Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell when it's time to have your bow restrung? Do you do it every couple of years or is there a way to determine it's going bad?

I'm shooting a matthews legacy, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Visually inspect the string, Look at the serving for any snaking of strands underneath. How much do you shoot? Back before I was married I shot every day and shot a tournament every weekend, plus league night. back then I would replace it just before bow season and it would usually last till the following year.. I would often pull my cable and string off and re-serve them. Also light weight arrows will cause abnormal wear on a string.. mark your cam position this will let you know if your string is stretching. this can be remedied by twisting the string or cable to take up slack. - Hope this helps, Kevin

·
Registered
326 Posts
Don't forget the wax!

The number one reason I have to change strings/cables for customers is the lack of care. Remember to wax the string/cable for longer life....it'll make a noticeable difference.

Most strings don't need changing, maybe re-serving...(simple 10 minute fix)
Most strings will show wear(fraying) around the peep...(no fix for this-new string)

Scott B

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also have a Legacy, and I waited about 4 years before I changed them, Probably too long. The reason I changed them was because they stretched far enough to put the Bow out of spec. and even after twisting them to bring it back into specs I lost about 4-5 lbs of draw weight. I think it depends on how much you shoot, and of course if you keep it wax good. Some say change them once a year, I think maybe every two years. On an old string/cable it might look ok, but could have some damage inside that you can't see. Better to be safe... Your Legacy is what 5 or 6 years old?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forget when I bought it, maybe five years ago. I just noticed the groups getting larger and know it can't be me ::)

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I didn't know, thanks for the links,
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts