Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a huntsman 'project' barrel, and was wondering if anybody was still making carrier-less plugs for the 7/8 size. i realize the threads are a little strange (i read it was 7/8-20), so "off the shelf" solutions don't work, unless there's a cross-fit from another brand of in-line. adaptations don't appear to be available without going custom.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
I have made a couple numerious emails nothing answered.

I need to check the number I have.

CW

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
I was able to get thru to MU this AM.

They ONLY have 5/8 available. NO PLANS on making more.

Single person who made them retired.

Well that sux...

CW

·
Super Moderator
51,041 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. for all the tools i have, for some reason, a pitch gauge has never been a priority item to obtain. well, i have spent an inordinate amount of time over the past 12 hours looking for specialty machine screws in that thread, which turns out to be classified as 7/8-20 unef, a standard, but virtually non existent bolt size. my next thought, being the frugal [translated-cheap!] person i am....i'm contemplating adapting/altering the existing breech plug to use any one of the shotgun primer adapter nipples on the market. i did a file test on the breech plug, and it is hard, but within the range of machine-ability. drilling slightly small for maximum thread engagement, it shouldn't be difficult to do. the biggest issue would be depth for actually seating the primer adapter, and that would be done slowly and carefully.

·
Super Moderator
51,041 Posts
I machined and threaded a 7/8" Huntsman BP to accept a musket nipple, have never shot a load, but it pops flangeless musket caps just fine. Since I did that, the state made 209 primers legal, but the ML seasons here are crap, so I never changed the BP. I would think you could make an adapter to accept 209 primers that could be used in a modified factory BP.

Tim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tim, I haven't been on here in years but finally decided I needed to pick up a new BP while I still could. Saw this thread and ordered a 7/8" plug from Precision Rifle. My kid is old enough to hunt with firearms now so I bought another make and want to run Blackhorn 209 in both rigs. The new BP should give me years of service out of my Huntsman and is cheaper than a new gun. Glad the sub forum is still up, thanks for keeping it going.

·
Super Moderator
51,041 Posts
We're still here, but lots of changes, glad we could help!

Tim

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I was able to get thru to MU this AM.

They ONLY have 5/8 available. NO PLANS on making more.

Single person who made them retired.

Well that sux...

CW
Just ordered another 5/8" for mine, but they are indeed out of the 7/8". However, the lady taking my info said they were not sure at this point that they would "get anymore in".

Cost was $40 with shipping included.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Primer pocket was huge and a bit too deep. Blew the primer because of the excessive pocket diameter and the primer fell apart when removed.

MU is sending a replacement after I sent them photos of the bulged primer and measurements of the primer pocket.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Im still watching looking for a 7/8".

Hope I can get it before next season!!!

CW

·
Registered
681 Posts
omega i had the opposite with a PR plug, switching primer brands solved my issue. worth a shot. i learned all 209s are not the same.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
omega i had the opposite with a PR plug, switching primer brands solved my issue. worth a shot. i learned all 209s are not the same.
Diameters pretty much are the same. Lengths can vary up to a hundredth or so between brands.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Im still watching looking for a 7/8".

Hope I can get it before next season!!!

CW
May have to break down and get one from PR for the 7/8" if nobody will machine out a copy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts