Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed Keisler's(SGN) advertizing several variations of Sharps rifles in .45-70 for around $500. I assume these are Italian-made.....but HOW GOOD are they?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hate to be negitive, but if your going to shoot alot with theses imports, plan on having quality problems, At least 5 out of 10 would come back for smithing issues, they are quite rough on the inside, parts are under or over tempered, extraction problems, fireing issues.

I would steer clear of these want-to-be`s, if any serious shooting is in mind!

RON KONTOWSKY
DEAN`S GUNSHOP II
GUNSMITHING DIV.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your honesty. I have 2 .45-70s in my 'stable'...a Winchester(Japanese) 1886 Lightweight and a Marlin Guide Gun. I WANT a single shot...either a Sharps or an 1885 Browning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
R.Tillery, The $500 sharps are imports but the worst part is they are "cheap" imports and very few are good shooters. I shot a lot of BPCR at "buffalo steel", silhouttes, and long range. I own and shot extensively a Pederasoli, 74 Sharps which is an excellent gun. I have shot thousands of BPRC through this thing and it is like new. These guns are designed for black powder. If you are looking for a 74 Sharps to shoot smokeless in, you really should consider a different rifle. The 1885 Winchster High Wall comes to mind. Good Luck! Make Smoke!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts