Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup. I want a safari rifle on a budget. Terrible combination.

So for around or under 1500, what would be the top contender? What originally sparked my interest was the new Weatherby Vanguard. It should be right around 600, with a 1moa guarantee to boot!

Also looks like an old Whitworth, a Model 70, cz 550, and I'm sure others will be in the running. I know that the m70 won NRA rifle of the year, so that's something to consider. Chuck Hawks for whatever it's worth speaks highly of the Ruger, although in 375 ruger rather than H&H.

So should I go with my original interest and grab the Vanguard or look into something else?

While I have dreams of hunting Africa, it will probably have to wait till retirement (only 40 years to go!) so it will probably get carried around hunting public lands for whitetail and hogs.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
If the economy heads south. which I think may happen any minute, people will be dragging all sorts of stuff to shows, maybe trying to offload the cannon of your dreams. Everybody needs a big bore. Start saving now for your African hunt - you won't regret it. If you reload, you can tailor anything, even something with a four in front, for almost any kind of game. Maybe a bit overpowered for squirrels, but hey - you weren't using the head for anything, were you?

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I always wanted a .375 too. I picked up a used Ruger No-1 two years ago. It's a great shooting rifle. I killed 3 deer and a coyote with it this season using a hand loaded 250gr Sierra Gameking.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
ScreamingWeasle said:
Yup. I want a safari rifle on a budget. Terrible combination.

So for around or under 1500, what would be the top contender? What originally sparked my interest was the new Weatherby Vanguard. It should be right around 600, with a 1moa guarantee to boot!

Also looks like an old Whitworth, a Model 70, cz 550, and I'm sure others will be in the running. I know that the m70 won NRA rifle of the year, so that's something to consider. Chuck Hawks for whatever it's worth speaks highly of the Ruger, although in 375 ruger rather than H&H.

So should I go with my original interest and grab the Vanguard or look into something else?

While I have dreams of hunting Africa, it will probably have to wait till retirement (only 40 years to go!) so it will probably get carried around hunting public lands for whitetail and hogs.

I'd go with the Weatherby. I have a 378 Weatherby Magnum that doesn't have a 1 MOA guarantee that does a lot better than 1 MOA.

The 375 H&H Magnum is very flexible and, believe it or not, what ever load you choose for African plains game will also work on squirrels and rabbits! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
i think it was savage or mossburg can't remember
but i think it was under $400 for 375 ruger

i got a 375 ruger in howa for $400 a few years back
not an H&H ...but as close as you can get in a standard action length

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a browning x bolt stainless steel stalker they run about 950 for the rifle and come with nice iron sights and felt recoil is low due to whatever the recoil pad and stock design is on the rifle . It is pleasant to shoot . Ruger hawkeye in 375 ruger would be something to consider factory ammo is close to h-h prices . If your not going to hunt Africa look real hard at a 338 win mag they will work for anything in north America and ammo is cheaper than the 375 . 375 bore rifles are expensive to shoot even if you reload 270 gr hornady are about .50 each for projectiles only up closer to 1.00 per round for barnes or swifts cheapest factory 375 h&h out right now is privy partisan and its about $ 2.15 per shot if you reload you could consider sending a 30-06 or 270 win to jes reboring and get it punched out to 338-06 35 whelen or 375 whelen

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Talking 375, I've only ever owned a M70 as sold around year 2000, called a Safari Classic or something similar, I think. It was an outstanding rifle, controlled feed, went for about a grand back then. I've only just handled Weatherby's, been very impressed. I hunted with a synthetic stock on my 70, reason being my experience hunting with a Ruger Magnum in 416 Rigby - a wonderful toy but at 11 lbs, only good for hunting if you're built like Arnold S., wore me out so bad I botched the shot. Funny thing, with a Cape Buff in the sights, the synthetic-stock hot-load 375 had absolutely no felt recoil, and I honestly don't recall hearing it go off either.
Be aware, once you've done the 375 thing for a while, you will want something that starts with four.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
That kind of money will buy you one of the best...and a decent scope to boot. Go for a recent production (BACO) Safari Express. They sell for 1100 to 1200 online. I have one and love it! It has only been to Africa once, but more trips are on the horizon.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have wanted a 375 H & H for a lot of years now. I have absolutely no use for one. The 35 Whelen will take care of anything in the continental US. Besides, my back and neck are busted up enough. I have had to back down on my 45-70 loads to keep from torquing my back and making my neck any worse. So, I don't need the recoil, either. But, given all that, I still want one. Make mine a CZ or Ruger or maybe a Model 70 Winchester. Maybe one of these days.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
CDNN Sports has a Browning X-Bolt on sale for $829

......and lefty 375 Ruger M77's for $599

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a Sako in 375 H&H, and I totally regret selling it. Eventually I wound up getting a Ruger No. 1. $1500 should get you a No. 1 and nice 1-5x scope.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I've had Mod 700s (Classic and BDL SS) a couple of Whitworth Express and a Ruger #1 in the H&H. One Remington 700 reamed to 375 Weatherby. The best handling in the mountains elk hunting were the Remingtons. Light weight and fast, yet very easy to shoot, recoil about like a 12ga magnum. I've had bigger calibers too, from .404 Jeff, .416 Taylor, 416 Remington and a Rigby to 458 Lott. I've also used various 338 magnums ( from 338 WM to 340W to 338 RUM) and my little Mod 700 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. My Whelen with 250X and 200X did everything the 338s to 375s did in the field "on Plains game", from deer to elk sized and zebra, which are like shooting a stump, ha. I buffalo were on my bucket list, I'd go on up to the .404 Jeffrey....recoils like a 375 yet hits like a 458. Nothing wrong with the 416s...if you can hang onto them, ha.
For what you want, your choices are many and varied, but I would suggest the Vanguard in 375 H&H, The Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger, and the Ruger #1 in 375 H&H. No reason not to use any of them on hogs, deer, bear, moose, etc. The Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x62 or the synthetic stocked CZ 550 carbine in 9.3x62 are also sweethearts, and legal for buffalo in countries where they are most affordable too! Good luck to you Pard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would go with a controlled feed action. It is purely academic, as many, many thousands of Remingtons have been used successfully in Africa. But a dangerous game rifle calls out for controlled feed.
I have an early Ruger Alaskan with black stainless steel in .375 Ruger. I also like the CZ.
New and used brass is much easier to come by in .375 H&H.

deepwater

·
Registered
196 Posts
Darkgael said:
If you do not mind a single shot, buy a Thompson Center Encore and a .375 H&H barrel for it (with muzzle brake).
Pete
i shoot an encore in 375h&h(no brake) and it is very accurate! i love the caliber. i have not started working up loads for it as i bought 6 boxes of federal cape shock when i got the barrel and still have 2 boxes left. when i get a chance to straighten out the man cave i will start working up some loads. the cape shock i am shooting are 300g barnes hp and they are extremely accurate (sub m.o.a)

·
Registered
693 Posts
i have used a cz 550 in .375 H&H on four african hunts and it worked on a small dikker to a large elan with many other in between sized animals. eastbank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
I don't see how you would beat the CZ, as eastbank has illustrated, if you want to stay with the 375H&H.
I I went with 375Ruger, it would be the new Hawkeye.
I would not look elsewhere if it were me.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
''nobody NEEDS a 375''

they have no sporting purpose other than to kill endangered beast

1 - 20 of 45 Posts