Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there lots of private label products in the optics industry. Boggles my mind to think of the optic brands that keep appearing in catalogs. How many factories can we shooters support?

When I was a kid there were about as many scope companies as car companies and not a lot of advertising other than word of mouth. But then, a family only had one car and in those days and I had one rifle with a scope. I guess the total pie keeps getting bigger but the number of users grow much slower.

Where do old scopes go to die?

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
Not nearly as many as you might think at first blush. In the US we have Leupold and Burris. Most others are made over seas either in Japan, China or the Phillipines. I doubt that in the US and Asian areas there are more than a dozen or so plus the European makers.

All these other outfits that jump in and out of the industry just buy them from these manufacturers with their names on them.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured that must be the case. Hard to start up a factory anywhere and sell $100 optics and be profitable. With bricks and mortar cost, R&D, machinery, sales and marketing, and freight - it would not seem that new companies could easily sprout up.

Suspected that many new brands were private label products.

Will the bubble ever burst? When will we reach saturation point?

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Some scopes are assembled in the US out of parts made in China. They still mark them Made in USA.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
i was told by one of my supplyers
i could have scopes named what ever i wanted
packaged to my specs

just had to order one thousand at a time.....alike

i told them my middle name was leupold
and thats what i wanted the scopes name to be
they said that might not work out to well for me

so send me 900 prepaid orders and i will get us some ''GREYBEARD OPTICS'' SCOPES

[PLEASE DON'T DELETE THIS FOR NOT BEING IN THE CLASIFIED SECTION LOL]

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Question: How many scope manufacturers are there?

Answer: One in my eyes = Leupold! (All others fail to measure up)

That was fun!

Some retail stores put their names on optics made by other companies.

I am sure there are more than I realize if someone has an accurate listing.

Anyone know who makes the scope sold with Thompson Center name?

yooper77

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I use to be a Leupold fan. After spending a lot of time looking through scopes both in and out of stores I use Nikon Prostaffs & Bushnells. As good or better for 1/2 the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.