Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how about it hunters and shooters? How many calibers does it take to fulfill your hunting and shooting needs? One, five, ten, thirty???

I currently have four calibers and one shotgun guage that I say 'almost' covers everything. I'd like to have one more BIG BORE to cover the top end. Then I'd like to have one more 'middlin' round to cover the mediocre stuff.

Here's my breakdown:
.22s/l/lr
.25-06
.44special/magnum
12 ga
.50 roundball! :)

I'd like to add a .444 and a .25 (something) to the list! Then I'd have everything I ever needed covered...Yeah, right!!! :roll:

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
How many calibers does it take to fulfill y

I have rifles in 16 different cartridges and 8 calibres. I have one handgun that I inherited and have never shot. I have shotguns in 3 different gauges and 1 bore size.

Big brother may be on line, so I won't get any more specific.

·
Registered
684 Posts

I second KN's view. One of each would be just dandy. :grin:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts

9 different calibers, Two guages
A Canadian gun owner must be carefull!

·
Registered
205 Posts

Needs? Probably only a .22LR, a .22 centerfire of some kind, my 6.5X55 for mid-sized stuff, and something like a .338 WM for the big stuff. Plus a .22LR pistol, a .357 revolver, a big revolver (.44, .454, etc.) and an auto of some kind - I like my P-14 .45. Oh yeah, a muzzleloader.

Now, what about wants? That's easy - as many as I can get my grubby little paws on without getting divorced!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts

I really don't beleive that this question can be answered. I am certainly not in possession of all the rifles, shotguns and handguns that I require to meet my needs. If I ever arrive at that point I will be sure to give you the definitive answer. Mart

·
Registered
399 Posts

That's easy... One, the .30-06! It has such a wide range of accptable bullets, powders and loads that it pretty much is a "one gun fits all" cal... Awww, I have more than I care to count, but that Remington 700 BDL 30-06 is almost ALWAYS the one I reach for even when I take others along. Except for deer here in Indiana, where you can't use centerfire in which case I use my 50 Cal. muzzleloaders...

·
Registered
563 Posts

Okay, I'll play...

One rifle would do it for me, I guess. My 338 Win Mag really does cover all the hunting I do (besides birds) rather well. It's not the only one I use and I hope I'm never limited to just it. It will handle deer, sheep, goats, caribou, moose, black bear, grizzly and coastal brownies just fine though.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts

:-D As much as I hate to agree with anyone from Indiana, I'm gonna have to go along with Iornknees on this one, the 30-06 is hard to beat for a one gun arsonal, if you feel the absolute need for two, add a 12 ga.

Now if ya mean how many do I think I need, wal' then, how many are there? :-D

·
Registered
213 Posts

Wants and needs are different of course, but I would say 22RF, 30-06, and 12GA.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
how many?

i think up here every prairie farmer who owns a gun has the same thing. a surplus .303, a Cooey .22 (single or repeater) and a 12 ga scattergun.

·
Registered
233 Posts

I could get by with a 22 rifle, 22 pistol, 44 mag, 300 mag and 12 gauge.

But why :p

I keep telling my girlfriend that I need a differnet gun for different animals. 25/06 pronghorn, 30/06 whitetail, 300 mag mule deer, etc. Let see I need an elk gun, moose gun, etc. :grin: :grin:

Hcliff

·
Registered
286 Posts

:grin: I'm working on this very task. Here is where I stand:

(1) Sako Hunter Dlx in .300 Wby Mag.......long range/ large game
(1) Sako 75 S/Syn 7 STW ........long range/ med game
(1) Sako 591 Hunter .308 ... Eastern Whitetail/Black Bear
(1) Tikka S/Syn .243 ........Coyotes, varmits

(1) Thompson Encore S/S .50 muzzleloader
(1) Uberti .20 ga o/u shotgun
(1) Win mod. 12 pump 12 ga

:lol: I guess I need a good .22?

·
Registered
213 Posts

Tom,
It looks to me like you still have a inadequate list. You don't have anything listed for close/ medium or close/ large game, Central, or Western Whitetail, let alone Northern. And everybody knows you can't be using the same gun on regular varmits, that you do on coyotes. Sounds like you NEED more guns. Keep working at it! :p

Hud

·
Registered
286 Posts

Hud said:
Tom,
It looks to me like you still have a inadequate list. You don't have anything listed for close/ medium or close/ large game, Central, or Western Whitetail, let alone Northern. And everybody knows you can't be using the same gun on regular varmits, that you do on coyotes. Sounds like you NEED more guns. Keep working at it! :p

Hud
H~ll Hud, I've never shot a deer or bear over 60 yds nor ever hunted out of the Midwest yet and may never use any of them but my old .308. It sure is nice to live in the good old USA where you kin have em just cause you like to shoot em.
Nice Horse. I used to have a big ol Walker :grin:

·
Registered
213 Posts

>H~ll Hud, I've never shot a deer or bear over 60 yds nor ever hunted >out of the Midwest yet and may never use any of them but my old .308.

Yea, I know what ya mean. I do like to try different guns on a hunt (480 Ruger this year), but if the tag is still open on the last day, I always fall back to my Rem '06.

You can't tell from the fuzzy picture, but that's my "Good For Everything" mule. "Sota".

Hud

1 - 20 of 33 Posts