Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....man...if you can afford the extra bucks...get the Remington, you will never regret it. I have been looking for a good deal on one myself. A Mossberg is certainly functional, I have gotten a lot of turkeys and such with it, but, you have to ask yourself if you want functional...or excellent. If you can find a good deal on an 870 Wingmaster, you will have the pride of the fleet. That sounds like a bird gun, but it just happens to be a damn fine shotgun, and I cant see any reason why you couldnt get a rifled barrel for it.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Mosseburg Shotgun?

Brian,

You know, I'm a little bothered by the Mossburg put downs! I've tried the Remington 870 Express and to my thinking, the Mossburg 500 is a lot better deal and they are a quality company willing to give you a decent product at a fair price. Their Young Shooter Deal start you off with a shorter stock length and reach and a 50% off coupon for another stock set when you are ready. I think Mossburg deserves a fair shake for offering the public good products. Just like Savage, sometimes they just seem to get kicked around and deserve better.

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
Mossberg 500

I'm a bit in agreement with SavageT - my 500 has been a good deal for me. I really like the safety location where I can keep an eye on it and its similar location to my over-unders. It doesn't feel quite as smooth or tight as the 870s I've handled but I like the bolt release location better. The way the bolt releases upon firing makes it easier for me to pump in a second shot more quickly- something I like about Winchesters too. Overall its been a good gun to keep in the bottom of my boat and bang around in our mudflats and other rough duty.

But I have some observations: a) Sometimes I do wish for a little more high quality feel to the gun. b) With some home made HEAVY turkey loads the extractors would lose grip on the shell and fail to extract - maybe I had slight overloads? The shells WERE resized. Never a failure with factory loads that I recall.

c) Mine has the synthetic stock and I wish the comb was much higher - I've built it up with duct tape and I shoot it much better. Might be a consideration on one to be used with a rifle barrel.

d)When I clean the barrel it looks and feels like there are some flat spots in the bore and I wonder what effect this has on the shot string. I would look at any rifle barrel bore real careful.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Mosseburg Shotgun?

I will go for the 870 anyday. Having poured a lot of #8, magnum buckshoot, and rifle slugs threw the same 870 for years and never seeing it fail has convinced me. I have seen many other 870's put under a lot of stress on the range and in combat courses. They just do not fail. I have fired it in butt deep freezing snow, and hot dry sand and it just keeps on working.

I am aware of one agency that forbids it's officers from carrying the 500 because of an accidental discharge that caused injury. The investigation team was able to repeat the failure a number of times.

Siskiyou

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Mosseburg Shotgun?

I have had two Mossbergs, one a 12 and the other a 20, and have gotten good service out of both. The 12 has taken a number of deer, using Brenneke slugs out of a smooth bore barrel.

Dand had some good observations. I also had extraction problems, and fixed them by replacing the extractors and springs. The receiver is light and that may be a problem if you use high performance sabots like the Winchester Supremes. Remington once made some 1 1/2 ounce slugs in a 3 inch case and I still have three left. I may will them to someone, because I am not planning on firing them in this lifetime. The first two out of the Mossberg were all the fun I could stand.

I would see which gun fit me better and get that one. Fit is really important with a shotgun. I don't think you would go wrong with either gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts