Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several things can be done to help the new CAS shooter.
After a couple of matches, let them scorekeep. This will help them learn the alisas of the posse and give them a chance to watch the stage shot a few times before it's their turn. They also can see how the counters work and, let's face it, writing down a time and number of misses is not all that hard. :grin:
Another is to let them read the stage instructions to the posse. This gives them visual as well as auditory inputs to the stage and makes them feel like a valued member of the group.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
After a couple of stages, keeping score for a couple more, let'em run the timmer for a few of the experienced shooters, garontee that'll be quite an introduction to the way things work. Trying to watch the shooter, make sure he doesen't do anything unsafe, maybe have to coach a little, and stay out of the way at the same time. I've found you learn a lot real fast!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I try to engage new shooters in every aspect of the game when feasible. After they shoot a few stages, I ask them to help with the loading and unloading tables (with instruction) , have them help count misses (spotters), and pick up brass.

I think the most important thing to teach new shooters is that EVERYONE IS A SAFTEY OFFICER - never hesitate to politely ask about perceived safety violations, and never hesitate to step in and take charge if presented with blatant violation (sweeping posse/crowd). It might just be his own life he saves and it's nice to know we are all watching each other's back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with Jimmy . We try to let every new shooter help in any and every way we can... Even if it just pickin up brass to start... Most will run the timer once or twice ( with a regular shooter and a coach).. I"ve found this gets them more into feelin a part of the whole game..

One thing to . I've introduced a lot of shooters to CAS over the years. usually in the first shoot they attend with me I supply everything they need from guns, to holsters and ammo.. and the club here lets every new shooter shoot free the first time.. Seems to help get the ones who really enjoy it get hooked that much faster.... :wink:

Montana

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
There is one thing I forgot to mention, and I'm guilty of it. Most times when I get to a shoot I want to visit with the frends I've made and don't get to see but every month or two and I have to work at finding the folks that I haven't met and at least saying hello, welcome and are ya having fun. Usually by that far into the conversation the new folks, weither new to CAS or new to the club, will be comfortable enough to ask questions. I hate to say it, but I know a few that seem to care less about the new folks. If ya care about the growth of your club, see to the needs of those that are unfamiliar with your club.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts