Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Locally there is a Dillon 550b set up for 223 and 9mm. There are a lot of extras. Most of which I already have. I have several single station presses but never a progressive. I think it's time. There is also a square b around here for sale with half a dozen calibers.
What should I be spending and what machines are recommended?
Thanks in advance
Randy

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Dillon stuff has a life time replacement so it really holds it`s value. I`ve been loading on a 550 since the 1980`s and would have no other press. I`ve never had a Sguare Deal, but I know it is a real good press for handgun ammo.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I have both the 550B, bought new, and the Square Deal, bought used. I bought them both back in 1984. Don't know what they're worth now, but I would guess pretty close to top dollar. Have loaded without a doubt thousands of rounds on them, never a problem. I did break a part in my Dillon super swage, and I called Dillon, they sent me a spare part at no cost. Good solid American company, that stands behind their products.

The best advice I can give you is to look up the current prices, and work it from there.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Catfish said:
Dillon stuff has a life time replacement so it really holds it`s value. I`ve been loading on a 550 since the 1980`s and would have no other press. I`ve never had a Sguare Deal, but I know it is a real good press for handgun ammo.
Except their electronic stuff, then the warranty is for one year. However, I did buy an electronic scale from Dillon, back in 1984, when Dillon did offer a lifetime warranty on their older model electronic scale. It broke this year (wouldn't give the correct readings), I contacted Dillon, and they told me that they no longer offered the lifetime warranty on their electronic scales, but they gave me a new model replacement scale, with the understanding that the warranty was now only for a year. You can't complain about the quality (31 years service for the original scale), and customer service ( a new scale as a replacement).

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Used items bring whatever a buyer is willing to pay and some excited people are willing to pay more than retail - but not many!

My own rule of thumb is to offer about half of current new street prices, usually less. I like to restore mechanical things and will buy many things if the bones are sound and I can get it cheep enough. Occasionally I'll pay a little more if it's only lightly used and in great shape or if it's something I really want. But my iron clad limit is to never pay more than 75% of new; above that is getting too close to buying new.

No one gives a 'lifetime guarantee' for free; they simply can't. That means the later costs of 'free parts' is factored into the original price and people who don't break things pay for those who do. That makes lifetime deals great for mechanical klutzes but not so great for careful others. I select my new toys based on features, not the warrantee.

I don't need/want a progressive machine but if I did I'd grit my teeth and pay for a Dillon because of its features.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Have had a Dillion for 15+ years, excellent press. Use it for my pistol ammo, stuff me and the boys go thru a lot of. All my rifle ammo I load on a Redding press. What I would consider more than anything else is, how much-quantity- do you plan on reloading? If less than a couple thousands a year, a single stage or turret would work fine. I would bet that 50% of all progressive press don't get used that much. Kind of like all the big 4 wheel drive pick ups that are running around. Bragging rights for the owners I guess. gypsyman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.