Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! I was just wonderin how your rossi shoots. I shot my buddy's 243 today and i really liked the way it felt. I have been thinking about getting one in 243 or 270. If you have a rossi, please tell me how it shoots. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought a Rossi 243 Bull Barrel 2 years ago. Never did get the scope set right. Shot at a deer at 150 yards held on the shoulder and blew its head off. Sent the barrel to the factory. They sent me a new one(i think). It did the same thing. 6 to 8 inch groups at 100 yds. I took it to my local gunsmith and we put a no-go headspace gauge in it and the action closed and fired. We put a Heck no no-go gauge in it and the action closed and fired. Traded it for a remington-less than 1 inch groups out of the box with factory ammo. You should see the groups I get with handloads. All I can say is if you get one Good Luck

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, from all the bad stuff i have read about them i dont think i am going to get one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a rossi .223 with the varmint bbl, it shoots good groups to 300yds. I handload for this rifle though.
I use 52gr BTHP match bullets with 24.gr of IMR 3031.
I have taken lots of woodchucks with it out to 350yds.
sighted in at 200yds I have a 3/4 to 1" group with it. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't know about the .223 but the .308 I have will not hold a 3" group at 50 yds. Have tried numerous brands of ammo and to no avail. Have did all the tricks listed in the H&R forum and still nothing. I personally will never own another Rossi.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have one in .30-06. I was going to scope it but I don't like the way the rail has a bit of a gap ... plus you have to remove the rear sight. I decided to make this rifle the "ultimate truck gun." I changed the rear sight - put on a Williams square notch and have swapped out a higher front sight with the blaze orange bead. It's right on the money at 50 yards and 150 gr Winchester Powerpoints. My local range is down for maintenance til the spring... then I will try it at 100 yards and a few handloads. I just need an ammo sleeve for the stock and I already have the sling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I am seeing some bad reports and some good ones.

Some with 1" at a half mile and others not able to stay on a newspaper at 50'.

Is buying a Rossi rifle really just a crap-shoot?

Is the chance you take any different than other brands? I have seen guys at the range cussing their NEF ss rifles, scratching their heads over the foul beasts.

Is this just the chance we take when buying a shotguns with a rifle barrel attached for half what we would pay for a name brand rifle in the same caliber?

Anyone had more than one, or more than one rifle barrel at a time?

I can live with 8" groups at 100 yards, but not 8" groups at 50 yards. I'm not looking for a sniper rifle, I just want to know the shot will go in the kill zone of a deer at 100.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have only had one but some buddies had them and some like them and some didn't. Problem is that the barrel is very light weight and when they get hot they spray bullets from what I've seen. And I don't mean hot from 10-15 rds, I'm talking 1-2 rds from my experience. My .308 would hold a 4-5 inch pattern at 50 yds when I let it cool for about 10-15 min between each shot. Yes, you usually only get 1 shot but for me I need the confidence in that 1 shot and I don't have it with this gun. I have heard more bad than good with Rossi to include their revolvers. Once you get a bad one its hard to try it again. Especially when you can put 50-100 dollars more with it and get a proven name brand gun. But to each his own.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
I say go with the American made H&R/NEF, if for some reason you get a lemon, they (the factory) will make it right, and for free, they will repair or adjust it it to shoot well, in some cases they have replaced the entire gun, not just the barrel, or they have even been known refunded the price of the gun!!! Those guns are made here and repaired here, they are not made overseas, and additional barrels are available for them. I also have seen guys complaining of the accuracy of their guns, and I have also found out that not all the time, but many times, it is the shooter and not the gun. many think they can shoot, and somewhat less than that number actually can. This site has a great H&R/NEF forum with many experienced H&R/NEF shooters that can offer knowledge and help to new single shot shooters that want it...Merry Christmas and all the best of luck with whichever gun, single shot or not, that you choose, and remember, whatever you do, be safe and have fun!!!....<><....:)

·
Registered
790 Posts
seems to me Rossi is like a 50/50 chance of getting a good rifle or not. i think mine's ok, haven't had much of a chance to really shoot it much.
i'm going to try and mount a bipod to the underside of the reciever, thing shot best rested there and the scope i got really limits it to rested firing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a .308 that shoots 1-2" groups @ 100 yds with gas checked cast bullets and I just got a 7.62x39 that shoot one hole groups @ 50 yds, again with cast bullets. I do know that the headspace is tight on the .308 and long on the 7.62x39. People are blaming hard primers on both the Rossi and NEF 7.62x39's, but I would bet it's all in the headspace. I would bet they bored them to shoot any piece of crappola ammo that we could find, and in the end, ended up screwing them up.

All things considered, I think mine are keepers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the Rossi Heavy Barrel 223. Sighted it in using 4 different boxes. Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, and Sellier. 55 grains.

The Remington had the best grouping at 100.

Already smacked 3 coyotes with 3 shots, the last running diagonal away from me at 175.

True shooter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts