Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Australia and have had no contact with guys who hunt in continental Europe so I'm interested to know what the average European rifle hunter uses.
Do they primarily use the well known European brands like Sako, Mannlicher-Steyr, Sauer, Blaser, Roessler Titan, Kreighoff, Heym, Tikka, CZ and Mauser?
Or do just as many American brands sell well in Europe?
Do they usually use bolt guns or do many use doubles, drillings and cape guns?
It'd be interesting to know what those guys are using on the Continent.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'd guess it depends on what country you're in.

Many European countries require that you spend thousands on permits, hunter safety and firearms courses just to be able to own a rifle or shotgun. Then tack on exorbitant fees for hunting on somebody's land.

Probably some other countries are less restrictive with more public hunting opportunities.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how most of Europe is but I live in Australia where the government wastes taxes on firearms registries and processes that anyone with half a brain could see are not effective. I get the permit business. I have a few. I'm just wondering what they own.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i've not been there. from what i've read
it's about as varied as here in the U.S.

depends on region, local laws, type of
game sought after, etc. also.

i don't they're as obsessed with the gun
fads as folks are here.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have a friend whose family came from Romania and he still has family over there and they have a little land & money, which is usually a good thing. He goes over every year for a visit and he always has a hunt or two planned. They shoot hogs and some sort of deer. His family uses and supplies him with Mauser's - I think he said he used an 8X57 on boar - other calibers I don't know what they would be.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, absolutely, the 30-06 is popular the world over and I think more popular in hunting rifles in Europe than 308. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Europeans load heavy for calibre bullets and 308 is often limited to about 180gn by its 1:12 twist. But I'm just wondering which brands and what action/bbl arrangement is common.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
From what I've read, several European countries prohibit the use of military cartridges for hunting.

Don't know much about their rifle choices, but I did watch this video from a hunter in the UK and he tells a bit about their rules and his choices. In this vid, he has a custom Ruger 10/22 and I think a custom Savage 17 HMR. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IdR8YAN_0kE

Correction: His 17 HMR is an Anschuntz.

The video goes on about the menial information about the differences of the 22LR and the 17 HMR a bit, and how his guns have different modifications to suit each caliber. And the legalities of different action types and ammo capacities of each. As well as the cost of using them in the UK.
Both guns have moderators of varying quality, which are legal in the UK and possibly mandatory, without special permits or tax.

Later, he does some target shooting and explains that buying guns in the UK has to be approved by the county Fire Marshall and that getting permission to buy the 17 HMR is more difficult than getting a .243 or 22-250 for deer hunting. So apparently these, 243 and 22-250, are the preferred calibers for hunting deer in the UK, although he doesn't go into what type of action or brand of rifle these might come in. He briefly mentions wild boars, but doesn't expand on guns used for hunting them.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
kombi1976 said:
I live in Australia and have had no contact with guys who hunt in continental Europe so I'm interested to know what the average European rifle hunter uses.
Do they primarily use the well known European brands like Sako, Mannlicher-Steyr, Sauer, Blaser, Roessler Titan, Kreighoff, Heym, Tikka, CZ and Mauser?
Or do just as many American brands sell well in Europe?
Do they usually use bolt guns or do many use doubles, drillings and cape guns?
It'd be interesting to know what those guys are using on the Continent.

Do a search for a poster here called Brithunter. He's a avid hunter collector in great Britten. He haven't been posting much the last 3 years or so. Ran afoul of the British gun laws I heard but his old posts might be helpful to your question.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm particularly interested in places like Germany and Austria.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Probably something that says Waffen on it.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Go to the 24hr campfire forum and look up "writingfrog". He's a French hunting/shooting/outdoors journalist. He really knows his stuff about European hunting. He can tell you all you want to know.

Good luck Mate.

Pete

·
Registered
731 Posts
There used to be an irish chick on the local forum who was engaged to a guy from here, she used a 7mm mag remington 700 if i recall right. Had really good pictures of a huge red irish stag she had killed.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi All,

Despite the rumours I am not dead nor in prison ;D just not had much to do or say about shooting. Anyway the laws in most of the European states are very converluted and often make no sense at all. Until fairly recently all Miltary cartridges were banned from most use in France but now you can own and use a 30-06 for hunting there. I am not that familiar with the European mainland laws and rules......................... sorry.

Now here in the UK they have changed a few things in that we can now use .22 Centre fires on Muntjac deer and Chinese Water Deer both of course being smaller deer speacies and both non native, an introduced, species however unlike Scotland these .22 Centre fires are not legal for Roe Deer. For the other 4 huntable deer species, Roe, Fallow,Sika and Red Deer rifles of .240 Min cal are required. Now according to the Police who still adminster most of the firearms licensing .243 is the minimum calibre for deer. Of course they are not bright enough to work out that this is in fact illegal as the .243 and 6mm Remington are of course a .23 calibre as the bore size is under the magic .240" the groove size is of course over .240" but in the English language bore is the size of the hole.

Anyway the Police have never bothered with the law only what suits their purpose and they just love that word Minimum.

The laws in Scotland are different as they are in Northern Ireland. In Scotland they brought in a stupid minmum velocity which is 2450 fps and coupled it with a minimum muzzle energy of 1700 ft lbs. This makes classic deer cartridges like the 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer and of course the 30-30 Winchester illegal. The 303 British is marginal as accordign to these "Experts" they cannot cleanly kill deer unless they have velocities higher than 2450fps ::) .

There is no no game Licence it seems and it's perfectly legal to sell Venision althoguh they now have a safety certificate that it seems one needs ot have before you can sell any venision. Just another way of taxing the people. Each and every firearm unless decativated of certain antiques require a Fire Arms certificate to buy and hold each firearm. Ammunition is alos regulated in this even soft poitn bullets as they are sooooooooooooooooooooo dangerous even before being loaded into a cartridge ::) . FMJ componant bullets can be bought via mail still but not the Section 5 expanding bullets. The Police do not like anyone to have more than a few guns. Through being a collector I managed to acculmulate just over 50 and that was part of the problem I beat the system and had too many :eek: so had to be made an example of!

You have so show "Good reason" for having each and every firearm and shooting is not a good enough reason on it's own it seems.

Powders and primers are covered by seperate explosive regulations yes even smokless powders and there is a limit to what one can hold at any time. Black Powder requires an explosive certifcate to buy and own with restrctions on how it is stored and transported. Police don't deal with this it falls under the HSE (Health & Safety Executive) a Government agency.

When they changed the licensing system they whacked up the fees payable saying that it would improve the service :eek: well of course they lied the system is now an even worse shambles that is was before with FAC grants now taken up to almost a year from application. Rewenals and a one for one, this is where the certificate holder swaps a friearm on his licence for another, are taking months to do.

Oh yes there is also no public land hunting........................ none. So fight to keep what you have and don't let it get like it is here.

[/size]O
[/size]

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
I was stationed in Germany for three years and hunted the whole time. My German friends had JP Sauer and Sohns, Sauer 202s, Blasers, Krieghoffs, Anschutz, and some had Drillings of different brands. The 22 Hornet is a popular round for small game but some would shoot hogs behind the ear with it and not scare off more game. The 7x57 was used a lot as was the 8x57. A few had 30-06s and 308s. Even the 6.5x55 was more poplar than our US cartridges. I saw more 16ga shotguns than 12ga or 20ga. Frankonia is the EU equivalent to Cabelas. Try searching their website for what seems to be popular sellers. Waffens are guns. ;)

http://m.frankonia.de/schiesssport/sportwaffen/gebrauchte-sportwaffen/Artikel.html#page=3

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just out of interest , when were you stationed in Germany.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dinny said:
kombi1976 said:
Just out of interest , when were you stationed in Germany.
2005-2008

Thanks, Dinny
Cheers. 👍
It really helps to read about recent hunting there as the language barrier tends to make it harder to follow. Plus, the hunting world is kinda focused more on what American hunters are interested in, not that I disagree with that because you guys hunt some amazing stuff, but it takes the focus away from Europe. At least here in Oz it does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts