Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got such a sweet deal on a SB-2 Ultra 35

:-D Well they didn't have any more than the one I got. :-D

Now comes the fun of shooting this new rifle. The scope I put on it is a Simmons 3x9x32 that came with a 30-06 Winchester mod 70 years ago, just saved it for something else. It is not what I want to be using all the time but will work for now. It should hold up to the recoil.

I also put a Harris Bi-pod on as well.

Beautiful rifle, laminated stock cinnamon brown with recoil pad. Just never have owned a 35 Whelen rifle before and had heard that they are real good shooters with great knock-down :twisted:

I also like the fact that other barrels can be purchased thru H&R 1871 for this rifle. 25-06, 223 Bull Barrel, .308 Cal, Oh the list goes on.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I havent shot one...

...but I have certainly done some drooling over the ballistics and re-loading charts. A knecked-out 30-06...but yet, outperforms the 30-06 in every way. And an easy conversion on a 1917 Remington. I have two of those and have gone back and forth about re-chambering one to this cartridge.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Montanan-

Congrats! I'm sure it will quickly become one of your favorites. With that Harris Bipod and a good 225 grn bullet that rig ought to prove to be great medicine for deer and elk.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

:grin: I have been grinning about the very thought of how this will do. I think it will show a nice place along with my 45-70, 45-90 rifles as well. And when I found this in a single shot rifle I was very pleased.

I just love them single shot rifles.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The 35 Whelen was sitting in a pawn shop. I asked the guy how they got it and as I figured some guy didn't pay his intrest after 2 mo. So it went on the shelf, and had only been sitting there a couple of days :eek:

So I got real lucky with this one. And the added bonus is that it is a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Commorative Edition. Only 2000 of them were made and this one is a low number. And from what I understand they aint making any more of these up.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Sounds like a great deal to me. One bit of advice, watch the headspace. There ain't much shoulder on the 35. You may want to play with the resizing die until you get a good fit.

EOD3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.