Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my shooting career with shotguns and moved away from them for some reason, but now I am being drawn back to them.
Last week I took the 870 I recently traded into and also the H&R that I had cut to 18.5" and threaded for choke tubes. I put modified tubes in both guns. At 25 yards both kept a wicked little pattern with 0/0 buck. I had a bunch of cheap Winchester shells. The pattern was a little big with both. It spread out to cover the entire torso on a IDPA target. I didn't see any big holes in the patterns though. Wednesday I am going back out with the slugs and Remington Express high brass shells and turkey shells that I forgot at home last week. I might try a pattern at 50 yards. Recoil wasn't bad on the H&R which is now very light because of the mods I did. I thought game loads had a harder shove than the buck did.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I agree they are fun and pratical, you can shoot clays for practice, hunt small game, use for defence, big game with slugs. easy to reload. just all around fun

Recoil wasn't bad on the H&R which is now very light because of the mods

if you want recoil try a 3 1/2 turkey load, most of us who have them still had 4 in the box

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i agree. due to .22 ammo shortage where i live, i used my rem 870 20 gauge exclusively last small game season.
it did all i asked of it, and i didnt miss a shot. a quick change of shells or choke and i taylored it for whatever game or situation i was going for. even had thoughts of using it for deer season too.

its hard to go wrong with a good shotgun in your hands

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Wow Scibaer, you still have a .22 shortage where you live? It is everywhere in Virginia, lots and lots of it.

I agree, nothing more fun than a shotgun, especially if you have a field to shoot in, so that a friend can hand-throw clay birds, instead of fooling with a gun range or skeet game.

Mannyrock

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.