Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading many of these posts, I have come to the conclusion that in some states you can harvest multiple deer. In Idaho you can only harvest one (two if you want to buy an extra tag at out of state prices). So the question is "What state AND how many?". or can you do one for each type of weapon?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
How many deer can you harvest in your state

In North Dakota this year you could possibly take up to 6 deer if you also bowhunt and draw a muzzleloader tag. At least 1/2 of those would be doe tags. new records for tags issued and harvest have been set each of the last several years. Bow tags are OTC all others are by drawing.

·
Registered
661 Posts

Oklahoma-2 in ML season,1buck 1 doe.2 in gun,1B 1D.1 late season antlerless.Archery I'm not sure I'm not that cruel.SGB

·
Premium Member
85 Posts

Here in Iowa we have WAY to many deer, and our tag restrictions are kinda hard to read, it all depends on what seasons you want to hunt, some seasons you can't hunt with others. (can't have early muzzleloader and any shotgun season) For the most part we are allowed to take 2 bucks (any sex tags) and 6 does (antlerless-only tags). The bucks have to be from different seasons. This year the DNR made it so we can have as many doe only tags for the special late season as we ant. (Until the quota is full)

But Iowa is a "party hunting" state, that means if there a guy in your group of hunters has a open tag, ANYONE in the group can fill it, SO if you are hunting with some guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn (like me, sorry guys had to say it) you could shot as many deer as you all have tags for.

I’m really not sure how it works for out-of-staters here in Iowa, but I THINK they can have up to 1 buck tag and 3 doe tags, not sure though.

IATRKYHNTR
(Nathan)

·
Registered
579 Posts

In Kansas we can shoot up to 8 if you count archery but only one can be antlered. You have to buy a tag for each one ranging from $10-30. Firearms season is only 12 days, though. Muzzleloader season is 14 days and archery is 2 1/2 months.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

this year in KY., in my zone, you could take 4 deer maximum(1 buck only), by any method. you get two tags with your first purchase. 1 antlered,1 antlerless. you can then buy a bonus antlerless permit to take 2 more does.
this differs from last years 1 buck limit, and unlimited does after purchasing additional tags. evidently they got the herd under control last season, and cut back on numbers to be killed this season.

·
Registered
316 Posts

In some parts of Alabama we can take 2 per day only one of which can be antlered. We also have a 70 day season, so 140 deer this season for most south-central counties. We are slightly over run, problem is, I almost hit more in my truck than I see in the woods.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Illinois - residents, as many as you want...sort of.
Archery tags are available over the counter, and you can buy as many as you want, they come in a set of one either sex and one antlerless only.
Shohtgun - one either sex tag for both season, OR IF you apply for the first drawing and then apply in a daily drawing you can get two either sex tags (never had a problem getting two tags).
Muzzleloader - one either sex tag.
Pistol - one tag - antlerless only.
Now the caveat to the whole thing is you can only take 2 antlered deer during the entire season, so if you take one with a bow and one with a shotgun, your muzzleloader tag just became an antlerless only (no matter what it says). It's all on the ILDNR website, clear as mud.
Bill

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

Just to add to what Bill said about Illinois, each tag costs you $15.

·
Registered
187 Posts

PA can be strange...

can get 1 buck with regular license or 1 doe in muzzleloader season with the same license

can get additional doe licenses at $6.00 each for each management unit, but can only apply at certain times for these licenses. Once the first "draw" is over for eah management unit, you can apply for the left-overs, but they go pretty quickly.

I don't know if there is a maximum for the "left-overs," but I can legally shoot only 1 buck max. and 2 doe max. with my regular license and 2 doe tags.

The buck tag is only good for 1 buck during archery, muzzleloader, or rifle season for 1 buck max. (and with new antler restrictions too)

·
Registered
332 Posts

S.C. On private land there is no limit per day or per year for antlered deer. Wildlife Management Areas (public land) limit 2 per day / max 5 per year. Depending on county you have set number of anterless deer days (doe days) limit 2 per day limit per year depends on county. Extra "doe" tags are $5. You do not need to use your doe tags on "doe days" they are for other days when all get a chance at is a doe.

Oh, season runs from Aug 15 through Jan 1 and Fishing/big game hunting liscence is $20 a year.

·
Registered
205 Posts

One per year, regardless of hunting tool choice. You choose your tool (bow, ML, rifle), and you get to hunt with that tool only (you can use bow or ML during the regular rifle season) for one deer only. There might be some strange depredation tags to raise that under special circumstances, but in general, you get only one chance.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Which state?

What state is your home state DesertRam? :grin:

·
Administrator
26,222 Posts

Me? Usually anywhere from a couple to a half dozen. :-D

However as Mkee mentioned the bag limits are rather liberal. Here in Bama bow season starts Oct. 15 and ends Jan. 31. Bow hunters state wide can LEGALLY shoot two deer per day so long as no more than one is a buck. Technically that's I think about 118 days or 236 deer. Gun hunting kicks off the Saturday before Thanksgiving each year and usually has 70+ days. In about 2/3 of the state all of those days are doe days and the same two deer limit applies as during bow season. For my part of the state this year I think I have 37 days of doe hunting available.

But legally if you are a bow hunter you can take over 200 deer per season in Bama. If a gun hunter only less. Reality for me seems more in line with my first comment. I'll take 2-6 per year usually.

GB

·
Registered
435 Posts

In Louisiana, it is six per year.

I do most of my hunting in Arkansas. The zone where I hunt is 3 per year with only one being a doe. Must be at least 3 points on one side to shoot.

Typically, once I get some meat, I trophy hunt only.

Smoky

·
Registered
172 Posts
number of deer

In Indiana it depends on the county but for the most part it is a one buck per year state and zero to four antlerless deer determined by county. You can also draw for state park hunts and in some metro areas kill additional deer above the one buck four doe numbers. Most of this changes yearly and you have to read the regulations carefully.

·
Registered
660 Posts

We can bag only one here in WA. You can put in for a doe permit for an aditional $5 and maybe get drawn. If you do it's either buck or doe not both. Mod firearm season is usually only 9 days plus theres early and late buck thrown into the mix and we have a 3 pt min around here. Most of the average 3pt muleys will bone out about 60+ lbs of meat.
After all the car/deer accidents around here this year I think they should raise the limit.

·
Registered
28 Posts

In Alaska, for residents, most areas with deer (South East Alaska, Prince william sound and the Kodiak Island archipelago.), it's mostly 5, up to 6. August 1 to Sept. 30, Bucks only. Oct. 1 to Dec. 31, any sex. Some areas, like the Kodiak road system allow only 1 deer and that only w/ your 1st tag. Most deer hunting areas are accessed by bush plane or boat.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Starting this year in Missouri, you can buy all the antlerless tags you want at $7 apiece for rifle or ML season, $5 for archery. You can get 2 bucks max with a bow, and only 1 with a rifle or ML. Some special hunts you have to get drawn for also allow an extra buck to be taken.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts