Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read FAQ several times through and I am still not clear. I have an H&R topper model 58 serial AN =1975, pre transfer bar firing pin. I'd like to try to put a 44 mag barrel on it. Is it safe or is this model too old?Some information suggest that since it is a low pressure pistol cartridge it should be ok. Other Info I read here says frame material is not sufficient, other info suggest the rebound firing pin could be an issue.....Let the beatings commence

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
No beating from me I would do it, as long as it is not a large firing pin it should work as long as it isn't a reamed barrel. But even with a standard 44 mag you may get some primer flow back into a large firing pin hole. - Just my thoughts, But others may advise differently. So please read on..... thejanitor

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
With .44 pressures of about 35,000 I don't think you will have any problems even with the large firing pin hole. Just don't "hot rod" it if you reload.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the 40k rule was in play more or less but wanted to be clearer on it. There was a little question about the rebounding firing pin vs the transfer bar but I had read about the 30-30 combo's that pre-dated the transfer bar. The barrel is in shipping process so I have not had a chance to check fit yet, if not I have some newer NEF frames that I can use, but the Topper is my first choice. I picked it up this past summer it is in near mint condition as far as no rust, ding, or wear . Someone has done a professional job of threading it for Rem Chokes (barrel says MOD) so I'm sure it's after manufacturing upgrade. I'd like to pick up a 410 for it and have a complete all season setup.
Thanks for the reply's I appreciate the input .....Joey

·
Super Moderator
51,506 Posts
The AN frame is fine for the 44 mag, in fact the M155 Shikari was offered in 44 mag in 1975, same cast iron frame. SAAMI MAP for the 44 mag is 36kpsi.

Tim

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
jmor said:
....Let the beatings commence
You must have us confused with one of those other forums. We are nice and welcoming and get you comfortable, THEN WE STRIKE! Infecting you with the Handihaulic virus! Soon you will not be able to think of anything else! Then our plan will be complete! HA HA HA!

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Put a 45 classic stock with the curved buttplate on it. Your shoulder will give out before the frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)
George

·
Registered
791 Posts
jmor, OL BW is correct we are more welcoming here. GBO is the home of ''Enablers Unanimous'' and we are here to help you acquire more HandiRifles. Enjoy yourself here, take care, John. ;) ;D

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-classifieds/44-mag-barrel-for-sale-303936/

Here is a link to a picture of an older 44 mag barrel that Trophy Tom sold to me. He said it came off a topper 158. I don't know but it sure looks like a topper barrel. Has the lite profile. The barrel fits the topper frames ok but fit the newer sb1 and sb2 frames better so that is what it will be paired with. The topper frames I have are a little looser than the more current frames. Not sure if that is just my case or true across the board.

I just got the barrel back from my gunsmith who welded the barrel lug on a little better than what is shown in the photos. It is going to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots.

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
If you reload make sure you go with large rifle primers, they are thicker. I had a few pierced primers and flow with pistol primers in some combinations but switching to Rifle primers took care of the problem, as long as you dont get ridiculous with the pressure.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Morning and welcome JMOR.

You got us wrong! :) About the worst you will get here is "Check the FAQ's!" But following will usually be the answer anyhow. 8) 8) 8)

We are proud of the FAQ's and all the hard work compiling that Timmy has done. But you are correct, there is allot and sometimes its a lil difficult to get what you want as its in a thread and you need to read thru the extraneous information, to get the morsel your needing. :)

I agree with the guys in that you should be just fine with the 44mag on that frame. My 357MAXI came form the factory on the same frame and was on there for many many hundreds of rounds. I have since moved it to a SB2 but more in an effort to center the FP strike than any worries of stregnth.

Good luck with yours,
CW

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the late reply here , I received the barrel and it required a little fitting but it came out nice. I shot about a dozen rounds through it. I managed just the other side of 2" with Winchester white box at 100 yards on a solid rest. No issues with anything, went bang every time, no primer flow back or piercings. I appreciate the help and info here it was nice to get such very informative reply's. I have been on a few forums where you had to sift through the negative blow back to get some answers to about any question. Positively not the case here. I'm a reloader so I will keep everything mid range and under. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all

·
Registered
226 Posts
jmor said:
Sorry for the late reply here , I received the barrel and it required a little fitting but it came out nice. I shot about a dozen rounds through it. I managed just the other side of 2" with Winchester white box at 100 yards on a solid rest. No issues with anything, went bang every time, no primer flow back or piercings. I appreciate the help and info here it was nice to get such very informative reply's. I have been on a few forums where you had to sift through the negative blow back to get some answers to about any question. Positively not the case here. I'm a reloader so I will keep everything mid range and under. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all
Thanks for the update....
Mostly we never get to hear about results.

Merry Christmas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts