Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
In answer to your question, if you are talking about the older "AL" serial number prefix series (70's production) Huntsman. The answer is no, but the frame could be modified to fit. That was my point of contention on whether the older Huntsman models required a Form 4473. I said no, because of the wording of the law, but the guys here said it was required, because the law stated Huntsman muzzle loaders are required to be transferred using a Form 4473. These guns usually have the push in/out or screw in breech plugs, and use a #11 primer.

If you are talking about the newer Huntsman frames, the only difference between the shotgun (SB1) frames and the newer Huntsman frames are the "Huntsman" markings and some frames with case coloring. The barrel will drop right in. It may need some minor fitting or none if your lucky. These guns use the 209 shotgun primer system.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Huey said:
Were the old Huntsman ML built on shotgun frames? Could you swap a shotgun barrel on it? Mine was built in 1974.
I have Huntsman in 12 ga, .58, and .45. The 12 ga's will interchange with each other but won't fit the other frames. The .58 won't fit any of the other frames. The .45s will interchange with each other, but won't fit the 12 ga.s or the .58. My experience only but I have 6 huntsman in total to try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering if I could put a 20ga barrel on the .45 ML frame. I wouldn't think that H&R back in the day would build a frame just for ML, they would use a frame that they already had in production (shotgun or CF) so all they would have to develop would be the barrels to save time and expense. If ML were built on shotgun frames then shotgun barrels would be ok to re-fit on the ML.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The old huntsman frames have a large diameter, flat tipped f-pin as they were intended for percussion caps on a nipple. My experience with the old huntsman frames is fitting a shotgun barrel will require relief of either the inside of the frame or the barrel underlug. Also, the lockup may also require your attention. I have successfully used the old huntsman frames to ignite 209 primers on muzzleloader and shotgun barrels.

BB

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
bikerbeans said:
The old huntsman frames have a large diameter, flat tipped f-pin as they were intended for percussion caps on a nipple. My experience with the old huntsman frames is fitting a shotgun barrel will require relief of either the inside of the frame or the barrel underlug. Also, the lockup may also require your attention. I have successfully used the old huntsman frames to ignite 209 primers on muzzleloader and shotgun barrels.

BB
Agree. I couldn't fit any other barrels to the frames and the flat firing pin will set off a 209 but I doubt it would be easy to set off anything else.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Huey said:
My serial number starts with AM, what the book says it was built in 1974.
That's the older style Huntsman. Same as the "AL" series.

Huey said:
I was wondering if I could put a 20ga barrel on the .45 ML frame. I wouldn't think that H&R back in the day would build a frame just for ML, they would use a frame that they already had in production (shotgun or CF) so all they would have to develop would be the barrels to save time and expense. If ML were built on shotgun frames then shotgun barrels would be ok to re-fit on the ML.
They did use basically the same frame, but the cutout area in the frame for the was narrower, to preclude interchangeability with centerfire rifle/shotgun barrels. This was done to avoid the Form 4473, after all it was a muzzle loader, but government bureaucrats screwed that pooch when H&R decided to also name the newer type muzzle loaders Huntsman. That's why H&R later developed the Sidekick.

bikerbeans said:

BB
Basically what I said, but perhaps BB said it better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts