Graybeard Outdoors banner

I Finally Got One!

906 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  catblaster.375 
#1 ·
I have been asking a lot of question and have been around the 1911 forum a lot lately. And finally I purchased my first 1911. I got a Springfield GI .45 Stainless. I got a great deal on it. I paid $439 for it new in the box. I love shooting it too, 100 rounds of 230gr UMC FMJ and not a single malfuntion. I was trying real hard too make it jam too, I was limp risting it like when Tom Hanks was shooting the tank in Saving Private Ryan(great movie). And still no jams! It seems too shoot real accurate except it shoots about 6-8 inches to the left at 15 yards! Is there anyway to fix this problem without having to knock the sight around in the dovetail? But all in all it is a great gun.

#2 ·
Finally got one!

Well, I guess you could hold a little to the right of where you want the bullet to go, but why don't you want to drift the rear sight? I damn sure would want to get my gun shooting to point of aim, especially if I ever expected to encounter a life or death situation! If it's him or me, I'm gonna make sure it's him & NOT me! Getting my gun to shoot point of aim is VITAL to this result, make no mistake about it. jd45

#3 ·
thanks
I just don't want to be pounding on my awsome gun and I like the look of the sight in the middle.
I have been holding to the right and the bullet goes right where I want it to. I also have gotten EXTREMLY good at instinct shooting ol' slabsides. Good enought to put them where they count in a defensive situation. I cant alighn the tiny sight very fast anyway.

#4 ·
It seems too shoot real accurate except it shoots about 6-8 inches to the left at 15 yards!
First off, how accurate does it shoot at 12 or 25 feet. Im not testing you, but, Im guessing if it shoots bulls-eyes at 12-25 feet it will at 45 feet. All my guns do. Proper trigger pull and grip, plus stance is a lot more important at 45 feet then it is at 12 feet. If you can see/hit bulls-eyes at 12 feet you can do it at 45 feet with no modification to the sights.

I did this with a Sig P226. I started out at 12 feet and worked out to 79 feet. I shoot about 100 rounds at this target. I did not modifiy the sights in any way, shape, or form.

Dave.

#5 ·
Make sure you are gripping the pistol with the barrel in line with your wrist and forearm. Sounds like you may be gripping the gun with your wrist slightly to the right which will cause the gun to shoot 4 to 6" left. I have small hands and if a gun has a long trigger, (which I always change to a short one) I tend to slide around the grip a little if I don't watch myself. If the sights are in the middle of the slide, they are probably where they should be, try changing your grip. Glad you like that gun. 44 Man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.