Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent question in another thread, a man from Buffalo (Ebonitekid767) said he was issued his permit for target & hunting only. I didn't realize each county could cut their own restrictive rules, such a Erie has apparently done. I live in Cattaraugus county..used to live in Wyoming county...no such restrictions in either, except for recent years, when we suddenly could no longer open carry. Prior to that time, open carry was required..don't know why they changed.
As I said in that thread, I assume the counties with larger cities must take their own liberties with the law, primarily because that seems to be where most of the liberals dwell. Here's the thread:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hand-l...fense-ammunition/msg1099966269/#msg1099966269

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Can't help with Nu Yawk but here in God's country its uniform statewide. If you pay the money and pass the background you get a permit. Carry anywhere but gov. Buildings and private property marked with appropriate signage. Open or concealed.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I know that NYC has various types of pistol permits. They are classified as:

Target (to and from range in locked box).

Concealed (self explanatory, usually you have to have some clout, or carry a lot of cash for business reasons to get this type, job requires you to carry a firearm (ex; armored car guard) or your a retired LEO). Exceptions usually are made for anti-guns like Sen. Charles Schumer who has a carry permit.

Premise (to be kept on your premises, usually your place of business).

BTW in NYC, you even have to have a rifle/shotgun permit to own a longarm, which includes BP rifles.

Anyway these were the types issued over 8 years ago, before I retired. Where I live, they only issue one type of handgun permit.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
IG: the issuing authority in each county in nys, which is the county Judge, can apply the concept of 'Home Rule' to issuing pistol permits. 'Home Rule' literally allows each county to decide if it wishes to comply with some state mandates or laws. This is why 54 of the 57 upstate counties in nys do not, have not and (thankfully) will not comply with kwomo's safe act. This allows the county Judge some discretion in issuing pistol permits.

Some counties have a three tier permit system which allows for (1) a 'Premises Permit' which means you can only have the pistol on your premises (home or business for whichit is issued), you are not allowed to carry the pistol. Permits are also issued for Hunting and Target, which means they are not supposed to be carried concealed and must be taken to a range or hunting area unloaded and in some sort of a container (lock box or something else) and only when at the range or hunting area may they then be loaded and carried (openly). (3) Unrestricted Carry Concealed Permit means just that - that you 'must' carry your sidearm concealed for whatever reason.

A number of counties (County Judges) now require those who apply for a Unrestricted Carry Concealed Permit to first have been issued a 'Hunting and Target' permit or a premises permit for at least one year, pass a live fire training course and interview personally with the County Judge.

Nothing in state law differentiates 'Hunting and Target' or 'Concealed Carry' in the language regarding the issuance of pistol permits, this is something that is entirely at the discretion of the issuing Judge using 'Home Rule' authority and this is what the Ebonitekid has experienced. Often the same in many counties.

I had the chance to speak with one of my County's Judges regarding this issue and his position was that 'if I have issued you a Hunting and Target pistol permit that you have held for at least one year then I am fairly confident you will continue to be a law abiding pistol permit holder who intends to comply with issuing restrictions and guidelines and in that light, you may apply for a Unrestricted Concealed Carry Permit and following a competence level determining live fire training course and personal interview I can issue you a Unrestricted Concealed Carry permit. If however the personal interview indicates some possible issues that may call that decision into question I will not issue a Unrestricted permit'.

At least in my County, fortunately, at this time, you do not have to kick over your first born to government service just to get a pistol permit but if you toss in the Common Core concept with the safe act stupidity that is exactly what we are liable to see in the future... imo.......

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Schenectady County seems relatively easy. Over 45 years ago I was told by police to state reason for request should only be "For protection of life & property". After a month or so I got my permit with no restriction. I theorize that when applicants now apply for a permit and state their reason for applying is "Hunting" or "Target practice" that's what they get; A restricted permit for only those purposes. I wonder what happens NOW when the stated reason would be "Protection of life& property. I would guess they would need to show cause for concern. After a year with restricted permit I think it would be fairly easy to upgrade to "Unrestricted" (Xcept for NYC). And I agree that each county judge acts differently. Saratoga county is now offering a class for restricted permit holders to upgrade to unrestricted after 1 year.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears that counties with cities in them are most likely to make folks jump through hoops, in order to get approved for CC. My county doesn't have any major city..but it does have a three Indian reservations.. We apparently have nothing near what the Ebonite Kid is confronted with. In fact, our county clerk Marg, is so helpful to us that she often is there at gun shows, along with her computer, saving the handgun buyer a n extra trip to the county seat.
BTW: Our county district attorney lives about 3 miles from my house..she has her "Repeal the Safe act" sign prominently displayed beside her driveway.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I wish it was that easy for me, they have made purchasing a handgun almost pointless because the pistol clerk is only open until 4 or 430 so getting there
Means taking time off of work, finding parking downtown in the heart of buffalo and usually waiting 20-30 mins before seeing someone who is usually irritated. And then to top it off. I bought a contender and I was told by the clerk I had to register each caliber barrel I purchased for it. That is why I now only own 1 handgun and really need to find one I can't live without before buying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Erie county sure throws impediments your way, don't they. I obtained my permit in Wyoming county back about 1974. I now live in Cattaraugus county, and neither of them are unduly harsh in their treatment of their concealed carry residents.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
ironglow said:
It appears that counties with cities in them are most likely to make folks jump through hoops, in order to get approved for CC. My county doesn't have any major city..but it does have a three Indian reservations.. We apparently have nothing near what the Ebonite Kid is confronted with. In fact, our county clerk Marg, is so helpful to us that she often is there at gun shows, along with her computer, saving the handgun buyer a n extra trip to the county seat.
BTW: Our county district attorney lives about 3 miles from my house..she has her "Repeal the Safe act" sign prominently displayed beside her driveway.
. In St Lawrence, no one gets unrestricted anymore. Everyone gets sports restrictions. We have one tiny bvasrely makes it to a city. All the discretion is on the issuing judge.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow Bubbs;
What put a bug up their butts in St Lawrence county..you are fairly remote there? Do you suppose it is because of the state college at Potsdam? ...Perhaps those college angel cake students & profs
may be "offended" if normal permits were issued..

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
No just a power hungry judge. The county legislature passed a law saying the judge had to show cause to restrict any permits. He continued thumbing his nose at the law. We tried very hard to get a real conservative candidate to run against him. No one would as they were afraid to face the repercussions of his wrath in court if they lost. It is tough to fight that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts