Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooters:

I went through more than half a dozen carry guns before I settled. I tried guns by Ruger and Walter and Springfield and Bersa etc. And I did a lot of research on each gun before I bought one.

The guns I acquired along the way that I still have are the Kel Tec P3AT (Yeah it's a 380), the Sig P238 (May be best gun in my safe, also a 380.) and the Sig 365, mine has a safety. Yeah, that's three carry guns. I make my choice by occasion and weather. My preference is vest carry in cold weather, but shorts weather leads to pocket or OWB carry.

All that to say, in my case it took a few tries to figure out what really works for me. I had a lot of fun along the way, and got pretty good at selling one gun to buy another.

What's your story?

Life is good.
Prof Young

·
Registered
635 Posts
One, well ok two. My first post 21 yo gun purchase was a browning hp, I kept it in my truck as concealed carry was frowned upon in the military. Followed that up with a glock 23, and the rest is history. Now I carry the glock or an xds in 40 as well, depending on how I feel that day, with an occasional carry of one of my larger ones OWB while I hun

·
Registered
451 Posts
I, too, went through several over many years before settling in on the Sig P365.

Walther PPS .40, Ruger LC9s, NAA Guardian in .32 NAA (380 necked down to 32), Springfield Armory
XD/S 45, Doubletap Defense .45 derringer, SCCY CPX-2 9mm, Taurus PT24/7 in .40, and I think a couple others. All had their plusses and minuses.

I also went through various holster schemes, too. I now use strictly DeSantis SoftTuck in appendix carry.

With the P365, I have what is, for me, the best balance of power, size, carryability, concealability, magazine capacity, feel, comfort. It's nearly as small as the LC9s it replaced after being carred several years, holds more rounds, has night sights, and I love how it fits in my hand. 9mm will definitely get the job done. I don't see myself doing any more switches, unless I go to a full size high capacity 9mm in open carry if the civil unrest gets worse.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I also have a P365, in fact, it's on my hip in a Sneaky Pete as I type this up! Great little carry gun, low recoil for a 9mm, but very accurate for a gun this size. Long trigger pull,(for me), but it's really easy to get used to.

I have three other carry pistols, a S&W 9mm Shield, a PPS M2, and an NAA mini 22 magnum 5 shot revolver. All four have the proper place and time for carry, and the situation along with weather conditions dictate what gets to keep me safe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Started off in 1970 carrying a 4" S&W Model 19 4" as that was all I had. A few years later got a 2" 49 Bodyguard and carried it when the 19 was a little too big. Went to a Government Model 1911 in about 1976 and then to a Commander in .38 Super in 1980...that was about the end of the road for me as 99% of the time that is what I wear.

That said, I also have:
Glock 19
Kahr P380
Kahr PM9
KelTec .32

...for specialized assignments as well as a couple of revolvers for woods carry but as said 99% of the time I have the Commander on me.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is like answering the questions to cross the bridge in monthly python, I got carry guns for all occasions lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
For light social situations I carry a Colt Mustang 380 in a pocket holster or iwb behind the hip. For nighttime or city carry it will be my Para Ordnance P10 in 45 acp. For church carry it will be my Mustang in a pocket and an RIA 1911 full size in a padded carry case that I use for a lower back pillow.

·
Administrator
26,191 Posts
I've been carrying for around 54.5 years now. In that time I've carried a whole lotta different handguns. I've carried .22s, .25s, .32s, .380s, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45acp, .38, .357 and even .44 Magnum and .45 Colt.

Mostly I don't try to conceal. Alabama is an open carry state. I know some think it's stupid to open carry, well I don't agree with that opinion and have been doing it for over 54 years now. I do at times conceal and have guns I can conceal when needed but for the most part I wear pants and a t-shirt and even in winter not much more. I guess I could wear the shirt tail out but I don't. I've always tucked it in and with it tucked about the only way to hide one is in my pocket. In the pocket limits what I can carry to guns I really don't want to bet my life on such it ever be needed.

In all those years I've never needed to pull a gun and sure hope that continues the rest of my life. I've carried the gamut from small .25 auto pistols to 10" barrel .44 magnum in all those years I've been carrying. Even today after all those years and all those guns there isn't just one carry gun for me. I can say that all of them have one thing in common. Ya pull the trigger and it goes bang. No safeties to fumble with or hammers that have to be cocked first tho I have carried such.

·
23,297 Posts
probably 20 and still looking. How else can you justify new guns
:p

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi...
One...bought a Springfield Armory 1911 about 45 years ago.
Still carry it...
Sometimes carry a Colt Combat Commander when I feel I want to carry something slightly smaller. Both are in .45ACP.
I do own pistols in 9mm and .40S&W but never carry them.

When hiking or hunting I may be carrying any one of 30 or so revolvers in any caliber from .22LR to .44Magnum.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I've gone thru about 3 guns. Sp101 2.25 .357 , Walther P99 .40 and P99C .40. I still use them all but carry either Walther most. Living in rural Alaska really influences my choices. Especially when my cameras show I have brown bears wander thru the yard now n then (I've never seen them tho!!). Also the fact Alaskans tend to dress pretty heavily. Love the 101 w its Crimson trace grips but its heavy, only 5 shot and a bit tricky to control with hot loads in 158+ gr ( I like 145 gr Win 357, or 135 Speer 38s) . The P99 doesn't seem any heavier than the 101, holds 10-12 fits me well and easier to conceal & draw than the revolver. The P99C is lighter, holds 7 or 8, I can control it easier than the 101 but not quite as well as the full size P99, and is a little more concealable. I generally carry 155- 165 gr loads especially Speer 165 gold dots in .40. Holsters: I never found an IWB for the 101 that suited me well. A basic nylon Bianchi OWB serves really well for under a coat. A one-man maker in Palmer Alaska dba Quciklock made me a Kydex IWB that works well for either P99 in the Appendix mode but a little bigger than needed for the 99c. Best of all is a hybrid Kydex/ leather IWB by Theis for my P99C - most comfortable holster I have. Theis is really nice to work with and I'd start there if I needed another holster for another gun. I've gone thru a lot more holsters than guns.
I was searching all over Anchorage for a couple weeks looking for a .45ACp that fit me when I stumbled on the P99. With the exchangeable grips, grip contour, and tritium sights, it just fit me like no other semi has ever - especially an old revolver guy. I gave up on .45 and stuck w the Walther. My hands do not like most Glocks or 1911s - I have smallish hands an I'm small framed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've carried all kinds of weird guns. Full-size 1911, old Tokarev, a 44 mag, heavy Walther PPK/s, a Bodyguard, and finally a G43x. I like the G43 because it's thin, long, can hold 15 rounds of 9mm with an S15 mag, and has an excellent trigger. I like carrying chambered with no safety, so the Glock's internal safeties are a nice touch. The basic stuff really does work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
S&W 29 4", Taurus PT99, Ruget GP100 Colt 1911 & Sig P220. The P220 is my carry gun these days but I'm very comfortable & proficient with a 1911.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I started with a Colt Officers ACP then a Lightweight 45 acp Commander from there it was a Kahr CW9 then a Kahr CW45 and finally the one I'm going to stay with, a Sig 365XL. Sometimes when I jump on the 4 wheeler and run down to the mailbox I will slip an NAA 22 magnum in my shorts or Henley pocket.
When out for a long ride on the 4 wheeler or just a walk down the woods road I usually have a Ruger 1911 in 10mm or my 6 inch 357 mag GP100 Talo Edition in a chest holster.

Steve......

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
1911 on my side and Sig compact in truck [both in 45]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Started with a Colt government model 45 acp, and carried it for 10 years. Then I found the Glock 19, and never looked back. Utterly reliable, compact, easy to shoot, and it holds lots of HPs. Along the way I picked up a smith snubbie, and used to as a pocket gun when I didn’t want to carry a bigger pistol. I’ve also got a Glock 43.

As I’ve gotten a case of old guy eye, I’ve had both of the glocks milled for red dot sights. Makes a huge difference! Highly recommen modification.

·
Registered
Handgun Hunter, Target Shooter
15 Posts
Several.
Colt 1903 32acp
Three or four 1911's
2" S&W 64
3" S&W 66
SP101 9mm
SP 101 357
Glock 27.4
Glock 23.4
My current every day carry is a Glock 38.3. I switch to my Glock 37.3 for Church Security Carry. For woods carry I have a 480 SRH Alaskan with normally 3 shotshells up front during snake season. It will bag a Copperhead from the tractor seat.

Bob R

·
Banned
21 Posts
I knew for years, as a kid, that I wanted a .45 alloy commander and I carried one for a decade.However, I came to value the "hand in pocket" start and went with a Star 380 pony. I had so much practice with SA autos that I completely reworked a Pony, in order to have a speed safety, nice sights, beavertail tang, etc, With a locked breech, you can safely get 300 ft lbs of power and real expansion of a lightened Winchester aluminum-jacketed Silvertip jhp., However, I shot a lot of animals with it and similar 9mm loads and knew it was not enough power. When Sig brought out their P938, I grabbed the first low-cost used one I could find ($400, luminous sights, both mags, ambi-safety). I got spare barrel from E-bay for $70, rechambered it for 9x21 and loaded a 45 gr bullet to 2200 fps in it. Now I get 500 ft lbs and no more recoil than a makarov, in a pistol that looks just like a wallet in my pocket.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts