Graybeard Outdoors banner

I guess I need.....

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  JimP. 
#1 ·
Well my wife would say want, but that is another topic. I am going to start a quest for a sub-compact/ compact 1911 in 45 of course. I have a full size R1, but have only ever shot ful size 1911's. Wondering about recoil, not that recoil is a problem, but I would like to be able to carry it so quick acurate 2nd and 3rd shot are improtant. Saw, on a LGS web site, a used S&W pro sub compact I will look at over the weekend. What are the thoughts of our 1911 side of the family?

#2 ·
Can't say about a subcompact 1911, but I have a Double Tap derringer in .45 ACP and it is truly brutal. I have fired exactly two rounds in it, one in each barrel. My hand hurt after that. If I needed it, I doubt I'd feel it till after, but otherwise... A full size 1911 is no problem to me but that little thing hurts.

#3 ·
While not a 1911 I have a Sig P245 in 45 and a S&W Shield in 40.
I find them both real guns.
The recoil is not a problem.
When I say real gun. I classify things as. Real guns (for self defense)
Full Size - Duty sized Gun
Mid Size - Chopped and Bobbed version of full size
Compact - Walther PP sized gun.
Sub Compact - Smaller than a Walther PP
Novelty - Something that is too small or too large to draw and shoot three well placed rounds.

Ammo choices may help with the recoil. The 40 Shield with 180 grain bullets has a little more recoil than I like, the 165 grain bullets work well for me. The P245 is a joy to shoot with 185 grain hollow points but not unmanageable with 230 grain.

A few years ago my buddy had a colt 1911 officers model. it was not too small, or uncontrollable, it was just heavy. And for the same size as my P230 at the time. The 230 was a lot more comfortable to carry. Dad has it now and I have replaced it with the Shield in 40 that is designed to carry. Mine has the thumb safety. It will not win a Bulls eye shoot, but has no problems putting three rounds in the 10 ring at 25 Feet. Too many people get hung up on accuracy of a carry gun.

#4 ·
I don't know if there is anything smaller now but a Colt Officer's ACP doesn't seem to have much more recoil than a regular 1911. I'd say the shorter sight radius makes it harder to hit beyond 10 meters but that may just be my old eyes. Torque is a little more pronounced but not uncontrollable.

#5 ·
HWB: I would not go any smaller than a Colt or equivalent Lightweight Commander Model. I regularly carried and shot one for over 44 years and then got a new one with all the bells and whistles, so to speak. She shoots hardball just fine and is as easy to shoot as my full size 1911. It seems that the 4.25" barrel of the Commander is about as short as I would go. I can shoot mine comfortably but shorter barrelled 45s may turn out to be ammo sensitive and neither easy or friendly to control. Colt isn't the only one who makes a lightweight 1911 in 45; Kimber does as well and I believe S&W also turns one out. Springfield, Taurus too? I forget who else.

And although you will find many, many 1911 design afficionados here, there are quality european name brands worthy or serious consideration, including of course the Sig, but also the EAA Witness line as well as the new Walthers in 45.

In dealing with the 45, I would rather go lighter weight that shorter barrel.........jmo

#7 ·
I regularly carry a Kimber Ultra Carry. Aluminum frame, 3 inch barrel. Weighs about 25 ounces or so. Compared to a lull size, steel frame 1911, it recoils a little more, and has more muzzle flip. Not bad, and in my eyes, still controllable. If you are concerned about recoil and muzzle flip, an aluminum framed Commander sized gun would also be a good choice, offering a full sized grip, along with a slightly shorter barrel, and lighter weight than the steel framed gun.

Larry

#8 ·
Well, I'm lovin' my Colt Defender.
It's been available for some time in 45acp and a friend who owns one swears by it's unfailing reliability. I've shot it quite a bit and it feels very nice for felt recoil and controllability.

For myself, I bought my own Defender in 9mm. It's one of my favorite carry pistols that I favor as much as my Lightweight Colt commander in 45acp (that I carry when I can carry a larger pistol).

#9 ·
I had an officers sized cdp Kimber that was a GREAT GUN. Ran like a top and was as accurate or more so then some of my bigger 1911s. Also had the cdp pro which was even better in my book. It had the officers grip frame with a commander length barrel. It too shot great and was dead reliable. these cdps are really a cheap gun but there ready to go out of the box with night sights, all corners rounded and a great trigger. Youd play **** having a gunsmith make a gun that complete for what they sell for.

#10 ·
I carry concealed and my weapon of choice is a Springfield Armory XDS in .45 ACP. There is a little more recoil than a full sized .45 but it is manageable and I feel very confident in its ability to stop a bad situation from getting worse. I used to carry a Glock G23 but it was just too bulky, heavy and awkward to conceal. I liked the Glock just not the bulk. The XDS is great, I love it and it conceals very easily and the accuracy is right there, that little gun eats the X ring out of targets consistently and recoil is not abusive. Take care, John.

#11 ·
I picked up this Rock Island Armory a few months ago. It has quickly become my choice of side arm when I head out in the woods. All steel so the recoil isn't bad for a 45 in the officer model size. With the 3.5" barrel it comes out of the holster nicely. As for accuracy, it hangs right in there with my other auto's.

Jim

Attachments

#12 ·
I just noticed this was originally posted in February of last year. I guess I need to start paying closer attention to that. Anyone hear what he bought ?

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.