Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of LaCrosse Alpha Burleys w/1000 gr thinsulate. I have had them just over 2 years and they are loaded with itty bitty sliver cracks just above the ankle area. I have aqua sealed them untold times and yet I still find more cracks. Quite sure they are forming from all the walking I have done in them. I have put some serious mileage on them - deer, turkey, wild boar, Alaska twice, Canada once. I bet I have worn these boots a total of 15-20 weeks and that is from morning untill night.

Not really badmouthing the boots, as they are afterall....hunting boots, and very comfortable to wear I may add. But just curious as to what kind of mileage others are getting out of whatever brand ya use.

If you only wear them for a 1 week deer season per year, I don't really need to hear about it ......(grin)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I thought you were talking about real rubber boots, I still use a pair of "Xtratuff" boots that I got for work in AK, 13 years ago. No leaks and still comfortable.

·
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xtratuffs

That was one I was specificaly gonna ask about, but could not recall the name while posting. I have heard guys on the Alaskan boards speak highly of them. I'll have to check into them.

Are they all day comfortable?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've bought XtraTuffs for over 25 years and used them for commercial fishing in Alaska. I live in a tidal zone in Prince William Sound with a lot of sharp shale rock exposed on the beach. My XtraTuffs last about 3 years when used almost daily. I buy them in a size just a wee bit loose to allow for your feet to swell when wearing them all day. Buy them in the spring and after summers use, they stretch out just a bit. Then I put either a felt or gel insole in them for winter use and they are snug around my feet again. This snugness lasts until the boots are completely worn out. If a small hole or stress cracks appear, I use Shoe Goo for minor repairs until a new pair can be bought. I even buy the slipper style for around the house and light duty on beach. They are extremely anti skid, and the arches hold up well. I demand my entire crew must have them for work. No ExtraTuffs, no job. No injuries due slipping either. They are a bit expensive compared to other rubber boots, but well worth the money for durability, safety and comfort.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
The lacrosse Alphas are decent boots, but really are more for wearing to your duck blind or ice fishing. I have a pair of xtras for swamp walking and they hold up well. I had a pair of Red balls that wore like iron as well

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
what deltecs said X 2. In coastal Alaska Xtratuffs are the main foot gear for many year round. I don't like the insulated or steel toe - too heavy. I buy mine to take a thick firm wool insole. When I lived in Dutch Harbor and other Alaska Peninsula communities I wore them nearly every day year 'round and often up to 16-20 hours at a time. I dried them at night and traded out dry insoles. I get 2- 3 years out of a pair - or more now that I'm not working. They are my main hunting boot if I don't need to wear hip boots - great for our boggy tundra. Live in Bristol Bay area now and its a bit too cold for them in the winter but they are ready on the porch from May to November.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Dand said:
what deltecs said X 2. In coastal Alaska Xtratuffs are the main foot gear for many year round. I don't like the insulated or steel toe - too heavy. I buy mine to take a thick firm wool insole. When I lived in Dutch Harbor and other Alaska Peninsula communities I wore them nearly every day year 'round and often up to 16-20 hours at a time. I dried them at night and traded out dry insoles. I get 2- 3 years out of a pair - or more now that I'm not working. They are my main hunting boot if I don't need to wear hip boots - great for our boggy tundra. Live in Bristol Bay area now and its a bit too cold for them in the winter but they are ready on the porch from May to November.
I agree this comes with experience in wearing rubber boots. I won't buy anything else for extreme wet wear. I do wear GoreTex or DryPlus hunting boots for colder weather hunting like you in Bristol Bay. If it isn't one of those 3 type footwear, I do not buy or wear them. Even my house shoes are slip-ons GoreTex Thinsullate so I can wear them outside for a short time. I like having dry feet as they stay much warmer and comfortable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Lacrosse boots made today are a very poor product.I find that the since they started making them in China that they develop stress cracks just above the insulated part of the boot.I get about 2 years out of them before this happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts