Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and BOY was it a BOOMER! [/color]:biggun:

I have it in the new Winchester Classic Stainless with open sights. I took it to the range on Saturday and used PMC ammo - specifically the 300 grain [/color]Barnes X ammo.

I also replaced the cheap stock with a McMillan stock. The trigger is still stock, but I plan on having it brought down to 3.5 pounds with a good trigger job. (All of my other rifles have pulls anywhere from 2 1/4 to 3 lbs. But since the .375 is a big gun that I expect to take to Alaska and/or Africa some day, 3.5 lbs is about as low as I want to go.)

The more immediate use of this rifle (believe it or not) will be for use on hogs - big ones! I just got sick and tired of having hogs run and/or charge after being shot. I figure that, even with a well placed shot - if that dang hog doesn't drop in its tracks with a .375, then I just may have to seriously consider the .458 Win. Mag! :eek:

As for shooting, let me tell you right off the bat that I plan on mounting a scope on it. GB convinced me to get a low powered scope for dangerous game - or else risk myself getting killed. Before I get a scope, though, I wanted to see how bad it kicked so that I could estimate the necessary eye relief.

Let me tell you, I would love to have 2 FEET [/color]of eye relief if I could find such a scope. THAT GUN JUST KICKS LIKE A MULE - AND, it does so even with the Pachmayer Decelerator pad.

The open sights on that gun are just pathetic in my opinion. I'm sure that they will be useful for dangerous game when up really close, but, like I said, I will mount a scope to it (with detachable mounts.)

As for groups, considering that I was flinching a bit, and that the open sights are really not that great, and that the target was black (like the sights), I was able to manage 1.5" groups at 50 yards. Not too terribly bad. I'm sure that when I mount a scope to it that the groups will shrink and that I should probably get 1.5" at 100 yards. I don't plan on shooting hogs, or any other game, past 100 yards anyway.

I'd say that the kick was about 2 TIMES the kick from a .30-06. I was thinking about getting a muzzle brake, but I think that I'm going to pass on getting one for this rifle. Still, I wasn't too comfortable shooting a lot of shells in this big gun. I shot it 6 times and thought that was enough (or at least that's what my shoulder was telling me - well, that and "hey Zachary, next time do you think that you can wear something more than just a T-shirt?" :-D )

Have any of you ever shot a .375 H&H?

Zachary

·
Registered
481 Posts
Once ya get used to the recoil, they ain't too bad. Bench work is always tougher. I could handle a dozen or so with my #1 Ruger before the migraine started. In the field, with an adrenalin rush, you'll never feel it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You might see if Williams or Lyman make a peep sight that will fit without d&t'ing. I have a Williams FP setup on my 1886 45-70EL, and you can't beat the eye relief. You can also shoot pretty good with peep sights, if you practice a little.

Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
Open Sights: 375 H & H

I would not put on a peep sight. !.5" at 50 yards isn't bad. Get a 1.75 X 6 scope (with a good field of view). I would get either a Leupold or Pentax (they both have good eye relief).

It sounds like a good "squirrel gun"! It will make them think twice before charging!

Just don't bench that 375 too much, and you will be able to appreciate it for what it is, a big boomer.

When you shoot it, does it go "boom" or does it have the higher pitched "whang"? :twisted:

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at the new Burris 1.75x - 5x - 32mm Illuminated LRS. It has 3.8 to 4.6 inches of eye relief, plus, I'm a sucker for illuminated reticles.

I decided not to get the Elite 4200 or 3200 just because of the short eye relief - 3.0 to 3.3 inches - way too short for a .375 H&H. I love my Elites, but not on that big boomer.

As for peep sights - I have never used them, but think that they would do me more harm than good. Can you imagine a 300 pound hog charging at me and I'm trying to look through a little peep sight? I'd just as soon run like heck! :bye:

Does anyone make those Hi-Viz or True-Glow sights for that rifle? Would they be precise enough or are those sights just for turkey guns and handguns?

Any thoughts?

Zachary

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Zachary said:
I was looking at the new Burris 1.75x - 5x - 32mm Illuminated LRS. It has 3.8 to 4.6 inches of eye relief, plus, I'm a sucker for illuminated reticles.

I decided not to get the Elite 4200 or 3200 just because of the short eye relief - 3.0 to 3.3 inches - way too short for a .375 H&H. I love my Elites, but not on that big boomer.

As for peep sights - I have never used them, but think that they would do me more harm than good. Can you imagine a 300 pound hog charging at me and I'm trying to look through a little peep sight? I'd just as soon run like heck! :bye:

Does anyone make those Hi-Viz or True-Glow sights for that rifle? Would they be precise enough or are those sights just for turkey guns and handguns?

Any thoughts?

Zachary
The fiber-optic sights are used on muzzle loaders....standard equipment every day Zach! I prefer to keep the red fiber-optic front sight and go with a hunting (as in large dia. opening) peep sight/ghost sight for the rear sight. You really don't have to "learn to use peep sights, your eye will naturally take to it.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about that Savage, but I guess you quickly found out that I am not a muzzle loader shooter :oops: (or at least not yet. :wink: )

Zachary

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Zachary said:
Sorry about that Savage, but I guess you quickly found out that I am not a muzzle loader shooter :oops: (or at least not yet. :wink: )

Zachary
Ah Hah.........Perhaps we might be able to convince you to join our ranks???? I believe I heard you were looking for something to hunt large hogs with? Have you considered a 50 cal. muzzle loader....something in 1:28 twist that could knock down a hog in one BIG cloud of blue smoke....Hah?

P.S. Remington make a nice model700 in a front loader.

Jim

·
Registered
300 Posts
Zachary: I know what you mean about wanting two feet of eye relief. Having been whacked in the forehead by a .375 H&H I have very strong personal feelings on the issue. I have found that Leupold scopes have good eye relief On my last .375 H&H I had a Leupold 3x and it was fine. They don't make a 3x anymore, but they do list a 2.5x which I believe would be ok too. I also used my Vari-plex II 3x9 variable on my .375 H&H and it was ok too. It seemed to have as much eye relief as the 3x.

As far as recoil goes, I think you might be better off with a fairly substantial lamiinated stock on the .375. Personally I found the .375 less oppressive than the .338 Win. Most of the .375's I've used were heavier and had "meatier" more substatial stocks. By contrast, the .338's typically use the same size barrel as the .7mm Rem/300 mag's and the same stocks as used on the regular calibers.

Good luck with your .375 H&H. I'm sure it will work will on hogs or anything else you use it on.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Zachary,

I installed Burris Safari scopes on all of my big bores. Two .375 H&H's, on .375 Weatherby and my .416 Rigby. Thinking about putting one on my .450 Rigby when the stock gets finished. They work and have enough eye relief so you're not "eating the scope" on recoil. Forget the brake. I installed mercury recoil inserts in all of my big kickers AND THEY WORK. I go through 30 to 40 rounds off the bench with my .416 Rigby without headaches or any other troubles. My wife shoots full loads in her .375 H&H and all that I did was to make sure the stock fit her and that it had a good Decelerator recoil pad and the mercury insert. As far as open sights go I got them on all of the big bores. Express hooded ramp front and two leaf rear that I had my gunsmith install. Rifles are stocked for open sight use. Lawdog

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mercury inserts? I have heard about these as an option on Benelli shotguns, but not as an aftermarket option on rifles. Can they be placed in a McMillan stock?

Zachary

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm with you

Zack I aquired the same rifle (70 SS classic) about 3 weeks ago and I hear (read feel) you about recoil. I am just about finished with a safari grade walnut stock for mine to get rid of the ugly plastic. Have been working on my sholder, first time 5 shots, second time 8, last time 10. I have found that if I take my 06 and shoot it first it kind of warms me up a little. I would love to here about these mercury jobs though. How do they work, where are they installed in the stock, can I do it myself, etc.. I figer if it walks away from 4000 lbft of energy than it wins.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, I figured about the same. :-D

I don't know about the Mercury inserts. I'm hoping that someone will post about it more in detail.

Zachary

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mercury inserts are used a lot in shotgun stocks, specifically trap guns, where the shooter might get pounded by 200-300 shots per day. Anyway, the basic idea is a cylinder of mercury, with an internal baffle between two chambers. As the gun recoils, the mercury wants to flow forward, but can't, due to the restriction thru the baffle. The mercury does exert a force forward, against the baffle, thus negating some portion of the recoil. Mercury is used because it's heavy. I have one in my trap gun. All that said, my belief is that they reduce recoil more due to their weight then anything else. Being heavy, they will screw up the balance of your rifle. They fit in the holes counterbored in your buttstock. If you want to try something similar without buying anything, take the recoil pad off and fill the hole(s) with lead shot, then put the pad back on. You will see how the balance is affected, as well as how much the recoil is reduced. My guess is you won't like the balance or the weight.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tom,

I didn't realize that these inserts were so heavy. I don't mind having a relatively heavy rifle - especially in a hard kicking rifle like the .375, but I DO mind having the gun be significantly off balance.

Zachary

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Zachary,

Actually the inserts are not that heavy. For one thing you have to remove some of the wood from the butt stock. For another I find most rifles .375 H&H and larger to be barrel heavy. In the Ruger and Winchester rifles I have them in they actually helped improve the balance of the rifle. I use the C&H Research brand of inserts and the following is a take on that brand with a listing of their models and weights. As far as mounting one in a plastic stock I have no idea as I don't own a rifle with a plastic stock.

C&H RESEARCH

MERCURY RECOIL SUPPRESSOR
Uses Inertia To Absorb Painful Recoil

Helps counteract the painful effects of recoil using mercury, one of the heaviest, densest, liquid elements. Compact, permanently-sealed, steel case is made from bar stock; the only moving part is the liquid mercury so there's no wear, no chance of leaks. Mercury's viscosity varies only 1% from 0° F. to 90° F. which means the recoil-fighting performance is consistent in almost all weather conditions. Stock Models fit in rifle or shotgun stocks and are drilled and tapped ¼"-28 tpi for easy installation and removal. Clamp-On models include a sturdy, black anodized, non-marking, aluminum clamp for instant installation onto barrels .780" to .950" in diameter. Chamber model is attached to a 12 gauge chamber snap cap and drops into the unused barrel of an O/U when shooting singles. Magazine Tube fits into the 4-round magazine tube of a pump or semi-auto shotgun. Replaces the migratory bird plug. Includes nylon spring seat adapters for 12 gauge guns, also fits 20 gauge shotguns with adapters removed. Benelli Super - Replaces magazine cap. Benelli Montefeltro - Threads onto the bolt extending from front of magazine. Beretta 303 - Replaces the magazine cap on AL-2, 301, 302 and 303 Beretta semi-automatic shotguns. Beretta 390 and 391 - Replaces the magazine cap.

T-Handle - Makes it really easy to install and remove all stock models.

SPECS: Machined, stainless steel tubes.
Short Stock - 3" - 3" (7.6cm) x .875" (22mm) dia., 8 oz. (227 g) wt.
Standard Stock - 4" - 4" (10cm) x .875" dia., 11 oz. (312 g) wt.
Standard Stock - 5" - 5" (12.7cm) x .750" (19mm) dia., 11 oz. wt. **
Clamp-On 6 oz. - 2" (5cm) long x .750" dia., 6 oz. (170 g) wt.
Clamp-On 8 oz. - 3" long x .750" dia., 8 oz. (227 g) wt.
Chamber - 5" long x .750" dia., 11 oz. wt. Magazine Tube - 5" (12.7cm) long x .750" (19mm) dia., 11 oz. wt.
Benelli Super - Flat black finish, fits Super Black Eagle and M1 Super 90, 4½" (11.4cm) long, 8½" oz. (241 g) wt.
Benelli Montefeltro - Flat black finish, fits Montefeltro, Legacy, Sport, Competition. 4" (10cm) long, 8 oz. (227 g) wt.
Beretta 303 - 3¼" (8.2cm) long x .760" (2cm), 7 oz. (198 g) wt.
Beretta 390 - 3.6" (9.1cm) long x .49" (1.24cm). 8.2 oz. (232 g) wt.
Beretta 391 - 4" (10.1cm) long x .750" (19mm) dia. 8.4 oz. (234 g).

T-Handle - Aluminum handle, stainless steel shaft. ¼" -28 threads, 3.25" (8.2cm) x 6" (15.2cm).**

Stock No. Product Price
163-100-004 Short Stock Recoil Suppressor $47.50
163-100-002 Standard Stock 4" Recoil Suppressor $47.50**
163-000-001 Benelli Super Recoil Suppressor $65.00
163-000-002 Benelli Montefeltro Recoil Suppressor $65.00
163-101-006 Clamp-On 6 oz. Recoil Suppressor $55.00
163-101-008 Clamp-On 8 oz. Recoil Suppressor $55.00
163-100-003 Chamber Recoil Suppressor $47.50
163-100-001 Magazine Tube 5" Recoil Supressor $47.50
163-100-006 Beretta 303 Recoil Suppressor $55.00
163-100-007 Beretta 390 Recoil Suppressor $55.00
163-000-003 Beretta 391 Recoil Suppressor $55.00
163-100-000 T Handle $7.50**

** = Denotes Purchased Model

·
Registered
48 Posts
mercury recoil reducers

how critical is the installation of these? should they be installed as high in the buttstock as possible (as close to inline with the barrel) or centered in the stock? I see that they appear to be threded I would assume that the hole needs to be tapped? How far in are they installed? as far as possible or once again centered?
thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I finally shot my .375 H&H

The cheapest way to shoot these rifles on a bench without adding anything to the rifle is to get a 25 pound bag of lead shot, the ones that are used to reload shotgun shells. Put it between the butt stock of your rifle and your shoulder. I use one for shooting my .460 Weatherby on the bench, and can shoot as many rounds as I want and don't develop a flinch from recoil. You could shoot all day long if you wanted to. When it comes time to pulling the trigger on an animal the recoil of the rifle will not be in the back of your mind, causing you to jerk the trigger. You will concentrate on the shot not the recoil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Zachary, Congratulation on your 375. That is the next rifle on my long list of gotta haves. Once you get it sighted in and the bench work over with recoil will not be bad at all practicing from field positions. On the bright side, after several range sessions with my 416 all of my smaller rifles gave up on trying to make me flinch and just don't even seem to bother recoiling any more :)

As for a scope, I recmend Leupold. They have great eye relief, (even better than listed) plus the lifetime warranty that I have never had to use but have only heard good things from those that have sent scopes back to Leupold for repair. The size scope would depend on what you are planning to use the rifle for and your personal preference but a 6x would probably be my first choice and concidering the 375's capabilities a 3x9 would not be out of place atop such a rifle.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Zachary

I have owned and shot a 375 H&H mine was a ruger #1 i found recoil was manageble to around 30 rounds aftr that id rathe be in the boxing ring i grew up shooting new england or H&R topper 12 gueage and i still say one of those 12 loaded with a 3 inch slug is the worst pain i have experienced
for a scope i put a leupold 2-7 on mine and thye eye relief was fine no black eyes or cuts lol but then again i shot remington 270 r core lokts also.
now for the one shot ion hogs killed 5 that i remeber 3 dropped in there tracks 2 ran off about 30 yards all were shoulder shots through tuff gristle and bone. so to be honest id rther hut with my marlin 30-3 as on the big ones i have had more one shot ills with the wimpy 30-3 than my 375 the difference was that the 375 blew clean through them.
dont get me wrong what changed my mind about using lesser calibers was when i was enlightened by 2 old timeers who carried beat p old 22 s with rust on them to kill big hogs i tod the tey were smokig crack and i wansnt huntn with them until they at least go an 06 they said go wait in the truck about a 2 mile hike bCK SO I DECIDED TO GO. THSE GUYS WOODMANSHIP WAS INCREIBLE AND BOTH TOOK 2 DECENT HOGS with 2 rifel bullets to he neck. if ya ever cme to east exas ook me Ill take ya to some of the thickest roughest land to hunt on and introduce ya t some peple who can flat out hunt he econmy is horrile here and these people urvive on these hogs
just some freindly advice from a guy who has shot hogs and deer with a 375 because i listened to people telling me my lower caliers were not enogh. my 30-30 will kill what ever i decide to hunt within reasonable range as long as i put my shot into the vitals and have a good clean shot i never shoot at walking game or disturbed game unless beig charged it takes toins of discipine but if i can do it i know you can so grab your Tikka 243 ave faith in it practice with it and i bet your 1 shot drops will increase good luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts