Graybeard Outdoors banner

I Bought My First 1911

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  glockmeister 
#1 ·
OK. I qualified on the 1911A1 in the navy in 85. I was not into guns at that time. But I do remember liking the weight of it in my hand. It felt "natural". I also remember all the ones I stood watch with rattled like a baby toy.

Anyway. 30 years later I finally decided to get one of my very own. I don't know much about them beyond what I learned in the military. So I have been digging information and decided I wanted a Series 70 1911 to start with. I looked at a lot of entry level pistols and finally decided on the Rock Island M1911-A1 Tactical M#51431. I bought it new for the warranty.

I wanted the beaver tail and bobbed hammer because I do remember the hammer spur and bite it can give you. Other than that I just wanted a solid beginner pistol.

So does anyone have a holster recommendation. I tend to like leather gear. I plan on this being my home defense and range plinker. I am not really going to carry it otherwise. Maybe during hunting season. I was thinking of maybe even getting a chest style holster, but never used one of those either so I am looking for some experienced perspectives.

Also does anyone have any "improvment tips" they can share to make em better? I know they can be a tinkerers dream.

See less See more
#2 ·
8uck5nort, congrats on your new 1911! The best thing to do is to take it out and shoot it, lots and often. For your holster, check out a Bianchi 19, they are leather and well made, for a production holster. There are many custom holster makers out there, more money, but higher quality holster. Check out Andrews leather, somewhat expensive and a waiting period but good stuff. Watch the video about how he makes his holsters and you will understand the cost and waiting time. The 1911's probably have more specialty parts out there than any other firearm, after you and the 1911 get aquainted at the range you may want to get some goodies for your new .45. First buy should be some extra magazines, check out the Wilson Combat magazines at MidwayUSA, got mine for $33 apiece and they can be had in 8 round capacity or 7 rounds.Take good care of that 1911 and it will take care of you. Sorry about the length of reply, Take care, John.

P.S. I probably should change screen name, as I no longer own any Glocks, but probably won't.

#4 ·
congrats on the 1911. you can shoot someone in the thumb and they will be on the ground. I have one of those original military1911s that rattle when you shake it. The military ones just won't jam, drag it through the mud and it still won't jam. They are loose for a reason. I have a stainless ruger 1911 and it is tight, real tight. Like most things the modern versions are better than the originals certainly more accurate. Great gun, good choice.

mike

#5 ·
D.M Bullard. I have a dozen + of his holsters. I highly recommend his “bodyguard” holster for the 1911.

#6 ·
Good choice. I have the same pistol in its basic version, and it is well made, accurate, and reliable. The RIA guns are a lot of bang for the buck. For a range holster, I like a mid-ride plastic holster with a paddle for belt attachment. Makes for fast and easy re-holstering. For concealed carry, I like a good high ride leather pancake style, with a thumb break or strap between the cocked and locked hammer. Pictured is my RIA with a Kimber Custom Target for comparison.

Larry

Attachments

#7 ·
Well Buds Gun Shop just approved payment. I am awaiting the shipping info to my FFL for the transfer. Should have it in hand early next week.

#8 · (Edited)
good choice in a series 70. Newer Colts are series 80, and the only difference between the two is that the series 80 has an additional safety that lifts at the right rear of the frame, and is actuated by the grip safety. Have no idea why the Colt engineers added another safety since the 1911 has about 4 safeties before adding this extra one. Remove the extra one on the series 80 pistol and you are back to a series 70 1911. Takes some practice to get proficient with, but when someone or something gets hit with a .45 ACP round, it is like being hit by a train. The bullet is relatively slow, but it will drop about anything it hits. Congratulations on your purchase.

#9 ·
That sounds like a good purchase, the RIA 1911s are reliable and affordable. As to improvement tips - you have already gotten what you initially wanted, the beavertail grip safety and the bobbed or Commander hammer. I would suggest you shoot it a couple of hundred times, in any number of sessions, until you figure out what it may be that you feel needs improvement. If it is sights, good after market Nowak style are readily available and easily installed; if you want to look to closing up your groups then go for a tighter fitting barrel bushing before you do anything expensive, and trigger/sear/hammer combinations for improved let off and after travel are available all over. For leather, since you're not going to carry concealed, a nice USN mil-surp or new mil-spec holster for the 1911 makes for a very comfortable carry in the woods when you're out hunting. Just sayin'..

#10 ·
the ruger is built like the model 70. and one of the best 1911 you can buy now, it is probley the best for the money you can buy. got my start with my uncle bubba. he was in the battle of the bulge. he let me play with his when I was a puppy. not fire it, just go bang bang playing cowboy. then 1968 went in the army and got my own. no more play bang bang . some reason the 1911 just fit me and I can shoot them well. 100 yards I can hit man size target about 98% of the time. welcome to the 1911 crowd. the longer you have the the more you will like them. congrats.

#11 ·
I picked it up yesterday. It arrived on my birthday! Happy 52nd and here is your 1911! I think I will write my congressman to try and make that state law or something. "By statute, I decree, on your birthday a 1911 is free" Poetic, yes?

Anyway I have been looking at various holster. I have reviewed safarilands, Galcos, DM Bullards (very nice BTW), and then I cam across this one. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...shoulder-holster-right-hand-1911-russet-brown

Seems like a decent throw back holster for what I want. I don't know. Kinda cool really in a retro way and looks somewhat fairly practical for hunting and range use. However, I have been around long enough not be fooled by looks alone. Anyone have any real experience with this holster? For fitting reference I am tall, 6'3 and around 200 lbs. My main concern is that the holster rig stays in place once I have it where I like it... does the weight of the pistol cause it to shift on a chest rig?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.