Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long strange trip but finally got a rifle I've been looking for since last winter, or at least a commitment to buy it. I went through a bunch of other Handi's and TC's hoping to trade into one but I don't have a lot of patience when it comes to guns and money. So now I wait for it and hope that it makes me as happy as expected. I have really wanted a .357 mag or maxi but this 45LC has been at the top of my list as well and they both seem to very hard to find.
Lots of you guys have both, which do you prefer and why? I hand load all my ammo and will probably only use it at the range and occasionally for deer just to say that I have.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
smong2000 said:
It's been a long strange trip but finally got a rifle I've been looking for since last winter, or at least a commitment to buy it. I went through a bunch of other Handi's and TC's hoping to trade into one but I don't have a lot of patience when it comes to guns and money. So now I wait for it and hope that it makes me as happy as expected. I have really wanted a .357 mag or maxi but this 45LC has been at the top of my list as well and they both seem to very hard to find.
Lots of you guys have both, which do you prefer and why? I hand load all my ammo and will probably only use it at the range and occasionally for deer just to say that I have.
rechamber it to .460s/w ... and get its full potential............. ;D

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I went 454 with mine. 8) 8) To me the 460 did nothing my 45-70 couldn't and I already have 6 of them. ::)

Good luck with yours!!

CW

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
but the .460 makes a very fine complement to the 45/70.
I've did several .454's and @65k pressures for performance.....I will pass ::)

·
Registered
469 Posts
SMONG2000,

I had a similar journey. Actually I gave up a couple times. But patience and clearing out items to make room for it payed off with 2. With a few modifications, this quickly became my favorite Handi. I have both and would gladly trade a 357 for a 45 Colt.

Cut to 18
Filled in the dovetail
Parkerized
Added XS Sights with a medium Skinner insert

The targets are from 25 yards and I can see the holes when they cut. Thats two groups...one to verify zero after parkerizing and the second is a windage and elevation adjustment.

Im sure that you will like it. I have been tempted to get either of them reamed but decided not to for now. This did motivate me to start loading 45 as well (thanks to LT Dave).

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gentlemen, I just ordered some dies for 45LC and guessing that they could be used for .460 or .454 but will cross that bridge when and if I get to it. This one may stay unmodified for a while or not...let's see how it goes. I have a Williams peep sight ready to mount and possibly a 1-4X scope depending on how I can shoot it open sights. Now to do my homework on loads for it, maybe some factory to start with for the brass.
For those who have reamed one to longer cartridge, have you shot it with 45LC after and how was accuracy? I did a Contender 30-30 to AI and both rounds are right around moa but the oal didn't change so not the best comparison.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Mine shot well as a LC. I had worked up a good load in the Ruger level pressure range. After reaming, that loading did not shoot very well, BUT others I have discovered have been just as good accuracy wise.

Jon brings up a good point, the 454 is a HI PRESSURE caliber, its within safe numbers as the 270 is about the same but with a smaller head area. BUT, as a hand loader, you can load them where you like them. I haven't ever fired a factory 454 thru any of my 454's. :) For me its a safer bet as I have a couple dozen 45LC handguns and rifles that won't handle even the Ruger level reloads. (25-30K) So NOT loading anything that hot in a LC case is peace of mind for me. I changed allot of such thinking after my brush with death a few years back. :eek: Now, I try not to do things that might catch others, where I not around to explain what and why I did what I did.

My 454 loads are warm but just above Ruger level loads, I'm gonna guess 40-45 K pressure. They shoot well, it don't beat you up and surpasses what I felt comfortable loading the 45LC too. Plus its small rifle primer pocket making better of the large amounts of ball powders the cartridge prefers.

Anyhow, most times accuracy will increase with a re chamber especially if you use a RIFLE reamer as most times these pistol calibers are chambered with a pistol reamer that dosen't have the support of the longer rifle reamer.

CW

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I like the .45 Colt over the .357 Max but they are both great calibers. The .45 Colt is about as cool as it gets in my book.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
My .45 Colt is staying a .45. I like it where it is. It's an old time cartridge and I have a thing for them. I have two .45-70s, a .445 and three Maxis so I don't need or want a .454 or .460. The .44 mag and Colt were so close to each other I decided to ream the .44 to .445. It fits right in there. I call it "My .45-70 Short." It's more than the .45 and less than the .45-70.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I love my .45 colt. As a packing partner with my .45 colt Blackhawk, however I don't have it on carbine wood any more. I like the thumbhole stock too well. I fought so hard to find a good .45 colt chamber requiring (2) being returned and fighting it out with Davidson's and H&R, I'm not messing with mine. I also use downloaded .45-70 if I want to get into heavier loads and with the accuracy I get from mine, it's a keeper. ;) I load Hornady 300 Magnum XTP Bullets over a high ruger book load of H110 and it'll drop anything in N. America based on performance. With the standard 250 gr. XTP's I get great accuracy over 11 gr. Unique and it is a great pistol/rifle load for both my guns. The H110 loads are a bit hotter in the pistol than I like to shoot, but it can be done. I also loaded a lot with Reloader7 and have had excellent luck on deer with them. Enjoy your .45 Colt. ;)

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Mine now wears a 357 Maxi bbl most of the time, not because its any better than a heavy 45 colt, but because both of my boys like shooting the maxi, so I needed two. Ive got to admit though the BCC furniture looks good with the maxi bbl on it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up the BC 45 colt today and here are my 1st impressions. ..It looks unfired although the seller says he fired 1/2 box through it. The walnut is much nicer than I expected, good grain and nice checkering, Metal on mine is typical H&R roughness, good bluing and decent case hardening color. It locks up tight with no visible frame to barrel gap and uniform latch contact. Very nice feeling and handling little carbine. Now the bad...sights are simply awful, I don't think that I can hit anything with them. Looks like it may have had a peep on it at one time because there are faint marks around one of the mounting holes. My peep won't fit it due to screw spacing so that's not an option. Ammo pricing was a real shocker, I bought the dies but even brass around here was very expensive and bullets are 20 to 45 cents a pop. Guess I need to rethink this choice after I go through the 1/2 box of ammo I have - maybe just a little buyers remorse at the moment. :'(

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Well,
I think if you give it a chance, watch for deals and buy used components and lead or cast your own bullets you will learn why this cartridge is still a top seller almost 150 years since it was introduced. :)

I can help you with cases if you need some.

IF NOT and you decide to sell, I think you will find many here willing to take it off your hands right quickly.

CW

·
Registered
469 Posts
If the peep sight fits flush...try it with one screw and a tiny bit of epoxy or superglue to keep it on. Or buy a Skinner. It will work with no other mods. It's low profile enough to accommodate front sight height. Bought my dies on EBay for cheap. Brass was from a pile of loaded ammo that I shot. Cast lead bullets at 18 BHN should handle everything you can safely load.

Hope it grows on you. Mine are now my favorite Handis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts