Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back in 2010 i sold off most of my guns. i reduced my collection to just some primary hunting guns.
i sold off all of my H&R's / NEF's .. or so i thought
i was in my storage unit last nite, digging out some gear for this years hunting season..
well i open a shotgun case and there was a NEF reciever ! :eek: ...

i have a NEF SB1 1991 ( NF ) shotgun case hardened frame attached to a pallet wood stock with an ugly pattern ..
the case hardened pattern is really nice... hammer, trigger and latch are great..

i spent some time last night, looking thru the stickys. i have some choices to make ..

should i just sell it ? put a shotgun barrel on it ? get a 44mag or 357mag barrel for it ? something custom ?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I thought the rule was sell it to the 2nd person who posted. ;D ;D ;D Just kidding, if you don't have a muzzle loader get the Huntsman barrel, otherwise, I would choose the 357Mag, 45-70, 44Mag in that order.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well. i had a couple of mzl's but sold em.. and bought different one's ;D ..not necessarily better though.

i had ideas of making a shorty 44 mag with it ( thats likely why i dont have a barrel for it and the ugly pallet wood stock ) as a project .. but i cant say for sure

but, i just did spend some money on new traps and trapping gear.. so i cant get to spendy or momma will start taking deep breaths and grinding her teeth ...

so ... ;D

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
You said shotgun. Is that because it's case colored or because it's a large firing pin. Being a 91 I suspect large pin.

I would include 30/30, 22 hornet, 45/70, 357 MAX as well as 357 & 44 mag as you mentioned. Not to mention 410, 20, 16 & 12 ga as well as rifled versions in 20 & 12 ga. Fitting is gonna be up to you, most can be fit but not all and that number is directly related to your skill level fitting them. Many of the guys who buy barrels randomly have a couple receivers to fit the barrels to.

If you choose to sell, it's not gonna net you much so don't count on big $$. Last couple I sold @ 40-50$.

CW

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
jmho
i'd be on the hunt for a shotgun barrel.
one can never have too many "spare"
h&r/nef shotguns. be a good one to
keep broke down in the car for j.i.c.
times. you won't miss using it regularly.
you already weren't even aware you had
it, so you surely won't miss it if it's kept stashed

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Large firing pins = shotgun barrels
Small firing pins = pistol and low pressure rifle barrels

This is generally how I determine barrel suitability for SB1 receivers.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, it came that way, when i bought it from the store .. i only had two with case coloring, one i used for a huntsman and this one.. was a 20 gauge..
referencing the pics in the FAQ's its the small shotgun firing pin .. i could post a pic , if wanted
thats why i kept it , thinking it would make a better rifle receiver than the large pin

and , if i read right, any rifle cartridge that i keep under 40k psi would really be ok ..

fitting a barrel will not be a problem for me . nope wasnt looking to make a big chunk of cash.. if i do sell , id ask a fair price.. it just might be more of a project that i want to take on.. i got other irons in the fire.. and helping out someone here keep thier addiction going ;D

i do know a guy who has a NEF for sale .. its a shotgun with rifle sights.. it looks all original to me, not sure.. that i might want

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Scibaer said:
well. i had a couple of mzl's but sold em.. and bought different one's ;D ..not necessarily better though.

i had ideas of making a shorty 44 mag with it ( thats likely why i dont have a barrel for it and the ugly pallet wood stock ) as a project .. but i cant say for sure

but, i just did spend some money on new traps and trapping gear.. so i cant get to spendy or momma will start taking deep breaths and grinding her teeth ...

so ... ;D
You had a couple of muzzle loaders, but not a Huntsman barrel, with the unmentionable BP, you can do wonders. Think along the lines of Savage smokeless. For further info, check out the Huntsman and Sidekick Muzzleloaders section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.