Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new blue huntsman now need to work up a load. Going to start with 777 & 295power belts, seems what most guys do well with here. Would also like to find a practice load with cheaper bullets, anyone cast lead ML bullets for their huntsman/sidekick. have a REAL bullet mold 250 or 320 gr can't remember & a maxi ball mold 370gr. Anyone shoot these??

How does 777 work with the lube bore butter on these lead conicals?? or would another powder be better
inquiring minds need to know where to start :grin:

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I use 777 in my muzzle loaders and it works fine. Just remember to use a GOOD antiseize on your threads on the breech plug and since 777 seems to build up a crud ring I have a shotgun mop I use that is damp with a water based solvent eithe for BP or I use water and Ballistol mixed. The mop just has to be semi wet or damp to work good. I use REAL bullets and they work fine. I also make a lube out of bore butter and bees wax which works real nice with conicals. I use half and half about and if that is too stiff for you than use a bit more bore butter. I have heard bees wax and olive oil half and half is a good lube too. I really like 777 for its easy clean up. It does tend to make the breech plug stick so anti sieze is neccessary if they made a better wrench it probably would be easier to get that plug out. I am going to check the idea that others have posted here of making a better wrench using a socket either welded or epoxied so you can use a socket wrench on it. The crud ring is a hassle if you do not clean after a few shots but not that much of a hassle and none at all if you are one of those guys who run a cleaning patch or mop down after every couple of shots. Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts