Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My most carried and used handguns are 4"n-frames in .44 spl./mag, .45 acp, and .45 long colt with 4" barrels. It doesn't get any better. These are simply the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
N-Frames

Yes, they are GRRRREAT, but to large for some of our hands!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I LIKE N-FRAME SMITHS IN CALIBERS THAT STAR

L-Roy,

Short of purchasing custom stocks, you might try what has worked for my wife if you have small hands. With the following setup she can shoot even the old "long" action S&W 45 frame revolvers in D.A. mode well. This won't be too comfy with a 44 Mag, or a "warmly loaded" 45 Colt, but it does work well for 44 Specials and 45 ACP/AR's. (The "Magna Grip" was introduced in '37 because of the recoil of the 357 Mag)

Try factory standard stocks produced before 1937, plus a grip adapter (an old Pachmyer, a Tyler, or even a factory adapter). Grip adapters come in different sizes. Find one that fits you. Use a shooting glove. Check the stocks on your N-Frame before you purchase them. All stocks produced prior to WWI and some produced thereafter were fitted to individual frames, some will fit current production revolvers much better than others.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
N-Frames

L-Roy: Bfoster is right about the grip adapter. I forgot to mention that in my last post. All my Smith and Wessons except the J-frames carry standard service panels (small factory grips or an alternative) and a Tyler T grip Adapter.

The magna grips are not too big for my hand, they just don't give me the right feeling for double action magnum shooting. The standard service panels is what S&W calls the small factory grips (non-magna grips) and fit alright but the Tyler T-grip, at about $5 per adapter, makes it just right. You may wish to try one for yourself.

Hope this helps. Mikey.

·
Premium Member
4,540 Posts
factory grip adapter

bfoster, I would like to find one of these for a model 27 I have with a 3 1/2" tube, to duplicate the one that Patton carried. If you know of any at a reasonable price let me know, thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Grips

Hay S.B.: Check the Shotgun News - just about every other issue carries a couple of pages of replacement grips - actually, they're not replacements, they are original factory grips. They may have a pair that fit that 3.5 inch Model 27 of yours. That's the same one that I have and I just love it but mine carries a pair of black Buffalo Horn grips with a Tyler T-Grip. It's a honey. Mikey.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I LIKE N-FRAME SMITHS IN CALIBERS THAT STAR

Everybody has different size hands but for me, the Pachmayr Compact grip puts the first joint of my trigger finger just to the right of the right side of the trigger on my 3" 625-3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts