Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to be confused with my post about "which .223" - I ordered a Tikka .243 about 2 weeks ago and it finally arrived.

I have a Tikka Laminated Stainless in .25-06, and this is a Tikka Stainless Synthetic in .243.

Let me tell you, the synthetic stocks on the Tikkas are much better than the plastic stocks on the Remingtons and Winchesters (I should know as ALL of my Remchesters are stainless with plastic stocks).

The quality of this Tikka, like all other Tikkas, is just exceptional. Specifically, the trigger, bolt, and overall components and fit and finish is a clear cut above the rest. I just can't wait to shoot it. :gun4:

With regard to my "which .223" post, I'm starting to think that it's gonna be another Tikka. :mrgreen:

So how many of you out there have Tikkas in a .243? How do you like it?[/color]

Zachary

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tikka 243

I don't have one in 243, and I am envious. Are the trigger guards still resin/plastic?

What are you going to dress it with? 8)

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the original Whitetail hunter series, not the new T3, so yes, it has the plastic shroud and trigger guard. I am not very found of these characteristics, but they don't affect the performance of the rifle in any way - it's just cosmetic and personal preference (or lack there of.)

Anyway, I bought a Nikon Monarch 3x-9x-40mm from Jon at the Opticzone and that's what I decided to mount on the .243. Also, I have some Warne Maxima Silver Rings (rings only) that I will use to mount the scope to the rifle.

I know that it's going to be very accurate (as virtually all Tikkas are) but I think that it's also going to look real purdy. :)

Sound like a good set-up?

Zachary

·
3,205 Posts
I've got a Tikka in wood/blue in 243. It has a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 w/ leupold rings. It is the typical Tikka tackdriver. Out of the box easily under 1" groups @ 100. It is a pleasure to carry and shoot. :grin:

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like we pretty much got the same thing. Tikka 243 with Nikon Monarch 3x-9x-40.

I guess great minds DO[/color] think alike. :toast:

Zachary

·
Registered
158 Posts
:-D Zachary, My Tikka 243 wears blue & synthetic. It is topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 I p/u like new. I have had it for about a year now and have about 500rnds thru it. Factory loads it likes: Hornaday Custom 100gr BTSP, Federal 85gr BTHP, Federal 100gr BTSP. Factory loads it shoots, but does not digest very well: Rem 80 & 100gr PSP, Winchester 80 & 100gr PSP, Federal 70gr Speer TNT. I have not shot or reloaded any Nosler Ballistic Tips as of yet. It just does not shoot the flat base bullets very good. Reloading, it shoots Sierra 80gr BTSP Varmiter over IMR 4064, Sierra 100gr BTSP over IMR 4350 and Hornaday 100gr BTSP over IMR 4350 great. I am going to try Winchester Ball and Hodgdon in Varget, H-380, H-414 and H-4350 soon, when I get my reloading equipment set back up after moving. Let "US" know how the SS gun shoots as soon as you can. The SS gun may have a different appetite. Great choice again Counselor :wink: .

Randy
:D

BTW Zachary: Civil, Criminal or Corproate:?: :?:

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't touch criminal - not my cup of tea. I mainly practice International Litigation and International Corporate Law :grin:

I may try out the Winchester 100 Power Points first - mostly just to break in the barrel. Thereafter I'll try the Hornady 100 BTSPs (I've had my eye on them for a while).

What I am really looking forward to shooting in the .243 is the new Remington Core-Lokt ULTRA[/color]. This bullet is a premium version that is bonded and retains 85% ot 95% of its weight - kinda important when you are talking about a little 100 grain bullet.

Zachary

·
Registered
60 Posts
Zachary, what are you going to use the 243 on? I mean did you get it for a deer or varmint rifle? If you are like me, you will cut more holes in paper than anything else because they are such a pleasure to shoot. What is the barrel length? You make me want to go out and buy a new one. The one I have now is a Howa with a 3x generation III star lite scope. Zeroing a scope at night is a horse of a different color. ( green ) :) Enjoy it. :toast: OO

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buckshot,

To be honest (which I always am despite the fact that I'm a lawyer :grin: ), I got the .243 because, ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to have a big gun collection of almost all of the cartridges. Everything from .223 to .458. So far I have the following:

.25-06
.264 WM
.270 WSM
7mm-08
7mm Rem Mag
7mm Rem Ultra Mag
.30-06
.300 WM
.300 WM (I have two)
.338 WM
.375 H&H

So far that's 15 rifles and 14 different cartridges. Next I was thinking about the .223, 300 WSM, and we'll see from there. Actually, I was in my spare bedroom the other day (where I keep all of my guns and fishing poles, and I was kinda admiring them. :) You know, some people can be very materialistic - they want a nice house, expensive car, big boat, flashy clothes, membership at the country club, etc. While I do have relatively nice things, I would rather have a nice gun collection than a Mercedez 500 convertible (not that I can afford one at this point, but then again my gun collection, including shotguns and handguns, is about $25,000...you could buy a decent car for that.) I guess it's what makes you happy. As for me - I'm a "salt of the earth" kinda guy. I guess you could consider me somewhat of a high-end international lawyer city slicker with a good 'ole country folk heart and values. I love the outdoors because it was the outdoors, in addition to my conservative family values, that have molded me into the person that I am today - and I am proud of who I am and who I have remained to be. I always wanted a nice gun collection, and I am now living my dream. I truly am living the American dream.

Anyway, sorry about my "Living the American Dream Speech," I guess that I got a little patriotic and a little taken away.

Okay, back to your post, other than adding the .243 to my list. I intend to use the .243 mostly for target shooting at the range, then also for southern whitetail deer hunting, and - only if it happens to be the only gun I have on me when deer hunting, hog hunting as well.

Zachary

·
3,205 Posts
From my way of thinking . . . simple is always better. In life, faith and guns. My 243 is simple. It shoots anything I put in it, it hits where I aim it and it is a pleasure to carry. :grin:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Zachary,

Hey, I just posted on your 223 question. Anyhow, I'm also needing a 243. That's what my 12 yr old wants. I've tried talking him into a 7mm-08 but he doesn't want anything that will kick hard.

So, the more I look at the Tikkas the more I like them. But, I just can't get past the the clip. I owned a 788 for 6 yrs and had 3 clip springs break on me and short term where is that clip syndrome.

Anyhow, I'm being a good dad and listening to my kids. So... a local shop has the walnut stock version for $460 in 243. I'm a Rem guy when it comes to bolt actions but it may not take much to sway me to the Tikka.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$460 for the walnut version sounds about right, but there is some wiggle room for negotiating, if possible.

I haven't shot my .243 yet, but if it's anything like my Tikka in .25-06 - it should be a tack driver.

The bolt throw on the Tikkas are just effortless. You can work the bolt with your pinky finger. Try doing that with a Remington 700 or Winchester 70.

Zachary

·
Registered
60 Posts
:D Nice collection big guy. It has a gap on the front end. No 220 swift. You are right about having a few things to make all the hours spent at work worth the effort. I hate to think we work to make money just to pay bills. I went up on our family farm and built a post and beam house so I could wake up in the morning and watch the deer and turkey eating the clover I planted along with the grass seed. I have a deck on the back of the house that is sixty x fourteen feet. The back of the yard is sixty seven yards from the deck. I have several large rocks back there for pistol targets. It is nice to walk out on the deck and empty a clip any time I want. I built a gun room in the basement by running a block wall from side to side fourteen feet out from the back wall of the basemen. That makes that room 14x35ft. One half is reloading space and the other will be a photographic dark room eventually. All this is what I dreamed about while teaching high school students anatomy and ecology. Now I can load up a few rounds and take the 6mm to the back side of the farm away from everyone and shoot at the 100 yard or 300 yard target rang sitting at the same bench. And the " cherry" on top is when my shooting partner brings his electric trap over and we shoot "at" 250 birds last Saturday. He has a voice activated control for that little beauty. He says pull and there it goes. Well it does not take much to make me happy. New house, rifle range, turkey and deer in the yard. Neighbors wanting me to keep the ground hogs out of their bean fields. I have a ten year old truck to rattle out to the been fields. Throw a piece of carpet over the hood, set up the rest and mount the leupold spotting scope on the window to find the little furry creatures. I use a 6mm in a Ruger # 1 with a 6.5x20 leupold with target dot. What a way to spend the summer. Well I am retired and living my dream. Here's to you Zach OO :toast: 8)

P.S. $25,000 gun collection? I have seen bass boats that cost more than that. You don't have too much money invested yet. Get a 1000 yd. rifle. That is going to be my next toy.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tell ya what...after listening to you talk about your summer house, I'm a bit jealous - but in a truly good way. :p Lately, I have dreamed about having a house out in the country - a place where I can get away from all the hustle and bustle of international law.

It sounds like you have a great place. Here's to all the folk that are simple, honest, and genuine, and God bless us all. :toast:

Zachary :grin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Zach, I have moved to the"farm house" full time. I am selling the house in town. I have a 1950 ford tractor and enough old equipment to keep the farm from growing up and plant feed for the wild life along with a little vegetable gardening. The rest of the time is ground hog hunting and fishing. I am a dedicated bobber fisherman. I have an eleven foot collapsible crappie rods with no reel. It has a little clip to wind line on and one eye on the tip. I love to put a hook and bobber on it and find a place to drown worms. :lol: OO

·
Registered
163 Posts
I came VERY close to buying a Tikka .243 (stainless/wood) a month and ahlf ago, but it got warm and I bought a new Garmin chartplotter instead. Maybe in the fall that new Tikka will find it's way into my arsenal. :grin:

P.S. Zach, thanks for all of the help that you gave back then, I really appreciate it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Grouper,

I'm sure that you will put the new Garmin to good use. :wink:

BTW, you said a Tikka .243 in Stainless and Wood? The Tikka in .243 is not available in Stainless/Wood. Stainless/Synthetic, yes, Blue/Synthetic, yes, Blue/Wood, yes, but Stainless/Wood, no?

Zachary

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just bought a Tikka 243 yesterday. The master whitetail model, with the wood stock. It's what my son will use this fall, but me thinks it will see some chuck fields this summer. So on goes a scope. Work up a load with the 58gr v-max and see how it does.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts