Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 45 colt barrel on its way, and I'd like to know how heavy I can go with the loads and still be in the safe range. I will eventually have it reamed to .454 casull, but for now I'd like to work up some heavy loads in the 45 barrel. Any ideas? Any loads that work well in your barrels?

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
If you're referring to the 45Colt carbine barrel, I've used max Hodgdon Lil'gun Ruger/FA loads in mine, 250gr jacketed bullets to well over 1900fps, but it's getting reamed to 460S&W as soon as 4D has a reamer for rent. I wouldn't be afraid to use Linebaugh's Colt loads in it either, was gonna before I decided to rechamber.

Tim

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,118881.msg1098392036.html#msg1098392036

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,124487.msg1098436387.html#msg1098436387

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the .45 LC carbine.

Thank you very much for the links and info!

Reading your other posts, I was considering taking it all the way to .460, but then I'd just have to go out and buy another revolver (already have the SRH in .454).

·
Super Moderator
51,155 Posts
;D Nothing wrong with another gun, there's always room for one more!! :D

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quickdtoo said:
;D Nothing wrong with another gun, there's always room for one more!! :D

Tim
Unless I value staying married! After several years of working I decided to go back to school, so for the next three years I'm a kept man. If the wife wants my gun closet space for shoes and books and cameras, so be it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
When hot rodding the .45lc it is always prudent to mention that you should carefully inspect any brass that is at all suspect, for those old black powder "balloon head" cases.
You hardly ever see them anymore, but if your using range brass or once fireds there is always a chance you might get one in the mix and those Casull loads in those old cases can cause some spectacular results!
I handled a New model Ruger black hawk 6" bbl single action once that a young man (who was probably from the shallow end of the gene pool) decided to just take his new Lee loader, and fill a case level full with I think it was 2400 and seat a cast bullet over it to "see what would happen", the results were the top 3 chambers of the cylinder were gone forever, along with the cylinder pin and the ejector rod housing and all., the top strap had been stretched up in an arc causing the barrel to point about 45 degrees downward from center.
Friends, alcohol and reloading do NOT mix. Guy had some burns and cuts on his hands and a big cut on his nose where a whicker of something caught him.
We went through his brass later and found a half dozen old moldy green ballon head cases.
JMH2¢

1 - 7 of 7 Posts