Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was foggy this morning, but i went out to do some sitting in the woods, hoping to see a few squirrels.
i heard a black sq chirping away and stalked up on him.. pop from my marlin model 60 .. one in the bag.
i sat on a stump, not far from where i will set my pop up blind for deer season, close to a swampy area
got comfortable and waited for more sq's and then i heard it.. a cry/growl sound from off to my left
it was loud and not to far away. i wasnt sure what i was hearing so i just relaxed and listened
again i heard it.. but it sounded closer this time and it lasted longer
it had my interest for sure.. i didnt know if it was a bobcat or coyote.. didnt really sounds like a coyote though.

i couple of bluejays came in, sqawking away like they do and the cry / growling stopped..
i never saw it , and didnt hear it again. just the jays

i dont know what else it could have been, im honestly thinking bobcat

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I don't know where you are, but coins have a unbelievable vocabulary and have spooked me more than a few times. They get your mind thinking... Each time I allowed my senses to examine all and all but a few it's either been coins or unexplained. Meaning what ever it was it went out of site.

CW

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
cwlongshot said:
I don't know where you are, but coins have a unbelievable vocabulary and have spooked me more than a few times. They get your mind thinking... Each time I allowed my senses to examine all and all but a few it's either been coins or unexplained. Meaning what ever it was it went out of site.

CW

Mocking birds can do that so can crows. We have a mocking bird around here in our yard that learned how to ring like a telephone. It kept doing that making us go grab the phone. And I've seen crows that have figured out how to bark like a dog.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i doubt it was a cougar, we have them but they are far north of here.

i cant say for dead sure it wasnt a cougar, but we dont have them around here .. that i know of.

yeah, when the jays came in and started squawking this thing was gone.

it was close though, on the second growl .. just to many leaves on the trees and brush to see it

i bet it was within 25 yards of me

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
BIGFOOT for sure.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Boy o boy we have lots of Cougars we call them mountain lions. Ive had them jump the fence and get into the yard. Or try to get under the house going after bunnies. Usually just yelling at them does the trick.
But some have been rouge and the state had to call in hunter/ trackers to kill them.
But they are some big kitties.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Sheridan I've got a German made Beeman in 5mm. I try to tell people the 5mm is a much better round than a 177. It's what I use around here for bad critters and it works as good as a 22lr on them.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Bobcats have a very deep guttural sound that makes the skin crawl and although not loud it can carry a long distance. When you hear one, especially at night, you'll remember it forever I assure you.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Too bad Scibaer didn't kill the cougar. Cougar steak, yummy! You know I mean the 4-legged Cougar right? The 2- legged Cougar is toxic waste!

I knew they would come looking for you Scibaer, you know to much now they have to kill you. ;D
I hope you didn't have some beef jerky with you ::)

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i listened to some bobcat calls on that site.. what i heard wasnt a bobcat, it sounded most like that fox call.

if it was a bigfoot id want it to attack me, so i could kill it then and all my gbo friends would get to see it free of charge. ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
cwlongshot said:

CW
I agree, ***** can make quite a variety of noises.. Wish i had the video of one going after my cousin a few years ago, was pretty funny after the fact.. sounded like he had a heard of aliens after him.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
It still sounds like a cougar, they can even make this howling noise that sounds like a cry. Grunting noises that sound like a feral hog. Hunters think they have a hog cornered then a cougar jumps out, they usually soil themselves lol.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Argent11 said:
Sheridan I've got a German made Beeman in 5mm. I try to tell people the 5mm is a much better round than a 177. It's what I use around here for bad critters and it works as good as a 22lr on them.
Most 5mm pellets are quite a bit beefier than most .177's.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Those Bow hunters can sure tell you this stuff. They sneak around in camo not making a sound.
They talk about all kinds of things they have seen and heard. One said he was within 20 feet of a couger who didn't know he was there.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Sheridan5mm said:
Argent11 said:
Most 5mm pellets are quite a bit beefier than most .177's.

More accurate to, I can do a penny size group with mine using peep sights at 20 yards. Killed bunnies with it at 50.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I can barely see a penny at 20 yards, but I can hit a bunny.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts