Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend wanted to bring his uncle over to kill a hog. I’ve been baiting them in for a few weeks now getting them ready for my Alaska grandsons visit next month. He killed his first last year.

Anyway uncle and friend showed up. We put the corn out and they took up their stand with the gun on sandbags on the picnick table by the pool. I go inside and in about 30 minuets I hear a shot. I go out expecting to see a dead hog. Their tracking off towards the wooded area across the dirt road in front of my house.

I know my friend is a excelant shot and knows where to put that 50gr federal bullet in a hogs brain. But evidently uncle don’t know about brain shots. He said he shot the hog in the neck. Well no hog last night.

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
223 caliber then? Shot placemet and caliber for a Guest is "bigger is better" and a discussion prior to the hunt are hindsight being 20-20.

I have "my way" to kill hogs and it is solely based on my experience, confidence, and skill. I don't really know about someone else unless i have been hunting and shooting with them for some time.

It will (or won't) show up again to eat. If it does, it will probably be nocturnal and skittish. See what the Trail Camera says. If it returns, you need to put it down (with a big caliber) and toss that hog (tainted meat).

Keep a weather eye out.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sow was back but with 4 instead of 5 50# or so offspring, the brown one was missing. Uncle said he shot the brown one. Buzzards were circling ytd afternoon.

My friend was his Department’s markmship training officer. He uses a 22mag and is deadly with it. He said he told uncle where to shoot the hogs. Uncle is not a inexperienced hunter. He killed a elk in Colorado this year. He has killed brown bears in Alaska. But evidently he didn’t believe his nephew about a brain shot......

·
Registered
214 Posts
A hog's heart location is not like a deer, the deer heart is just right of the shoulder blade where the hog's heart is behind the shoulder blade. If it is an old boar hog you need at least a .223 or better to get penetration through the shoulder.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
from my own experience i've found that i do better with a head
shot if gun hunting a pig. the ones in this area always have a
thick coat of dried mud over the vitals, and any shot that makes
it into the pump house gets plugged up with fat and gristle and
doesn't leave a good blood trail at all like a deer shot in the same
place. the pigs i've shot with a bow seemed to have left better
blood trails than the gun shot ones, i'd guess because of a bigger
hole.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I have found so many bullets, pieces of bullets in hogs that lived til I killed them it's hard to believe. I think a lot of it was probably .224 in diameter from rimfire up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I see it all the time. .223 is a poor choice of cal. for hogs.
Yea yea shot placement and all, as you see here, AGAIN, wounded suffering animal. Kill them clean and ethical, .223 is a wounding caliber used to take humans out of combat. If that's all you have, is the only reason to use a .223 on Hogs. Why don't people understand with these small-mid game cals., we can't always get the perfect "lights out" shot, so don't take it!

In my opinion only, don't mean to piss people off, would just like to see more hunters use the right calibers for the game they are hunting.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I see it all the time. .223 is a poor choice of cal. for hogs.
Yea yea shot placement and all, as you see here, AGAIN, wounded suffering animal. Kill them clean and ethical, .223 is a wounding caliber used to take humans out of combat. If that's all you have, is the only reason to use a .223 on Hogs. Why don't people understand with these small-mid game cals., we can't always get the perfect "lights out" shot, so don't take it!

In my opinion only, don't mean to piss people off, would just like to see more hunters use the right calibers for the game they are hunting.

AGREED !!! :tango_face_sad:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Sorry to hear that Pastor
I recently had one similar,this was a new hunter shows up at camp with AR 223/556
I wasn’t happy but sat him down and explained,I don’t like wounded or mamed animals
I also explained all stand sights are 40.yrds or less (bow hunts) so taking heads shots
is simple.i went on to explain when you head shoot DRT zero tracking,I also explained
that if a wounded hog made it to the swamp, recovery was about impossible.
He sits the first night and within an hour a nice boar shows up, putting all my warnings
and explanations a side he puts one into the hogs chest.
The hog fell stood back up and ran towards the swamp,never to be recovered.
I was pretty upset and let him know, I also asked Why he didn’t do as I explained.
He said the hog was so big that he wanted the head for a trophy,and shooting as I told him
would ruin it.
I asked him how he felt about his trophy now and quit speaking before I said something I would regret

He has hunted about 6 more times since the bad move and hasn’t taken a single shot, and 2 of those
times he had hogs holding at about 80 yrds. He now owns a 30-06 lol from gravel to boulders.
I told him no matter the caliber if he wants the meat hit the ear. In time I’ll show him the neck.

·
Registered
672 Posts

This is my Florida wild hog rifle, a Mossberg model 464 in 30-30. It consistently shoots 170 grain Power Points into a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Typically I aim into the chest for a broadside shot and I've never had to track an animal. They either drop right away or run a short distance.

Afternoon showers are quite common within Florida. I call these events, "the daily drench." That's why a laminated stock or synthetic stock gets my support. 30-30 is a keeper!

TR

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
tr that is a nice looking rig, one I am certain that you are pleased to carry, and a very Good hog gun. I own two Marlin 336's in 30-30 caliber (with walnut stocks) and have consistently reloaded for those guns over 20-years. The caliber is quite forgiving with heavy for caliber bullets and its slower than magnum velocity, accuracy can be squeezed from its barrel, and they do put the hammer down on the pigs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts