Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering another Contender, I would prefer to buy a new frame and fish up a barrel for it, but as we all know new frames are few and far between, the used ones I have seen have been a bit high, I seen 2 at the last gunshow I was at, both used, no scopes, nothing special, 1 10" 44 mag, and 1 10" 45-410..both $500 each, which to me seems high, they are about the same in local shops, are Contenders just fetching that kind of money these days? are shop owners just taking advantage of the lack of Contenders right now? if so I will wait on the G2, was wondering if its the same all over?

·
Registered
135 Posts
High price

I just bought my 3rd contender after not having one for a few years. It took me 3 weeks to finaly buy one priced within reson. They have gone up because of supply & demand. If new G2 is a hit, they will go back down in price.

·
Registered
579 Posts
How much are Contenders running in you guys

My buddy just picked up an old style frame with a 10" octagonal .222 barrel and scope for $325 from a local pawn shop. Looks like new and shoots well. You have to just keep your eyes open. In all honesty, he passed up a couple from other pawn shops that were obviously worn out.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
how much are Contenders

Our local dealer charged me $235 for a used frame and$225 for a new barrel for it. This is all plus tax. that puts you in the $500 range.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts

:D I lucked out in Dec., and consider it a fluke. I bought two late models (10" 30-30 & 14" 6.5 TCU) @ 350 ea. This is in the PRK where they can't be imported, and only be sold on consignment, or by private party.

BG

·
Registered
16 Posts
contender prices

There are two contenders in my local gun dealers case as I write. One is a 14in 35 rem the other is a 14in 45/410. he is asking $365 for the 45/410 and $385 for the 35 Rem. Both have been there for some time, so he would probably take less. There aren't many people shooting them around my area of New York. I have yet to see another in the woods.

·
Registered
30 Posts
contender prices

I lucked out, my wife got me my first contender this christmas.She paid $405.00 out the door, it was new in the box 223.super14,open sights,blue with wood. Shop was closing it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I just picked up a NOS (new old stock) blue/wood 14" 30-30 for $435.00. It was the only "new" Contender I could find in the area (although slightly shopworn). This was his last frame, but he has a blue 22 Hornet bbl, a SS 44 mag bbl & a couple of blue 30-30 bbls left in stock.

I wasn't that keen on the calibre as I really only wanted a humble 10" 22LR, but he wouldn't sell me the frame only. At least I can shop for a barrel at my leisure.

There is a local pawn shop that has had a frame, 35 rem, 223 & 375 Win set (all 14"), asking price $990.00, for at least two years. They absolutely won't break the set, and are vague about what they will really take "bottom line". They're the kind of place that I'm not comfortable about buying from, anyway.

The only TC products that I can regularly find here in MD are 209-550 Encore carbines...nothing in metallic cartridges at all.

MM

·
Registered
282 Posts

Picked up a SS with a 14" .223 barrel that had been shot very little for $350 out the door about 6 months ago. From what I am seein this musta been a pretty good price.

DonT :-D

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Contender Frames

Picked up an used frame S/N 130XXX with new 12LR Match 14" barrel and used base & rings for $350.00 plus tax. I think that I got a deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I was looking to stay in the $350-$400 area depending on what came with the gun, but $500 plus tax is a bit much for a used one, Thanks guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
frames

:D I bought a SS frame with a 15 inch bullberry barrel for $400. Really I bought it just for the frame and thought to sell the barrel but after shooting the 222 mag its a keeper for sure. Most accurate contender barrel I have ever had.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Frames

I am a new Contender owner of about two weeks. I was able to pick up a newer stainless frame & super 14" .223 barrel w/sights for $305. It had the usual wear marks from honest use, but was in good shape.

This was the first used stainless Contender I had seen in a while and was very surprised he was not asking more for it than he was. I have since torn the gun down and can find no heavy wear or abuse. The owner of the pawn shop was the person I dealt with, and I was able to talk him down to the price listed above. :D

Good Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
prices

the last one i bought was at a gun show last summer a 10" 22 hornet bull barrel with late frame.complete gun was 335.00 this was used but in good shape shoots great.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

Looking at the prices above, I feel very lucky in a recent deal I made.

I attended an estate auction and bought a contender, twenty nine diffrent barrels, several barrels with 4x Leupold scopes, reloading dies for all of the center fire calibers and enough ammo to start a small war. All for the price of $2,200. That was a bit more than I wanted to invest, I experiencexd buyers remorse for several days until I attended a gun show. Now I think I made a heck of a good deal........I'm sure I can get my money back, maybe even a profit when I decide to sell

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I have been able to locate 2 in a local shop, 1 is a 10" octagon 22 hornet with a 4X Leupold for $449, the other is a Super 14 30-30 with a 2X Simmons for the same price, the owner is notorious for not dealing at all, I already have a hornet barrel and the 30-30 is not something I am interested in, I would be buying these for the frame only, I probably wouldnt be able to sell the barrels for enough to bring the frame down to a reasonable price..so I am kind of stuck for the time being.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Smallie,
Keep checking places like GunsAmerica and Gunbroker, and even Auction Arms (although stay away from a guy listed as GUNPA, he uses the same picture for all 35 frames he has for sale so you aren't sure what you're getting). Frames are listed pretty often, sometimes for resonable prices. Remember a new Encore is in the $250 range ($235 at midsouth plus shipping and FFL fee at your end UPDATE 1/20-MIDSOUTH JUST RAISED THEIR PRICES, ENCORE PISTOL FRAME WITH GRIP AND FOREND IS NOW $256 PLUS SHIPPING). Saw 3 Contenders go on Auction Arm two weeks ago for $180-$250. Just make sure you're not bidding against me! :wink:
Helicopter Bill

·
Registered
223 Posts
Used/New Prices

Hey guys, keep looking. I now where there is a used-LIKE NEW Encore 7-08 (Frame and all) on consignment for $375. Maybe you can even do a little better. If anyone wants it, call Seneca Arms in Greenlane, PA and have an FFL in hand and ready to mail, or have your dealer do it. The number is (215)234-8984 after 9:30 Tuesday thru Saturday. Ask for John, the Owner of the greatest gunshop in the world. Tell him 'Topgun' sent you, and tell him where you heard about it. Maybe I'll get a deal next time!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I have been able to find a Contender in a shop not to far away, its a 16" 45-410, shop owner says its in like new condition? has said he will go as low as $375 plus tax, is this a good deal? might go and take a look at it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts