Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loading for my 223 Short. A few months back, I loaded a lot of brass with 12gr, 12.5gr, 13gr and 13.5gr of Benchmark, purchased locally a few months back too.

Back then, 12gr would not reach the case neck, and 13.5gr just about filled the case.

I use a Lee balance scale to calibrate the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, no issues, very simple and very efficient.

Tonight, 12gr of Benchmark overfills the case a smidgen. I use the same brand of case and the case length is easily within spec. It seems to have taken on the 2400 volume characteristics where I loaded 10gr, 10.5gr, 11gr and 11.5gr.

My powder storage has been in the original container with tight lid (I think) in a desk draw inside my trailer, and only subjected to temperature fluctuations within the trailer - 60˚F to 80˚F.

Should the container have one of those little Silica Gel bags or cartridges? Any ideas about what is going on?

From Clueless in Clinton, MO.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
223_short, is the powder same lot number as the first batch? Second, do you have any of the first batch still handy. Could you pull the bullet and double check powder amounts? Do you have any weights to check your scales? Whole bunch of possibility's here. Gonna have to go threw and double check several different things. gypsyman

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
gypsyman said:
. . . . . . . Do you have any weights to check your scales? . . . . . .
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ this is important- don't just weigh a bullet or two-check weights go the full spectrum ^ ^ ^

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How stable is Benchmark? <--- A total red herring! Solved.

Thanks for your feedback. Same bottle of Benchmark as my source. When talking check weights, I hadn't seen any. I did check some bullet weights, that was barely helpful as at 30g there were differences. I pulled a round as suggested and the powder levels were similar, not identical, I put that down to settling over time.

Then it occurred to me, RTFM! (Read The Friggin' Manual, a popular adage from my software days.)
This is embarrassing, but maybe some others will learn from my disorganization in this regard, but at least I just did not charge ahead after I noticed the difference in the powder charge from the first session.

So here is the solution for those not familiar with Lee products. The Lee Safety Powder Scale, a balance arm and tray type scale, has a zero reset thumbwheel that is adjustable by the user. My short-term memory failed me on this one, because I must have done the simple process to reset zero when I first loaded up the test suite of rounds. I do admit, that getting a set of check weights is still a very good idea for the times like this, certainly they would have helped in resolving the issue quicker, just as long as I remembered how my equipment works!

Sorry to bother you all. :D A sincere thanks.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts

223_Short said:
. . . . getting a set of check weights is still a very good idea . . . .
it is if there are none that can be borrowed. the guy that showed me reloading showed
me how to use a set of check weights to confirm the scale was working and accurate as
designed. he said to come borrow them several times a year to check my scale set. i did
up until i lost track of him and bought my own. the least expensive set is more than adequate for
loading for hunting and informal target shooting. i'd borrow a set to check with if you can.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

223_Short said:
So here is the solution for those not familiar with Lee products. The Lee Safety Powder Scale, a balance arm and tray type scale, has a zero reset thumbwheel that is adjustable by the user. My short-term memory failed me on this one, because I must have done the simple process to reset zero when I first loaded up the test suite of rounds. I do admit, that getting a set of check weights is still a very good idea for the times like this, certainly they would have helped in resolving the issue quicker, just as long as I remembered how my equipment works!

Sorry to bother you all. :D A sincere thanks.
Along with check weights, I also have inexpensive digital scale I use to double check my powder charges against my beam scale. This not only confirms to me that my beam scale is working, but that I have adjusted it correctly also. Sometimes with old eyes, one can put those little slidey thingies in the wrong spot...........

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darn good ideas all. After I solved my problem I have been immersed in more gunsmith type activities. This certainly has been a serious learning experience for me. I should have got into reloading and shooting 40 years ago...better late than never I guess. Thanks again. The GBO community is great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.