Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one time I only hunted with traditional bows & arrows. I loved it until I blew out both shoulders and lost enough muscle mass that I could no longer compecate with strength for my injured shoulders. Anyway back then I had a extensive archery library and read about archery ancient & modern.

My shoulders actually have quit hurting enough that I can sleep without pain meds, so I'm beginning to feel my interest in archery revive.

Last week I dug out one of my Howard Hill books, "Wild Adventure" Howard was also a movie director and wildlife photographer and made several movies including a African movie, "Tembo" that took almost a year to film in the dark continent.

The thing that amazed me was in rereading this old book. 1954 vintage and a first edition. Howard made the statement that even though they had several 375 magnum rifles available he personally chose the weapon that killed the cleanest and quickest, the Long Bow.

He killed elephants, 20' crocks as well as all the other dangerous game in Africa with the LongBow. He did design a special arrow and head for the heavy game. The head weighed 1200 grains. The shaft was 40" long.

The movie is still available today. But of course by modern standards it's primitive.

The DVD version as well as the books can be ordered from Howard hill archery in Montana.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I visited the bow making shop in Hamilton MT several years ago. Was intent on owning a Howard Hill Archery bow. Hand shock killed that idea. Wanted a piece of that history.

My shoulders are trashed too.

Sent via Pony Express rider through Indian country.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
pastorp said:
The head weighed 1200 oz so. The shaft was 40" long.
Is that correct, or is it a typo?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
uh. . . . a bit more than that.
at 16 oz to the pound, 1200
ounces should be 75 pounds
unless i'm too tired to think right

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, my mistake. It is not ounces but grains. Actually the arrow he used to kill the elephants the broad head weighed 1700 grains and his split bamboo bow pulled 110 pounds.

He did use a 1200 grain broad head on some smaller dangerous game.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I remember watching film of this guy, he was unbelievable! Never seen anyone evean come close to matching his skill with a bow! And he was shooting a long bow ,not the machines they now call a bow!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
His movie Tembo is a must see. He also appeared as the Captain of the Archers? in the original Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. He shot for the King against Robin Hood (who was in disguise) at a tournament.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
When I was a youngster I got to meet Howard Hill. Ben Pearson Archery was located (still is) in my home town. Back in that day the Pearson bows were the cat's meow.Hill was a spokesman for Pearson. We went to see Hill put on a demonstration for Pearson and do some trick shooting. He shot mostly Pearson bows for the demo, but had a big split bamboo long bow he hunted with as well.I think at that time he held the world record for longest shot with bow. One that he shot from the sitting position pulled with both hands with his feet against the bow.

He signed his autograph for me and a bunch of other kids at that time.For me it was like meeting Roy Rogers or Gene A. This thread brought back memories. What great times those were.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.