with a hook that skins a whitetail with ease if I can get the knife started. . . .
the way i understand it, you're supposed to start a hole with a regular
pointy knife blade, then switch over to the g.h.
Thats how I do it... ;D ;) ;)

As for sharpening, diamond tapered "stick" sharpeners made by a number of makers works for me...

CW

·
Registered
414 Posts
There are a lot of industrial suppliers that have contoured stones, such as triangular and half moon. I would think there are sizes available to fit whatever size gut hook size you may have. I believe MSC Industrial carries these types of stones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.