Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Howa 1500 in 223rem with the 24inch heavy barrel on the way. any one know what twist rate these have? i was wondering what bullet weights to start off seeing it likes the best.
it has a black plastic stock on it right now, and hit the Boyd's web site but i don't see the heavy bench rest stock they used to make anymore? figures!
so i was thinking maybe a Hogue then any one like or dislike theres?
thanks!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
because of their reputation for excellent accuracy i wouldn't change the stock 'til i knew how the rifle shoots with the factory unit.

you'll have to look at the website to see what the rate of twist would be. do a search for 'howa rifles' and you'll get there.

ss'

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i found Howa's web site and the varminter barrel in 223rem is 1 in 12 twist rate.
and i see your point about the factory plastic stock, and it may not be that bad?
to bad theres not alot of choices for stock for it, so far i found Hogue makes two different stocks for it and Bell & Carlson.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i am impressed!!! my high power rifle range only goes to 100 yards, but at 100 my new Howa did very well!! i put my Tasco world class 6-24 scope on top and sighter her in a 50 yards and took her to 100 and hit dead center every time. couldn't ask for much more out of a $350 rifle!! dam!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a Howa Thumbhole Varmint 223 Rem rifle. I think that the stock was made by Boyd . I glass bedded the action ,free floated the barrel and adjusted the trigger down to three pounds. I think that the Howa rifles are one of the best for the price. My rifle shoots 1/2 inch five shoot groups with 50 Gr bullets.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the Howa tupper ware stock is going to be going asap. i got a Boyd's varmint stock coming!! i was sick of be able to twist the rifle around in the tupper ware stock. have to see how it shoots in some wood real soon.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my Howa didn't have a Hogue stock but just a very plain looking plastic one and not worthy of a heavy barrel rifle. so i picked up a Boyd's pepper laminate varminter stock off a guy on eBay. he has had alot of Howa / Vanguard stock for sale there lately. now with this stock its worthy of being a varmint rifle!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts